Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:38 pm 

Plink-Panther wrote:
Yes you can - I read this question amazon reviews and about 3 to 6 users replied that they actually prefer it with the dark reticle instead of the battery operated lights.

That's good to know. I've never met a red-dot sight that I haven't managed to leave turned on and deplete the battery... repeatedly. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:55 pm 

lleader wrote:
I actually LIKE the look of that scope on the 953. The 953 is not a big gun and that scope fits it IMHO.

that's pretty much like the one PP has on his now....he should snap a pic and show you guys....heck i forgot here is is... lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:12 pm 

Ace wrote:
that's pretty much like the one PP has on his now....he should snap a pic and show you guys....heck i forgot here is is... lol

Ah this is the 953 that PP has picked up. Great build thread. Love the diy stippling. I can understand why he's willing to let the other go. I'd keep both but like many I have the fever.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:19 pm 

[/quote] like many I have the fever.[/quote]

Oh God tell me about it...I ordered a damn kids BB gun while just chatting on the board here...need help...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:47 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Ace wrote:

Ah this is the 953 that PP has picked up. Great build thread. Love the diy stippling. I can understand why he's willing to let the other go. I'd keep both but like many I have the fever.

the only thing different is the butt extension on it now is better then the one in that pic... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:22 pm 

Thank-you for posting this - I didn't see it previously.

I think it looks cool, even kickass... but I have an extra 1.5" of extended stock and might make it longer yet so I have concerns with the Bug Buster eye relief still, as I don't want to have to crink my neck forward.

Decisions decisions.... luckily I am in no hurry as the scope I got with my 953 is quite suitable for indoor 7m.

Other owners can chime in hopefully with suggestions, even looking for more praise of the Bug Buster to put me over the edge... :wink:

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Here are some shots of the 953 with the bug buster on it. For me the eye relief is good. However as ITGUY has mentioned looks a bit funny with the small scope. Hmmm I kinda want to go shoot now.

I use these to go from the weaver to dovertail rail using the stock scope mounts. I have seen pictures and videos of people using a one piece mount so it seems clearance for pellet feeding is not a issue.

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 pm 

For what it's worth, here's my 953 looks like fitted with an NcSTAR 2-7x32 scope.

I had to install it as far forward as possible as I need to be at least 6in from the eye piece to get a full view. Any closer than this and only the center of the scope image is clear, the perimeter is blurry. Don't know if this is normal or not.

Not to obvious at first but you can also notice my solution for a butt plate extension. It's basically a 1in wood block sanded to shape and then cut in half on a band saw. I reused the original screws plus two drywall screws. Nothing fancy but solid and easy.

Attachment:
IMG_2112 (Large).JPG
IMG_2112 (Large).JPG [ 157.92 KiB | Viewed 572 times ]

Daisy 953
Umarex HPP
Walther PPK/S
Smith & Wesson M&P 40
Colt Python .357 (polymer)
Walther CP99
Smith & Wesson TRR8
KWC 226-S5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:15 pm 

Spoke to a workmate today who is a past army cadet now Reservist and he suggested I go to my local Cadet base and see about either getting a few official Daisy 853 butt-extensions or how to order them.

Well as luck would have it I saw and approached a cadet on my way to picking up my chinese food and asked him yadda yadda yadda and he walked me to the CO.

The nice officer let me walk out with 3 extensions 8) to which I was very grateful. Two fit very well, but I will buy longer screws to see how 3 of them fit.

Each plastic extension is 5/8" thick so I will see which is more comfortable, 2 or 3 of them. The two are already a 1/3" longer than what I previously had as an extension.

Will post an image once I get the longer screws.

Also likely getting the Simmons mentioned in earlier posts above.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:44 pm 

ITGUY - just mounted my own new Simmons .22 Mag AO 3-9x32 and am Very Delighted with it - and the fact I can adjust it beautifully to my 8 meter indoor range... 8)

Thanks for the suggestion :P

First used the rings from either the one I got from ACE's scope or the 953's Powerline scope (3-9x32), (perhaps both are the same) - but then I put on the lower profile rings that came with the Simmons scope and I like these lower profile ones. You said you do not like those Simmons rings - can you point out other 11mm dovetail on amazon that are the same height or even a few mm lower?

Cheers ~

ITGUY wrote:
The Simmons .22 MAG AO line might be what you are looking for. NOTE: ONLY the adjustable objective models are airgun rated.

I have 2 of these in 3x9 and for a budget scope am VERY happy with them. The included rings are junk mind you.

