Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:37 pm 

LoL, yuk, yuk, you folks are funny today :) Let me rephrase....I PERSONALLY, IN MY OPINION, and MY PREFERENCE, is not to have stubby little scopes on full size rifles or a spotting scope sitting on top of a compact rifle because I think it looks LUDICROUS, well, in my humble opinion of course :)

Naturally I fully support your right to mount a Hawke 10x24x50 Sidewinder on your Makarov pistol should you so desire.

OK, so to make this post useful, here is a Bug Buster on top and a Simmons on bottom. Simmons is on a full size Ruger Airhawk.

The Simmons is pretty darn clear at 7 yards or so. Not perfect but more than good enough in my opinion. Mine goes slightly past the 10, I just turned it so you could clearly see the 10 yards marking.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:19 pm 

I'm grateful you tried the Simmons at 7 yards - thanks!

However given the size of the 953, now I am leaning towards the Bug Buster... and it starts at 3 yards :lol:

is this the one you were referring to for $125 at amazon? says top rated...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005UG ... EEQB&psc=1

Think I found my girl 8) should be just dandy up to 30 yards or so, understanding the 953 is not a long-distance swimmer :wink: :lol:

ITGUY wrote:
OK, so to make this post useful, here is a Bug Buster on top and a Simmons on bottom. Simmons is on a full size Ruger Airhawk.

The Simmons is pretty darn clear at 7 yards or so. Not perfect but more than good enough in my opinion....

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:41 pm 

oh wait, is this bug buster going to need any special mounts for the 953 or am I good-to-go?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:54 pm 

Plink-Panther wrote:
oh wait, is this bug buster going to need any special mounts for the 953 or am I good-to-go?

953 probably has dovetail mount, so yes. You will need a dovetail to picatinny adaptor. Similar to this. You can get them all over the place. The more screws the better, but with the 953 being so mild, I wouldnt worry too much about it.

EDIT: Argghhh..sorry for pic size

https://www.amazon.ca/Dophee-Dovetail-Picatinny-Extension-Adapter/dp/B0192NM94K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485035572&sr=8-2&keywords=dovetail+to+picatinny+adapter

They also sell extended ones for more adjustment

Last edited by ITGUY on Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:58 pm 

Plink-Panther wrote:

From the looks of it those are mounts for picatinny/weaver rails (22mm?) and the 953 has the narrower rail (11mm?). I think the tube size of 1" is the same as the scope that came with the 953 so you could use those.

Another consideration is the very limited adjustability (none?) in a forword/backward direction of the mounts on the scope. You probably have your current scope on the 953 with one mount on each side of the loading slot. It looks to me like with the BugBuster you would have to put both mounts on one side or the other of the loading slot which seems to me would limit the ability to get the scope into position for correct eye relief.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:03 pm 

Oh I forgot...that is the "old" Bug Buster and there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT....they came out with a newer model that has a button to illuminate and change reticle colour and they made the reticle lines thinner.

Frankly, I couldn't care less. More sheet to go wrong.

If you need justification, I really and honestly do not believe reticle thickness is going to come in to play at less than 25 yards, I mean, really now...are we that good that we can start blaming reticle thickness for our less than 1 hole groups? :) :) :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:08 pm 

lleader wrote:
Plink-Panther wrote:

From the looks of it those are mounts for picatinny/weaver rails (22mm?) and the 953 has the narrower rail (11mm?). I think the tube size of 1" is the same as the scope that came with the 953 so you could use those.

Another consideration is the very limited adjustability (none?) in a forword/backward direction of the mounts on the scope. You probably have your current scope on the 953 with one mount on each side of the loading slot. It looks to me like with the BugBuster you would have to put both mounts on one side or the other of the loading slot which seems to me would limit the ability to get the scope into position for correct eye relief.

Hey Mr. Panther, dont you hate these guys that bring up valid points like this? :)

Thank you lleader for something i never even thought of.

Pink, I have a solution...buy it and if she no workee and you dont want it, I'll take it off your hands for what you paid plus shipping and a Tim's gift card for your trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:08 pm 

ITGUY wrote:
... really now...are we that good that we can start blaming reticle thickness for our less than 1 hole groups? :) :) :)

I dunno, I need every excuse I can find. Already overused my age and my eyesight...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:15 pm 

lleader wrote:
ITGUY wrote:
... really now...are we that good that we can start blaming reticle thickness for our less than 1 hole groups? :) :) :)

I dunno, I need every excuse I can find. Already overused my age and my eyesight...

Tip: We shrink a little as we get older and MAN that has thrown off my aim something fierce!!

However NOBODY but NOBODY can top me now!!!!!!!!, all i have to do is take my shoe off (whenever I can put a shoe on that is) and show em my last two toes gone along with a 2"x3" chunk of foot!!! Its gonna be great.

See? Theres a bright side to everything, HooYA :) :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:17 pm 

lleader wrote:
Another consideration is the very limited adjustability (none?) in a forword/backward direction of the mounts on the scope. .... which seems to me would limit the ability to get the scope into position for correct eye relief.

Excellent observation!

Rats... ok.... um... oh ITGUY? Before you seize my Bug Buster from my hands :wink: If time permits, would you please measure the distance end-to end of the mounts so I can get a better guess if I can fit the scope all on my 953's back rail, or even over my loading slot? I think you said you have the BB that I pointed to at amazon... :lol: :oops: :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:23 pm 

Oh! the website shows that it is 85mm, so I will measure things up...

Edit: ok seems to me I am good-to-go for clearance, not sure about the eye relief thought, which is: 4.2" - 3.2"

Hmm...

Plink-Panther wrote:
.... If time permits, would you please measure the distance end-to end of the mounts so I can get a better guess if I can fit the scope all on my 953's back rail, or even over my loading slot? I think you said you have the BB that I pointed to at amazon... :lol: :oops: :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:13 pm 

Here are some shots of the 953 with the bug buster on it. For me the eye relief is good. However as ITGUY has mentioned looks a bit funny with the small scope. Hmmm I kinda want to go shoot now.

I use these to go from the weaver to dovertail rail using the stock scope mounts. I have seen pictures and videos of people using a one piece mount so it seems clearance for pellet feeding is not a issue.

Sorry I don't know where the sunshade is. I'm moving next month and everything is packed away.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:22 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Here are some shots of the 953 with the bug buster on it. For me the eye relief is good. However as ITGUY has mentioned looks a bit funny with the small scope.

I actually LIKE the look of that scope on the 953. The 953 is not a big gun and that scope fits it IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:29 pm 

A question for all you Bugbuster gurus... Can you use the scope without turning it on? Without the battery?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:34 pm 

Yes you can - I read this question amazon reviews and about 3 to 6 users replied that they actually prefer it with the dark reticle instead of the battery operated lights

lleader wrote:
A question for all you Bugbuster gurus... Can you use the scope without turning it on? Without the battery?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next