Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:39 am 
Supporting Member

I was at the flea market and found this old fire alarm bell. So. . . wheels started turning in my little brain. My wife might be ticked when she goes to find her edger next spring . . . but she has her priorities all backwards. Took me about 20 minutes to rig up this bell target and it works like a charm. Very clear and sustained ding when you get a pellet through the 3/8 hole. The hardest part was drilling through that hardened steel - boy is that stuff tough.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:54 am 

Nice job Rae. Now every time you hear a bell you'll be scrambling for another pellet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:02 pm 

Nice find. Great idea for a target.
I will have to keep an eye out for one of those.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:21 pm 

Lol, it does look tough to drill thru
Great idea tho!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:40 am 

great idea. good use of the lawn edger. I;ve been trying to think of ways to make a bell target. using those little desk bells. you can buy them from staples for 3 or 4 bucks. but I haven't got around to it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:01 am 

pete wrote:
great idea. good use of the lawn edger. I;ve been trying to think of ways to make a bell target. using those little desk bells. you can buy them from staples for 3 or 4 bucks. but I haven't got around to it yet.

I made one a while back with those bells. Made it out of wood but will be making a stronger one out of metal.
Here is a picture from the back. It's just a wood lever with a spring underneath. The spring keeps it upright just above the bell.

Attachments:
20150912_090647%20(2).JPG
20150912_090647%20(2).JPG [ 633.62 KiB | Viewed 2017 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:25 am 

I love this setup. I'm going to make my own.

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:08 pm 

Nice work and imagination to create such a fun target. The 3/8" hole doesn't leave too much room for error, so the satisfaction of hearing the "DING" is so overwhelming.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:38 pm 

Aged wrote:
Nice job Rae. Now every time you hear a bell you'll be scrambling for another pellet.

Oh, I get that, Mr. Skinner. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:47 pm 
Supporting Member

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Aged wrote:

Oh, I get that, Mr. Skinner. :lol:

Or I may start to drool - at least according to Dr. Pavlov :tonqe: :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:41 pm 

That is very creative. Maybe you should consider selling them if you ever find a random pile of bells. haha I'd line up for one!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:56 pm 

Raezor,....I hate to say this, but those bells make excellent burglar alarms for a shop/garage .....All you do is plug them into one side of a motion sensor light (if they're 110V) and set it up INSIDE your shop .... It'll scare the hell out of any intruder and it'll reset itself .... I'm always looking for those old school/alarm bells at thrift stores .....Usually runs about $25.00 with the motion sensor and plug adapter to set it up ......They work great ......Your idea is also a good one, just letting you know how useful those bells are .......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:09 pm 

A similar but slightly different idea is to re-cycle old square (manure?) shovels into a "gong". I picked a couple of them used without handles very cheap. One became a deflection shield at the rear of
a pellet trap to send the pellets downward to floor of the trap.

The other is in process of becoming a gong by suspending it behind a target... plywood with holes cut in it. There will be three 1" holes cut in the plywood to try to shoot through. I am thinking
of it for 10m off-hand or 25m rested shooting.

I have been using an old cast frying pan as a "bell" or gong for a couple of years.

I think I am into these items about 50 cents or less! Who wants an old, rusty manure shovel without a handle anyway? Me!!!