Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Son's Cougar Today
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:31 pm 

Well said Joolz! However I think Harold owes us an apology! We all have an opinion but his condescending, name calling is ignorant.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:45 pm 

Defenseless animal, thats funny. Have you seen it's teeth and claws up close? Better yet, have you seen them take down prey on nature shows?

You guys who whine about this type of thing, I don't see you whining about the killing of innocent mice or gophers or pigeons or other nuisance pests.

It's majestic alright, till you find one on your back, sinking it's teeth into your head and neck while it's claws rip deeply into the soft sensitive flesh of your body. If your lucky it will kill you before it eats you alive, or your dog. :roll:

Last edited by peterdulux on Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:47 pm 

Quote:
Man, if you call a 25 year old a cougar, you must be really young.

:shock: :lol: :roll:

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:34 pm 

rsterne wrote:
Quote:

:shock: :lol: :roll:

Bob

Okay maybe cougar in training. Buying a house and getting no sleep might be doing something.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:02 pm 

Joolz wrote:
There is a word that is synonymous with hunting, and that word is conservation.
Hunting is a tool used to preserve the species, it is not a sport to allow gun-toting bipeds to kill indiscriminately. This is not something I wasn't aware of till I took the hunting course recently. You'll be amazed by how much you'll learn about the importance of hunting in any given area.

And this coming from someone that is yet to harm a fly. Or that wouldn't dream of taking the life of such a majestic creature. But guess what: since humanity infringed upon the home of native animals, their ecosystem has changed (for the worst, if you're a quadruped). It is our responsibility to minimize the harm - and wildlife management is in everyone's interest.

Wildlife management is an incredibly important science that takes many accounts into consideration. Poor management in the past (or lack of) has resulted in the suffering of many animals (deer population in some cases fared far worse off without this balance). As a child watching Bambi I grew up with this pessimistic view of what a hunter was: an evil person that killed Bambi's mother for no reason other than self gratification. Now I understand that hunters are far from the evil folk Disney portrait them as being. Hunters are required in order to maintain this delicate balance.

Yes, I was sad to see such a majestic cat being shot and it immediately prompted me to ask who is this Pioneer? Is he hunting for pure sport? Did he even have a license? Well, after reading more on this thread I realized that he is offering us all a service. Wildlife management would not have given him a license if cats in his WMU weren't too high in numbers. They take into account the number of deer and other prey in the area that could be too few to sustain the existing cougar population. And many other aspects that are in place to ensure the population thrives. What one may not realize is that overpopulation of any species for a specific area is the greatest threat they face.

Conservation is a necessity, whether we agree with it or not. Personally I think that a big horn sheep is as majestic as a mountain lion. As is a full sized elk. And a moose. And any of the species of bears. Very diligent people are keeping a close eye on their population and making the best call to ensure their success. Alberta very much respects our wildlife and invest greatly in ensuring their success. I have a great deal of admiration for those that work in wildlife management and how serious they take their jobs.

With all that said, I think that Pioneer could have chosen his words better when referring to those that have expressed their opposing opinions. But this is the divide that hunters face, many are not aware of the importance the role conservation plays.

leadslinger wrote:
Did you really think this was a post about a over 25 year old female?

Well put Joolz, However wildlife management is totally unnecessary and ineffective at managing population explosion. The more MAN,,,thins a population of animals, the animals produce more larger litters. As the explosion of coyotes in NL and elsewhere have proven. Nature will manage itself. Wildlife management is just the same as replanting trees to keep the stock renewable, so hunters can enjoy hunting and jobs and revenue can be reaped and maintained. Hunting is big business. Just my uninformed opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:44 pm 

Lets just bring in badgers... that will control them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:59 am 

peterdulux wrote:
Defenseless animal, thats funny. Have you seen it's teeth and claws up close? Better yet, have you seen them take down prey on nature shows?

You guys who whine about this type of thing, I don't see you whining about the killing of innocent mice or gophers or pigeons or other nuisance pests.

It's majestic alright, till you find one on your back, sinking it's teeth into your head and neck while it's claws rip deeply into the soft sensitive flesh of your body. If your lucky it will kill you before it eats you alive, or your dog. :roll:

Well if I find one on my back, chances are I deserved it for being stupid for thinking that I can just stroll through the woods because man owns it, and with 4 GSD's that cougar wouldn't stand a chance...they're no lap doggies

Walther Falcon .25
Benji XL 1100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:34 am 

Guy didn't break any laws. Maybe you all should go find someone posting a picture of a "mock" silencer and pester them for a while. :roll:

Al

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:35 am 

joe hickey wrote:
Well put Joolz, However wildlife management is totally unnecessary and ineffective at managing population explosion. The more MAN,,,thins a population of animals, the animals produce more larger litters.

