Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:46 pm 

For fun and simplicity, airguns are hard to beat!

Personally, if I'm hunting anything bigger than a pigeon, I'll got for powder burner.
- 22 pellets @ 950fps = +/- 36 ft/lbs
- 22lr (40gr) @ 1250fps = +/- 140 ft/lbs

For sh!t & g!ggles, a Mosin Nagant M91/30 Rifle and an 880rd case of 7.62x54R for less than $500 is hard to beat :bear:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:02 pm 

Joolz, I'm with you and follow your reasoning. We are just outside in Winnipeg, but I don't know anyone with a large piece of property,so I too would be generally stuck going to a range.

We do not have as elaborate a range setup as you have out your way Daryl. The fees certainly seem worthwhile given the amenities and number of options members have.

I think maybe one powder burner is in order, but for everyday/target use an airgun seems like it will do everything I need.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:49 pm 

A .22 LR in a bolt gun- repeater or single shot is about the least expensive way of PB's. If shooting a CF and casting your own bullets, you can get the price of centre fire down close to RF & cheaper than the .17HMR or .22 Mag. depending on CF calibre, of course.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:20 pm 

maybe a nice cz45x model for rimfire, and a nice airgun or two!

i like .223 and eyeing a .308 soon i hope but still enjoy shooting airguns.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:43 pm 

Daryl wrote:
If shooting a CF and casting your own bullets...

Yeah... casting and reloading to save money :lol: next thing you know, you're buying odd guns, in odd calibres, because eh! It's only one more set of dies/molds :axe:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:20 am 

Joolz wrote:
I see you live just north of me.
You must be more computer literate then me ... how can you tell I'm "just north" of you?

Quote:
Mind pointing out a place where one can shoot pb rifles for free around our area? Sure, there are the odd crown land out west but last I heard even that is getting harder to go shoot a rifle. If you know of a place around here that allows you to shoot a rifle without requiring a costly range membership, I'm all ears. Would be just I need to justify getting that .22 bolt action.
The easiest way is to go to a farmer and ask if he has any problems with gophers.
Quote:
Scenario: you get pulled over for whatever reason and cop wants to look at your trunk. Sees an air rifle with a tin of pellets nearby. Would he throw the book at you? Not sure but likely not and unless you shout from the top of your lungs 'it's a firearm!' I don't see how you'd be in handcuffs over that. Same scenario, box of .22 amo alongside a rifle and the outcome may be a lot different. Just in case you misinterpreted what was said above.
By this statement, it appears that you do not follow proper transportation protocol. I hope you don't get stopped and searched.
Cops can stop me anytime and do a search ... regardless if I have a rifle or pistols with me ... I am compliant with the regulations.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:37 am 

Stihltech wrote:
Joolz wrote:
I see you live just north of me.
You must be more computer literate then me ... how can you tell I'm "just north" of you?

Quote:
Mind pointing out a place where one can shoot pb rifles for free around our area? Sure, there are the odd crown land out west but last I heard even that is getting harder to go shoot a rifle. If you know of a place around here that allows you to shoot a rifle without requiring a costly range membership, I'm all ears. Would be just I need to justify getting that .22 bolt action.
The easiest way is to go to a farmer and ask if he has any problems with gophers.
Quote:
Scenario: you get pulled over for whatever reason and cop wants to look at your trunk. Sees an air rifle with a tin of pellets nearby. Would he throw the book at you? Not sure but likely not and unless you shout from the top of your lungs 'it's a firearm!' I don't see how you'd be in handcuffs over that. Same scenario, box of .22 amo alongside a rifle and the outcome may be a lot different. Just in case you misinterpreted what was said above.
By this statement, it appears that you do not follow proper transportation protocol. I hope you don't get stopped and searched.
Cops can stop me anytime and do a search ... regardless if I have a rifle or pistols with me ... I am compliant with the regulations.

Dont kid yourself....if the LEO wants you to have a bad day, you're going to have one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:21 am 

Police ruin your day?
Sorry, but unless your car look like this, or you act like a total jerk... LEO have better things to do than stop people to see if they have a rifle in their trunks

(No offence to all the owners of pimped-civic)

The only time having guns in the trunk was ever a "trouble" (if you can call it that) was when crossing the border... and even then, it was only an issue when coming back into Canada, when some border agent didn't know the rules for safe transport of non-restricted firearms... 10 minutes, a few phone calls, and the issue was resolved with a :sorry for the delay sir, we'll take note of that.

-

To the OP, asking a farmer to shoot on his land and deal with gophers is
- A great way to make a new friend
- If you're nice and respectful of his property/livestock, he'll most likely recommend you to his neighboor
- In the spring, he might even throw a few $ your way to help cover the cost of the ammo :wink:

-

To the OP, have made up a list of features you'd like in your new 'pal' rated gun?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:09 am 

I only been pulled over once with firearms in my trunk. I was coming out of the range road and I had a little mud on my tires and I started to spin when I cut onto the road. Police happened to see me and hear me. Yes when I was 20 I had a modified Accord.

