Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: SSP Video
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:31 pm 

Heres a link my youtube video. It took a long time to make this video, because I'm technologically challenged. Please be kind. My videos will improve as I use the editing program more. Enjoy. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdh06WhhQME

Post subject: Re: SSP Video
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:33 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
Heres a link my youtube video. It took a long time to make this video, because I'm technologically challenged. Please be kind. My videos will improve as I use the editing program more. Enjoy. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdh06WhhQME

I dont know why it starts in the middle of the video.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:55 pm 

Starts fine here, think your browser has it cached which could explain why it starts in the middle. Not bad at all for a first attempt, decent editing, stable enough shot featuring the gun with slow enough pace in order to show the details from most angles. Audio is pretty clear. A great demonstration of a very nice gun. If I was to nit pick it'd be the background music but that's just me, I'm allergic to bkg music in videos. But hey, I can easily reach for the mute button in the keyboard when that's on :P
Amazing machinery that 22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:31 pm 

Nice gun.....looks solid too.....I'd buy one.Video looks great at my end...... :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:58 pm 

well done Joe im very impressed .... 8) 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:09 pm 

That's really cool! Never seen anything pumped like that before.

S&W M29 8 3/8" Pellet
Dan Wesson 715 Nickel 6" Pellet
Sig Sauer M17 Pellet
KWC 1911 Tac .BB
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:55 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Starts fine here, think your browser has it cached which could explain why it starts in the middle. Not bad at all for a first attempt, decent editing, stable enough shot featuring the gun with slow enough pace in order to show the details from most angles. Audio is pretty clear. A great demonstration of a very nice gun. If I was to nit pick it'd be the background music but that's just me, I'm allergic to bkg music in videos. But hey, I can easily reach for the mute button in the keyboard when that's on :P
Amazing machinery that 22

You were right about the browser. Works fine now. And thanks for the comment.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:03 pm 

Interesting and nicely made video, Joe! Wish you much success with your rifle :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:30 pm 

Nice execution of the rifle Joe . I think there is a market for it . I know I would buy one . Great video too. 20fpe from a single stroke is impressive . Well done .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:33 pm 

Earlier I commented on the video, here's my comments on the gun now that I had the chance to watch it in full:
Congratulations on this unique design. As a fan of pneumatics, this takes the cake. Never seen a double-handed system of cocking before. Even the 953 can be a bit tricky to cock but your design makes the whole thing stable since the butt can rest on the floor, not to mention the huge amount of air it compresses.

First impression of the gun is very positive, love the military look (and I'm not referring to the camo job). Figured you tried to make it look like a FX or something in that style. Was taken by surprise when you cocked it and realized where the look came from. So neat to see this scissor jack way of cocking. Always wondered if it was possible for someone to create a SSP that offered more power than the 953. Well, you answered that question.

Suppose the question that everyone else is asking after watching the vid is: will it come with one of these works of art JH wood stocks?

A more technical question: do you think the steel version will provide more consistent pressure? Even at full stroke there is quite a spread in fps which makes me wonder if it'd affect accuracy.

No hauling along scuba tanks; no need to work out a sweat pumping the gun to fill it; no need to replace CO2 cartridges every few shots. Yep, this has the markings of a winner. Sign me up for the Freedom 717 (suppose that'd be the .17 version)
Great job. Will definitely keep an eye out on future developments.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:46 am 

Joolz wrote:
Earlier I commented on the video, here's my comments on the gun now that I had the chance to watch it in full:
Congratulations on this unique design. As a fan of pneumatics, this takes the cake. Never seen a double-handed system of cocking before. Even the 953 can be a bit tricky to cock but your design makes the whole thing stable since the butt can rest on the floor, not to mention the huge amount of air it compresses.

First impression of the gun is very positive, love the military look (and I'm not referring to the camo job). Figured you tried to make it look like a FX or something in that style. Was taken by surprise when you cocked it and realized where the look came from. So neat to see this scissor jack way of cocking. Always wondered if it was possible for someone to create a SSP that offered more power than the 953. Well, you answered that question.

Suppose the question that everyone else is asking after watching the vid is: will it come with one of these works of art JH wood stocks?

A more technical question: do you think the steel version will provide more consistent pressure? Even at full stroke there is quite a spread in fps which makes me wonder if it'd affect accuracy.

No hauling along scuba tanks; no need to work out a sweat pumping the gun to fill it; no need to replace CO2 cartridges every few shots. Yep, this has the markings of a winner. Sign me up for the Freedom 717 (suppose that'd be the .17 version)
Great job. Will definitely keep an eye out on future developments.

Thanks joolz. I was hoping to put a wood stock, and hopefully with everything trimmed down with the steel version, I might be able to. I do have a makeshift disco stock modified to fit, but the metal military look, looks better. As for .177. I tried a .177 barrel and only gained 60 fps. However I think I could make 800 fps if I tweaked the TP for .177 . However... the whole exercise was about creating a .22 cal full power ssp. So I concentrated on that. As for the erratic ES. At the time of that video portion, the intake valve was sticking so I wasn't getting the same amount of air each time. Its since been fixed, and normally the ES is under 10 fps
Also, for that video I was pushing the limits as far as power adjustments could be pushed. It was more for proof of concept, that it was possible, but with that much stress on the mechanics, not practical. As stated in the video, the steel version will handle the stress better.
We are hoping that the steel can be trimmed down enough that the weight doesn't get unmanageable. Right now it weighs 11 pounds with the scope.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:10 pm 

As much as my jaw drops each time I see your wood stocks I want my Freedom 717 (or 770?) with a metal stock. Especially if it can be made adjustable, a la M4 style or even via a locking nut. Wouldn't want to risk scratching a wood stock by having it resting on the floor while cocking.

Was referring to the resemblance the cocking mechanism has to the bbl heat shield of a tactical gun. At the beginning of the vid when you do the walkaround it looked like a military tactical weapon. Was thinking you had put looks before function. Then when I saw you cocking it and realized this was 100% function I thought it was truly neat. This really added to the "sold!" factor.
Attachment:
bbl-heat-shield.jpg
bbl-heat-shield.jpg [ 16.13 KiB | Viewed 2288 times ]

I realize it's early in the development phase but here's an idea to consider down the road: adding indents throughout the cocking length to help identify speed. For instance there could be a slight feel/indent to indicate 400fps for those wanting to shoot in their basements. You know, a way to ensure consistency so not to affect POI. Or perhaps even a paint mark or something to indicate speed. Sure these minor details can be thought of down the road but to be at the stage when you can actually start thinking of these is a testament to how far you've come. Also good to hear the ES was caused by a sticking valve and easily rectified. Yep, this truly has the markings of a winner. Especially when you can go head to head with the best springers and PCPs and still come out ahead. I mean, do any of these even come close to 20fpe in .22?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:25 pm 

Great looking gun Joe. I'll have to get over to have a look at it.
I think it would look better with steel stock or something similar instead of wood for that type of gun. Would buy one and design my own stock from lexan or
Are you getting snow today, lots here in River John.
Wayne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:30 pm 

Good video Joe. Since the .177 only gets barely 800fps - it's not worth it. .177 is the wrong direction is seems. I would think even .20 is also wrong. Since this design does better with the heavier pellets - THAT is the direction to go. A .25 with a few tweeks might be best of all.

My note about the .177, is that my HW97 with only a 9" bl. gets 895fps with 7.93gr. and 872fps with 8.2gr. JSB's & that is only 14fpe.

Your .22 blows the doors off my HW98, though. It runs 680fps with 14.43gr. Crossman HP's for 14.8fps and 603fps with 19.09 gr. H&N's for 15.4fpe.
At 20fpe, you are matching my Brocock Concept, which I don't seem to have any recorded speeds for - Hmmm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:41 pm 

Joolz wrote:
As much as my jaw drops each time I see your wood stocks I want my Freedom 717 (or 770?) with a metal stock. Especially if it can be made adjustable, a la M4 style or even via a locking nut. Wouldn't want to risk scratching a wood stock by having it resting on the floor while cocking.

Was referring to the resemblance the cocking mechanism has to the bbl heat shield of a tactical gun. At the beginning of the vid when you do the walkaround it looked like a military tactical weapon. Was thinking you had put looks before function. Then when I saw you cocking it and realized this was 100% function I thought it was truly neat. This really added to the "sold!" factor.
Attachment:
bbl-heat-shield.jpg

I realize it's early in the development phase but here's an idea to consider down the road: adding indents throughout the cocking length to help identify speed. For instance there could be a slight feel/indent to indicate 400fps for those wanting to shoot in their basements. You know, a way to ensure consistency so not to affect POI. Or perhaps even a paint mark or something to indicate speed. Sure these minor details can be thought of down the road but to be at the stage when you can actually start thinking of these is a testament to how far you've come. Also good to hear the ES was caused by a sticking valve and easily rectified. Yep, this truly has the markings of a winner. Especially when you can go head to head with the best springers and PCPs and still come out ahead. I mean, do any of these even come close to 20fpe in .22?

We discussed the idea of markings, but found that after shooting for just a short while, you automatically know where the pump stroke needs to be for a given power. However, on the next version, there might be marks on the pump shaft.