Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:13 pm 

Upon learning of the Daisy 953 accuracy potential some months ago on this forum and that TSC was clearing them out - how sad I was that I could not locate one, that is, until a member here offered a superb deal on a used one! (Received today :P )

Sited in the cheapo stock Powerline 3-9x32 scope (my 7m range is too close for the scope's factory setting, but it worked out ok) - you can see the first shot lower right - and the upwards trail of pellets to the centre bullseye from the 5 shot clip. Then I shot 5 into the lower centre bullseye. Oh My ! :shock:

7m indoor range, resting my front elbow on my knee, using RWS Hobbies.

This is a grand first impression. Next will see what fps it is shooting at to see if it is where it should be.

Much looking forward to plinking orange plastic golf-balls in the woods...

The trigger: well it has about a 3mm pull and fires... not sure it that is safe :roll:
Looking forward to learning this rifle's potential - and mine :)

Thanks for reading ~

Will

Attachments:
_MG_6602.jpg
_MG_6602.jpg [ 76.48 KiB | Viewed 2204 times ]

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:02 am 

A member here posted a great target game for the 953: topic72269.html

Been waiting for my range to be completed before attempting this, a few of us should give it a try, seems like a great game and one that will show how truly accurate this great little rifle is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:52 am 

Oh cool - well I can try at 7m with my 'too close to perfectly' focus 3-9x32 scope, sitting on my couch but otherwise unrested

Joolz wrote:
A member here posted a great target game for the 953: topic72269.html

Been waiting for my range to be completed before attempting this, a few of us should give it a try, seems like a great game and one that will show how truly accurate this great little rifle is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:13 pm 

As seen the thread by lleader, adjusting the parallax in this scope makes it perfect for 7m, which is what I have mine set to. Perfectly fine scope for a pneumatic, no complaints here. I have one of my 953 setup with this scope, another with a red dot. As much as I like the 953 I find it comes with the worst ever open sights. I find them totally useless where you have to guess where you're aiming at, given the wide spacing. Which is ironic as this is such a precise gun.
So later when I finally have the chance to print out and try this cool target I plan to use both guns and see how well I do with both rifles/optics variation. The red dot is nice for target shooting as it allows for a super tiny dot that doesn't obscure even the smallest of targets.

All the fun I plan on having in the new year. From finally putting them 953 to good use, to the 1077s, to the M4-177 and it's decent open sights, to all the springers that need a lube job/tuning and a few pistols in between. This is my new years resolution, to finally do plenty of shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:11 pm 

Joolz wrote:
As seen the thread by lleader, adjusting the parallax in this scope makes it perfect for 7m, which is what I have mine set to.

The red dot is nice for target shooting as it allows for a super tiny dot that doesn't obscure even the smallest of targets.

Yes will adjust parallax. But what is the downside to adjusting it closer?

And yes, forgot how small a red dot can be made.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:50 pm 
Site Moderator

Plink-Panther wrote:
Joolz wrote:
As seen the thread by lleader, adjusting the parallax in this scope makes it perfect for 7m, which is what I have mine set to.

The red dot is nice for target shooting as it allows for a super tiny dot that doesn't obscure even the smallest of targets.

Yes will adjust parallax. But what is the downside to adjusting it closer?

And yes, forgot how small a red dot can be made.

The downside to adjusting it closer is that you will likely see blurry and parallax at long distances. There is an easy remedy. Adjust the objective to your 7m distance for indoors. If you have opportunity to shoot at longer distances then you can reset the objective to 20 or 25 metres.

I have a non-AO 4X scope on my Daisy 880. It will stay adjusted to 10m for the winter months for my indoor basement shooting. During the summer months I might set it to 20 metres for plinking from 15-30 yards. I should mark the 10 & 20 metre points on the objective bell so I can quickly change. One of the notches on the ring will work for the other reference point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:37 pm 

Tod is correct, there is the likelihood that either the image or the crosshairs will become fuzzy. At this short a distance it's a fine line. But as stated, even at 7m this scope allows for a decent image, although the crosshairs aren't as defined. But that's something you can certainly learn to live with and a bit of experimenting is warranted.

As stated in the thread by lleader, don't tighten the scope back to factory tightness. There's no need for this, this is after all a pneumatic. When shooting at longer distances simply unscrew the cap and turn the lens to your desired distance. Only experimenting will give you the right results, but this is one of the easiest mods one can do. Either that or purchase a costly A/O scope. As for me, I'm more than happy to use this scope for 6.5m to 14m, the longest I can master out of my limited space.

Rest assured, you have a fine rifle there with a scope that is easy to play with. So play away!

One note on red dots: I happen to have several and most don't give you a super tiny dot. The one in the 953 is a nicer one with precise adjustments and the super tiny dot (which goes to red/green, several different types of crosshairs and I think 7 levels of brightness for each). Most red dots tend to be too large for precise target shooting. I posted a DIY here not long ago showing how you can diminish the dot brightness easily using household items. Works like a charm but only for halo style red dots. Personally I dislike scopes. I love decent open sights but this is so not the case with the 953. Therefore short of a diopter sight, the red dot is the best alternative, imo.
Happy shooting!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:34 pm 

Much thanks TCooper & Joolz ~

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:15 am 

Now look what you did. I started reading about the 953 and instantly became interested in owning one only to discover they are not available anymore. Geez thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:59 am 

Oh but they are. Often pop for sale here. Even Princess Auto has them on occasion. I'd put a request in the wanted. Anyone that owns and enjoys the 1077 definitely needs the 953 for companionship. Two of the most fun guns one can own.
Worst case there's always Pyramyd, where I got mine from but back then the dollar at par. Not sure I'd order one now given the dump the Can $ has taken in the past couple of years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:30 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Oh but they are. Often pop for sale here. Even Princess Auto has them on occasion. I'd put a request in the wanted. Anyone that owns and enjoys the 1077 definitely needs the 953 for companionship. Two of the most fun guns one can own.
Worst case there's always Pyramyd, where I got mine from but back then the dollar at par. Not sure I'd order one now given the dump the Can $ has taken in the past couple of years.

Funny that you mention the 1077. I was going to make the smart buttock comment "can I use my 1077 instead?" for the boards 953 shooting challenge. Was just shooting it last night. I'm still impressed how accurate it is even with the horrible double action trigger pull.

I refuse to pay the ups brokerage fees so unless I feel like a drive to the border I'll wait for one to come up on the forum or PA as you mentioned.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:53 am 

Funny you should mention it was funny that I mentioned the 1077 - as it just clicked that it'd be a hoot to take up on the challenge with both the 953 and the 1077. Honestly I don't know that the 953 is more accurate than the 1077. They're both superb. And unlike the 953, the open sights in the 1077 are decent enough that I can live with, as it has a metal blade for the rear, unlike the 953's oversized, unusable fibre optics. So yeah, when I finally get to do the challenge, will be doing it with both guns. Heck, it is my new year's resolution to have fun with guns. As stated earlier, they don't get much more fun than these two.

It looks that even Pyramyd no longer carries the 953. It'd a shame if this rifle is no longer being made. Can't think of any other pneumatic that is so easy to use and accurate for such a bargain. Suppose now that Gamo bought Daisy (isn't this correct?) that they'd be more interested in greater profit margins for higher cost guns huh?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:01 pm 

Wonder if the 953 as the same trigger as the 853?

This might be worth a try
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Da ... gerMod.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:23 am 

Was not able to adjust paralax for my 7m.

The previous owner seems to have also tried.

It was perfect for 7m with about 3mm of thread showing, however... so I put clear tape around it and now "I do" have a 7m scope :lol:

Will try to chrony it today. Seems Hobbies are more accurate than rws Meist 8.2 grain but I have time for experimenting this week 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:43 am 

sillymike wrote:
Wonder if the 953 as the same trigger as the 853?

This might be worth a try
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Da ... gerMod.pdf

Yes, I'm also interested to know that answer... Also got a 953 recently. Would prefer to know before gut it out and mess it up!
Thanks

Daisy 953
Umarex HPP
Walther PPK/S
Smith & Wesson M&P 40
Colt Python .357 (polymer)
Walther CP99
Smith & Wesson TRR8
KWC 226-S5