Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:28 am 

Not much to add here, other than "bookmarking" this page by adding a comment as I plan to do this to one of my Phantoms soon. Also to thank Rickspace for the recommendation of the medium spring. Sounds like a good compromise. Lose some 10% of the power by not going with the full power spring but get a less high-strung gun that's easier to cock and other niceties. Ricksplace, did you by any chance try to add a second layer of the yogurt container? These seem pretty thin, wonder if there's room for a second layer?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:39 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Not much to add here, other than "bookmarking" this page by adding a comment as I plan to do this to one of my Phantoms soon. Also to thank Rickspace for the recommendation of the medium spring. Sounds like a good compromise. Lose some 10% of the power by not going with the full power spring but get a less high-strung gun that's easier to cock and other niceties. Ricksplace, did you by any chance try to add a second layer of the yogurt container? These seem pretty thin, wonder if there's room for a second layer?

There would not be room. I used the plastic from "Astro Original Balkan style natural Yogurt. 750g Red and white printing. My calipers measure .021" thick. You could probably go a little thicker, up to .030. I tried a more rigid plastic from a 920g Folgers coffee can. I couldn't get it to roll tight enough to work. The Astro plastic works OK and is really tough. You can't tear it by hand, but it's easily trimmed with scissors.
I'm going to keep on the lookout for some tough, slippery plastic about .030" thick. I've been eyeballing the laundry detergent plastic bottle. As soon as it's empty, out comes the boxcutter. Sometimes I get weird looks when I cruise down the yogurt aisle randomly squeezing yogurt containers. People smile sweetly when they realize I'm a senior. Damn it's fun getting old.

Cheers!

Rick.

PS. Since the medium power spring is a little smaller in diameter than the full power spring (same i.d., but .118 wire compared to .122 wire) the Astro plastic might be a better fit for the full power spring.

Edit: I had to turn down the diameter of the tophat to the same as the OD of the spring to fit inside the piston with the liner. You can chuck it in a drill motor and use a file to reduce the diameter.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:14 pm 

Hi Ricksplace

I`m really liking the idea of the medium spring you have installed. Before Christmas I installed the full power spring and tested, the Phantom did improve in a lot of ways, but I do remember how `Dawg`hard it was to cock! I think this might be a better solution for me also, especially if I`d only be losing around 60fps?

I'd rather be plinking having fun than giving my arms a workout!! :shock: haha

thanks for the info as I wasn't even aware there was a medium version..

coder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:32 am 

After a tin of pellets, the velocity of my 22 phantom has slowed down to 610-620 fps. I guess assembly lubes took a little longer than usual to burn off. The new spring probably took a set too. It's shooting at 12fpe now. Very smooth shot cycle, and pretty much mid way between the sub-pal at 500 fps and full power at 700 fps.
You could probably achieve similar results using the stock full power spring and reducing the length of the large spacer at the rear of the spring guide. I have a Fury .177 sproinger that I did this to. I cut the spacer in half, thereby reducing the preload by 3/4". Velocity dropped from 960/7.9gr to 880 for 13fpe with the stock spring. Same results, less cocking force, smoother shot cycle, less pellet picky, less recoil, more accurate, and the now the biggy -it's more fun to shoot. As an added bonus, that now de-stressed spring should have a very long lifespan.
You can cut the spacer with a hacksaw and file it square by eye. The tolerances on that part are not critical. If you screw it up, replacement parts are cheap and available.
Member TCooper recently did a review of a full power Optimus with various length spacers and resultant chrono readings. Good info there. All the aforementioned guns are basic B18 derivatives.

Cheers,
Rick.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects