Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:11 am 

I just bought a new 2240 (from "Edmonton <500"- awesome thanks).
I added a 14" barrel, steel breach, velocity adjuster, shoulder stalk and a muzzle break.
I installed everything and it's all great(other then I need a rear sight... I adapted the stock rear sight to fit the steel breach and it works good for now.)

So excuse my ignorance- I haven't had a chance to chrony my set up yet, but
I find with the VA (using the hammer spring that came with it) fully turned in/maxed out- there is a huge amount of co2 blowing out of the barrel, after the pellet has left the barrel. &
When the VA is backed off(to the point that it doesn't seem to do anything) there is still a lot of Co2 blowing out of the barrel after the pellet had left the barrel...
(the shot count is maybe 10 more with the VA backed off)

My question is:
is it normal to have a lot of Co2 blow out of the barrel when the VA is backed off?
(I was under the impression that the VA would let me adjust between a "powerful shot w/ some Co2 waste" and "a lower velocity shot without(or at least much less) Co2 waste".
The VA came with a 2" hammer spring, would it make a difference if I cut the spring down to 1.75", to try to get to a middle ground between power w/ co2 waste and lower velocity w/ less Co2 waste ?

If anyone has advice on using a VA with a 2" hammer spring vs a 1.75" hammer spring that would be great!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:12 am 

Clipping off a bit of spring at a time can be a useful approach. But without a chrony you'll have a hard time guessing at when the point has been passed where velocity is just right. Perhaps shooting at a target some 30 yards away would help, the point of impact finally dropping when velocity dips a bit low?

Grinding away some hammer weight is another useful approach. Tends to dump less gas. And adding 1 or maybe 2 O-rings inside the tube to limit hammer movement forward can also be a help - that's known as the bstaley mod. They need to be a snug fit so they don't flop around.