Now I carry a black book with all my information and the transportation requirements ( ATT, Range cards, CFO business card, Reg certs, print out on LAR 15 mags, Brochure from the RCMP on transporting ) . Normally when traveling it stays in the front seat. So I can easily hand it to the officer when I declare that I have firearms in the trunk.

Im still trying to justify the 300$ local gun club 5 mins drive. Than the hour drive so I can shoot more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:43 am 

To the OP...

Buy 3 firearms and then stick with air guns.

You never know how the landscape may change in the future, depending on who is elected, changing public perception, and so on. So perhaps buy them while you still can. Hunting is another potential future activity. You may have no interest now, but nobody can predict the future.

So...everybody needs a good .22, a 30-06, and a 3" 12 Gauge.

Get a nice bolt action .22.
.22 is a filthy cartridge. If you keep a light coat of oil on your guns, in the action, it will quickly turn to sludge after a few hundred rounds of .22 and this is ESPECIALLY true of an auto-loader. Bolt actions are inherently accurate and very simple to clean. In other words, you wont avoid cleaning it because it is a PITA.

Ditto for 30-06
That caliber has enough different factory bullet weights for any game in Canada. Of course it would not be my first choice for some, BUT it will work just fine. Ammo is plentiful and if you're going to have only one center-fire, that would be it. Can also use for 300yd plus plinking which is awesome fun ;)

12 Gauge
Everyone needs at least one ;) Very versatile gun. Trap, hunting, duck, upland bird, and so on. Deer with a slug barrel. Also fun just to go out and play with. Anything from cheap Winchester Defender, to 870 Remington pump, 1100 auto loader, etc etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:52 pm 

ITGUY wrote:
To the OP...

You never know how the landscape may change in the future, depending on who is elected, changing public perception, and so on. So perhaps buy them while you still can. Hunting is another potential future activity. You may have no interest now, but nobody can predict the future.

.22 is a filthy cartridge. If you keep a light coat of oil on your guns, in the action, it will quickly turn to sludge after a few hundred rounds of .22 and this is ESPECIALLY true of an auto-loader. Bolt actions are inherently accurate and very simple to clean. In other words, you wont avoid cleaning it because it is a PITA.

Ditto for 30-06
That caliber has enough different factory bullet weights for any game in Canada. Of course it would not be my first choice for some, BUT it will work just fine. Ammo is plentiful and if you're going to have only one center-fire, that would be it. Can also use for 300yd plus plinking which is awesome fun ;)

12 Gauge
Everyone needs at least one ;) Very versatile gun. Trap, hunting, duck, upland bird, and so on. Deer with a slug barrel. Also fun just to go out and play with. Anything from cheap Winchester Defender, to 870 Remington pump, 1100 auto loader, etc etc.

Good advice as well. Likely will get a shotgun, maybe 20g so the wife can enjoy shooting it at times too. She's fired a 12g before and it was a bit of a handful. Might not be taking down a grizzly with a 20g but it's still got some oomph. I wouldn't want to end up on the business end of one!
I may look to attend a gun show and see what offerings they have. Too bad we don't have many out this way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:07 pm 

ITGUY wrote:
To the OP...

Ditto for 30-06

12 Gauge

300 guns I only ever owned 3 12 gauges ( My best one was a Rem 1100 ) Never owned a 3006, 308 is what I use.

All I shoot is 22LR now. My 22/45 has about 1500rds thru it w/o cleaning it. My Single Six gets cleaned more than my 2245 only because I get a sticky cylinder. My cooey never gets cleaned. 10/22 barely clean it. I only clean my 22LR when it starts having issues.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:59 pm 

After all the input and suggestions, I am looking at a Condor as an option instead of a powder gun. Seems very versatile and has the ability to dial the power up and down. Only issue I have besides not being able to handle one in person before buying is the lack of a magazine of any kind. I do enjoy the convenience of a magazine system and may regret the single shot.
This would be in addition to a 20g shotgun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:50 am 

Stihltech wrote:
lol I ask you to point where one can shoot a pb other than a range in our area and THIS is what you come up with? :roll:

Stihltech wrote:

Here's the trick I'm willing to share with you, this one time:
1- Start computer/ipad/iphone (or an yet-to-explode Samsung)
2- Visit this forum using your favourite browser
3- Glance/stare/glaze at the location listed under user name

It ain't complicated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:41 am 

Joolz wrote:
Stihltech wrote:
lol I ask you to point where one can shoot a pb other than a range in our area and THIS is what you come up with? :roll:
It worked for me ... maybe I have better luck then you.

Stihltech wrote:
Here's the trick I'm willing to share with you, this one time:
1- Start computer/ipad/iphone (or an yet-to-explode Samsung)
2- Visit this forum using your favourite browser
3- Glance/stare/glaze at the location listed under user name

It ain't complicated.
Thanks for this tip ... I never thought of checking this.
Where exactly does it show that I am just north of you?

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC