Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:57 pm 

heres my little review of the new Beretta APX:

I just received it this morning, bought from airgunsource.com

low cost entry level blowback pistol,

The finish on the gun is pretty well, the gun feel verry solid in hand, the plastic feel strong, nice Beretta logos on the grips and on the mag plate.
safety lever is verry easy to use and well placed on the gun, trigger is thick and trigger pull is medium (double action only, load the bb's while pulling the trigger) The mag is a stick mag, but feel verry nice when inserting and removing (spring loaded), the sound it makes when inserting the mag is verry sharp! quality sound, tight fit no freeplay. The slide is pretty thick and heavy, the only downside is the small freeplay all around the slide, but it's not a deal breaker to me. The internal valve when exposed in the open port looks stronger than previous gun of the same kind I saw in the past, all black components. Slide catch is well made and easy to access, and also is verry close to the gun, verry compact. The texture of the grips front, back, side, is awesome, remind me the glock gen 4, impossible to have the gun slip out of your hand, ergonomy is like the H&K 45, fit the hand perfectly. It's the size of a Glock 17. sights are white dot, easy to aim. The accuracy is verry good, shoot straight at 15 feet, no need to compensate in X and Y, around 1''-1.5'' grouping. The power is pretty good too, I was able to pass both side of a metal soup can on the first few shots, then on one side until the end of the shots (approx 70-80 shots per co2). The slide lock back each time on empty mag. The blowback strenght is fairly good, not like the ISSC M22 or the Makarov Ultra, but strong enough to give you a good feeling! the slide spring is pretty weak, but we cannot have everything, it's surely to avoid any resistance to the blowback action. The mag release button is easy to access and works great. It looks a revamped version of the SA177 with better finish and better performances. One thing I do like a lot on this gun is the barrel, looks realistic, and the inner barrel is verry far hidden into it, so looks so you really have to look straight into the outer barrel to see it, like that. I used Black Diamond bb's for my test, works great. For the price, you can't go wrong with this pistol, looks fantastic!
the slide can be removed with ease with the pin removed in the front of the trigger guard, so if you want to grease up the blowback seal, it's easy to do. I always had better blowback performance in the past while greasing this little green round blowback seal. There is no large white warning marking on the gun, only small gray faded marking under the trigger guard, so both side of the gun looks awesome.

The only thing that I dislike about the gun, and it have nothing related to the gun, is the package, it comes in a transparent plastic clampshell instead of a nice paper box. So you need a box or gun case for storing it.
Well that's it for my review, hopes it help someones who are looking to buy this gun!

Last edited by waltherglocksmith on Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:13 pm 

Nice review - and very nice pics!

http://airgunsource.com/%2A%2Anew%2A%2A ... ck/dp/2532

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beretta_A ... istol/4288

:)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:27 pm 

wllm995 wrote:

thanks!, forgot to tell, the gun is pretty heavy! surely due to the thick slide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:48 pm 

wllm995 wrote:
Nice review - and very nice pics!

Ditto!

:)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:25 pm 

Very nice review/picture/gun. It look like a SA177/9XP...

Question, when I fire my 9XP the slide make's something like a ''klank'' strange noise. Does the APX do.

It as about the same perf. as the 9XP, with a bit of practice you can do the same grouping at 30'... I'm in the process of putting a red dot on it, got everything except the red dot itself.

Still, very nice aquisition... :drinkers:

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:43 am 

silentman wrote:
Very nice review/picture/gun. It look like a SA177/9XP...

Question, when I fire my 9XP the slide make's something like a ''klank'' strange noise. Does the APX do.

It as about the same perf. as the 9XP, with a bit of practice you can do the same grouping at 30'... I'm in the process of putting a red dot on it, got everything except the red dot itself.

Still, very nice aquisition... :drinkers:

thanks for your comments!, i didnt noticed any strange sound, will need to pay attention next time, sure the blowback sound is different than some other blowback gun like the 1911 TFW. yes, its similar to the sa177, but the finish, feel is better, and slide is more thick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:29 pm 

Thanks for this great review. You mentioned that the trigger pull is medium. I generally prefer a light trigger. How does the weight compare to other blow back pistols?

John

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:26 pm 

jfcooper wrote:
Thanks for this great review. You mentioned that the trigger pull is medium. I generally prefer a light trigger. How does the weight compare to other blow back pistols?

John

thanks!

Sure its not a light trigger, but not too hard, if you already shot a Glock 17, its the same kind of "spongie" feel, with longer pull. For the weight here some comparisons. The trigger pull will load a bb in the chamber, slide operation is only for the blowback.

Walther pps blowback: 1.2lbs
Makarov Ultra: 1.4lbs
Beretta APX: 1.47lbs
Tanfoglio Witness 1911: 2.1lbs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:39 pm 
Supporting Members

Great looking gun. Thanks for the pictures and review. What does the mag look like? Similar to the SA177?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:02 pm 

Thanks for the thorough review waltherglocksmith! Yes, I'm also curious to the look of the mag as well since I have the SA-177. My SA-177 also has that "Klank" sound which I despise.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:45 pm 

the mag is shown on the Pyramid site.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:03 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
the mag is shown on the Pyramid site.

Yup!

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:16 pm 

megiddo65 wrote:
Thanks for the thorough review waltherglocksmith! Yes, I'm also curious to the look of the mag as well since I have the SA-177. My SA-177 also has that "Klank" sound which I despise.

it's a similar mag as the SA-177, but with better finished buttplate.
I did a short video, so you can hear the sound and maybe tell me if this ''klank'' you are refering too is in the shooting sound... maybe when you manipulate the slide and release it it's this sound you are speaking, the empty metal sound, but not while shooting. Maybe on the 10 last rounds with barely no more power in the co2, you can hear a kind of ''Klank'' sound.
let me know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKF9HLtNDlE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:09 pm 

They probably all have the same internal SA177/9XP/SA40/APX all made by the same manufacturer, normal they all have the same pro's/con's. Still fun to shoot, very good shot count (100), power full for a BB's and does have quite a good precision for a BB gun. Get spare mag... and happy shooting... 8)

6mm
Not enough and to many.