Where this may be true for some species, it isn't the case with all. Take Grizzly bears for instance. You won't see their numbers exploding following a culling. It's taken decades for AB's population to finally reach a healthy number and that's due to much effort to protect them. In spite of all the numbers taken down regularly by trains and vehicles on highways, along with the odd ones that are deemed to be "trouble bears" and put down. Same with the bison. Cougars on the other hand seem to be more resilient, as seen by the numbers around here. I think if left unchecked their numbers will go grown to the point where they'll become a real nuisance, to both farmers and people. And themselves, should their food supply dwindle. All it takes is a nasty winter like the one we're having now to offset things. As someone that's on the outdoors camping/hiking/enjoying nature with the kids as much as possible I find it unsettling to know that at any moment one of these could jump out of the woods and drag one of my kids away - without us even realizing it. Heck, I'm afraid this could happen in my backyard! We're only blocks from the Bow river and this corridor is like magnet for wildlife. Every year a number of black bears have to be tracked down and relocated from the city. It's a matter of time till cougars realize they can do the same. Look at Victoria and how cougars are doing just this. These animals are gorgeous when viewed from a distance or on a computer screen but knowing they WANT to eat your children makes you less willing to see an explosion of these.

And this is the reason why I'm grateful for Pioneer's son doing this control. It's not like their numbers are so scarce that taking one down would bring them closer to extinction. It's not like he's out there poaching (if he did he would't have posted his pic out for the entire world to see). Sure it saddens you to see a gorgeous animal being put down but hey, we (humans) decided to live among them, so it's now a matter of reaching a balance - unfortunately for the animals, we can use guns. But it's still an almost fair fight - these things can rip a child or small person apart with one swipe of their paws or sink their canines into one's artery and take a life away just as quick as a shot from a 30-30 would do to them.

Last edited by Joolz on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:40 am 

Gippeto wrote:
Guy didn't break any laws. Maybe you all should go find someone posting a picture of a "mock" silencer and pester them for a while. :roll:

Al

Yeah.

I got perma scars from a 20lb house cat. Cats are not one to mess with.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:28 am 

joe hickey wrote:
I think its shameful.

Absolutely. A disgrace.

DaveD

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:28 am 

Not sure why it's a disgrace, as pointed out it was legally hunted, it was suffering from porcupine quills, and it is a predator as well. Why is killing an animal that spends all its time killing other animals any worse than shooting a moose or killing a grouse, that isn't a danger to anyone (except the Moose maybe in the rut, lol)?
If they were an endangered species and it was healthy that would be a shame, but not when it's culling out an overpopulated species. Sure is a beautiful looking animal! I don't think I would ever want to get that close to one alive! [WHITE SMILING FACE]️

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:51 am 

They didn't kill it because of the porcupine quills. It may kill other animals but only to survive. We shoot moose, grouse and other game for food. The only reason they took it's life was for the FUN of it - that's the rub. To kill for the PLEASURE of killing is wrong in my opinion even if it's a sparrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:42 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Not sure why it's a disgrace, as pointed out it was legally hunted, it was suffering from porcupine quills, and it is a predator as well. Why is killing an animal that spends all its time killing other animals any worse than shooting a moose or killing a grouse, that isn't a danger to anyone (except the Moose maybe in the rut, lol)?
If they were an endangered species and it was healthy that would be a shame, but not when it's culling out an overpopulated species. Sure is a beautiful looking animal! I don't think I would ever want to get that close to one alive! [WHITE SMILING FACE]️

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Because generally, people don't eat Cougar.

I have zero problem with people killing animals to feed themselves and their families. None whatsoever!

That is why it's a Disgrace. Do you get it now?

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:55 pm 

So if they had a reason, it would be OK?.... A rancher protecting his cattle (so that you could enjoy a burger or steak).... of a farmer his chickens (pass the eggs, please).... that would obviously be fine.... So someone acting on behalf of that food producer would obviously be OK as well, right?.... I see no difference between this and a Varmint hunter operating on the "Permission" of a landowner to wipe out as many P-dogs, Ground Squirrels, or 'Chucks as you can.... They're cute too, one at a time....

If Alberta determine there is enough of an oversupply of Cougars to allow hunting them, then let them be hunted, IMO.... Same goes for Wolves, if their population numbers are too high in a given area.... What does Cougar taste like, BTW?.... :lol:

Bob

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next