Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Umarex Surge 490
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:37 pm 

Seriously! either this gun is way underated, or I got lucky really lucky. Using JSB RS pellets, I can get sub half inch groups at 25 yards. My best at 25 yards is .470ctc with 4 of those shots .210 ctc. using RWS R10 Match Rifle, I did a best of .180 CTC at 10 yards. Today I was able to stretch things out a bit more. 40.3 yards muzzle to target. I was not really looking to group, it was just to see if I could hit the 12" target. I took three shots, heard them all made contact, but could not see where they were landing. At best I was thinking a 4" group, Turns out, those three hits made a 1.250" group, two of those shots landed .240ctc apart.
All I ever did to this gun was clean it and put a Walther 4x32 scope on it.

Got a Browning Leverage on the way, hope it too will be a gem of a bargain rifle.

Post subject: Re: Umarex Surge 490
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:01 pm 

Welcome to the Happy Surge owners Club! I too have one, with which I get comparable results, and a few other members here on the CAF also had a good experience with that rifle. Being a clone of the venerable Diana 34 also makes it easy to tune and get better parts if need be. The T05 clone trigger is a very good one, as is or lightly tuned.

Have fun and happy new year :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:11 am 
Supporting Member

Two and a half years ago my very first gun was a Surge 490. I now have a Surge 1200 to go with it.
They're both more accurate than they have any right to be based on what they cost to buy.
x2 on the triggers.

Enjoy.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:54 pm 

Petes, since u own both what are your thoughts on this 490 and the same fps Air Hawk? Other than the bulky stock of the AH are there any noticeable differences? Btw great work on streamlining yours. You must be a very patient man.
Aren't both of these close clones of the Diana 34, down to the trigger? Just wondering which has the upper hand, the Surge often can be found for a decent deal but wouldn't bother if it's the exact same as the AH. Same question for the Crosman (forgot what it's called)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:04 pm 

Joolz, I also have the Ruger Blackhawk, which is an Airhawk with a synthetic stock. I can attest that the Surge and Blackhawk are the same exact rifle, parts for parts. The only differences being the Blackhawk has open sights, the Surge don't, and obviously the stock. The open sights of the Ruger rifles can be installed on the Surge by swapping muzzle brakes, and the screw holes in the breech block are already there, just plugged with plastic plugs.However they are fiber optic sights...

I think you can get the parts from this gent: http://randrairgunrepair.com/home.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:58 pm 
Supporting Member

Yes, Airmec is exactly right.

They each weigh about 7.2 lbs without a scope, but they feel quite different off hand, I'm sure partly because the AH has a much wider stock with a flatter bottom. But I can't really compare shooting them at the moment, because my AH is PAL, and my Surge 490 isn't of course.

The Surge 1200 has a scope and the AH not, but when the weather tidies up a little, I'll try to get shooting outdoors again, and actually compare the two PAL guns.

Or for indoors, I could re-install the AH low power spring. Hmmm. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:44 pm 
Supporting Member

I put back the low power spring in the Air Hawk and spent about 20 minutes firing the Surge 490, then the AH etc.

They feel different to hold, but when I pull the trigger they react/recoil the same.

The Surge was my only gun for a long time and it has over 20,000 rounds through it, and it still shoots beautifully. :D

I really like both guns. They look different, feel different to hold, but shoot pretty much the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:33 am 

Good to know, hadn't realized it was the same gun with diff stock and other cosmetic changes. So basically these roll out of the same factory huh? I'm still to break in the AH, haven't fired enough pellets through it yet. It's a case of too many projects, too many guns to sit down to appreciate and a complete and chronic lack of free time.
My only complaint about the Air Hawk is the stock. Although I don't have a problem with the bulk of it, it is heavy. I don't have a thing for wood, would have preferred the syn stock as I think it looks better. And if it's lighter then that's a bonus. But some say that the wood stock absorbs vibration better or something in these lines. Btw it's amazing how Cabelas sell the same gun for exactly double what it can be had from Walmart. Definitely a case of shopping around for the best deal.

Seeing how easy/cheap it is to upgrade the spring in it, this is a project I definitely want to pursue as time allows. So far all I've done is clean the barrel but see where a tune up and some moly lube would improve it greatly. A gun this long and heavy shouldn't be restricted to under 500fps for basement shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:36 am 

PeterG wrote:
I put back the low power spring in the Air Hawk and spent about 20 minutes firing the Surge 490, then the AH etc.

Seriously? I thought you were joking when you said you'd do that. Guess replacing the spring on these isn't that hard. I'm still to gut a springer. Thankfully have all the tools. Just a matter of getting down to it and hope not to lose an eye (in the event the scissor jack gives out on me during spring compression).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:00 pm 
Supporting Member

On 8 April 16 I posted "Photographs for home-made spring compressor" I don't know how to make a link to that.

The compressor makes disassembling/assembling any PAL springer/np very easy and "completely" safe. It just hangs on the garage wall when not in use. I got the idea from a Norica web site.

The 490 is pretty simple to disassemble. Take the action out of the stock, remove the rear cap, leaving the safety lever in place. While holding the rear of the trigger block in the action with your fingers, push out the two pins, and gently release the trigger block. Then everything pulls out. Leave the safety lever in, as it's awkward to re-insert it once removed.

If you want to put a more powerful spring in, you need the compressor and it makes life very easy. To avoid pulling out the safety lever, just put a small wooden block between the compressor surface and the trigger block.

The Surges are so durable that I don't remember the last time I had one of them apart.

They really are great guns.

When I first joined the forum, I was "congratulated" on my choice of a Surge 490 as my first gun. So I'll pass it on.

Congratulations Solo. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:29 pm 

Photographs for home-made spring compressor link:

topic72038.html?