Simmons .22 Mag Rimfire Riflescopes
• TrueZero adjustment system for aiming accuracy
• Quick Target Acquisition for fast focus
• Same 1" tubes as big-bore scopes
• Expanded eyebox
• Fully coated opticshttp://www.cabelas.ca/product/24337/simmons-22-mag-rimfire-riflescopes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:41 pm 

Plink-Panther wrote:
ITGUY - just mounted my own new Simmons .22 Mag AO 3-9x32 and am Very Delighted with it - and the fact I can adjust it beautifully to my 8 meter indoor range... 8)

Thanks for the suggestion :P

First used the rings from either the one I got from ACE's scope or the 953's Powerline scope (3-9x32), (perhaps both are the same) - but then I put on the lower profile rings that came with the Simmons scope and I like these lower profile ones. You said you do not like those Simmons rings - can you point out other 11mm dovetail on amazon that are the same height or even a few mm lower?

Cheers ~

ITGUY wrote:
The Simmons .22 MAG AO line might be what you are looking for. NOTE: ONLY the adjustable objective models are airgun rated.

I have 2 of these in 3x9 and for a budget scope am VERY happy with them. The included rings are junk mind you.

Simmons .22 Mag Rimfire Riflescopes
• TrueZero adjustment system for aiming accuracy
• Quick Target Acquisition for fast focus
• Same 1" tubes as big-bore scopes
• Expanded eyebox
• Fully coated opticshttp://www.cabelas.ca/product/24337/simmons-22-mag-rimfire-riflescopes

Very upset with you Plink, I was looking forward to buying it from you :) :)

Yeah it doesn't do 3 or 5 like the Bug, but I can see VERY well at 8 with the ones I have. I counted today and I have 4 now, one of them the bling-bling silver.

Rings?? OOOOOOHHHH...glad you asked.. UTG all the way baby!!

Go to Amazon and search UTG rings. Ignore everything until you find either the one piece base stuff that i like as well as the 4 screw models page 3 or 4. You will see low, med, and high dovetail rings.

The UTG 4 screw models are built like tanks and make the included rings look puny. I even have some 6 screw models LoL.

Now I know they are low priced made in China stuff and I dont buy them for my Weihrauch's for example (made in England stuff thats over a hundred bucks for them) but for everything else they work fine.

On a lot of my rifles, to get the scope to my preferred height I install a low dovetail to picatinny adapter, then use the UTG low profile picatinny mounts. I do this to A: raise the scope, B: Get 4 screws on the dovetail (not going anywhere, ever) then the picatinny rings which due to their design are also never moving.

P.S. I'm glad you like the scope, I think they are a solid buy for a hundred bucks, they look good, and I can see very well with them and I haven't had one break on me yet. I'm sure one will eventually, but if you buy enough you're bound to get a lemon sooner or later. Just law of averages.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:18 am 

Thanks Peter,
Why do you and others prefer high mounts?
It seems to me, not through any personal experience mind you, that lower mounts/rings would make for better accuracy at varying distances.

Also, did not have luck finding UTG low profile 11mm dovetail rings... hmmm...

But maybe the included ones will work fine since the 953 has little or no recoil.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:35 am 

Plink-Panther wrote:
Thanks Peter,
Why do you and others prefer high mounts?
It seems to me, not through any personal experience mind you, that lower mounts/rings would make for better accuracy at varying distances.

Also, did not have luck finding UTG low profile 11mm dovetail rings... hmmm...

But maybe the included ones will work fine since the 953 has little or no recoil.

Damn, youre right...maybe I ordered direct from China. OK go to D&L and look under Hawke...they have some low dovetails.

Medium high mounts work better for "my" melon :) and the way "I" shoot. I have a "long" face, rather than oval or chubby round and crawling down on the rifle to see the scope is not natural to me. I guess I have a lower cheek weld than other people due to where my eyes are in my facial structure.

That goes double for any of my rifles with a cheekpiece and \ or high comb.

For most, the "correct" mounting of "lower is better" is what they should be using.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:46 am 

[quote="ITGUY]Damn, youre right...maybe I ordered direct from China. OK go to D&L and look under Hawke...they have some low dovetails.

Medium high mounts work better for "my" melon :) and the way "I" shoot. I have a "long" face, rather than oval or chubby round and crawling down on the rifle to see the scope is not natural to me. I guess I have a lower cheek weld than other people due to where my eyes are in my facial structure.

For most, the "correct" mounting of "lower is better" is what they should be using.[/quote]

Ah-so.... higher will be more comfortable, silly me ~

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:31 pm 

Plink-Panther wrote:
[quote="ITGUY]Damn, youre right...maybe I ordered direct from China. OK go to D&L and look under Hawke...they have some low dovetails.

For most, the "correct" mounting of "lower is better" is what they should be using.[/quote]

Ah-so.... higher will be more comfortable, silly me ~[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Yes and I'm sure it does NOT contribute to accuracy, but for "me" it works well and I've grown used to it over the years. I can hold my own and trying to change things at this stage of the game would be beyond stupid.

I put 4 in the same hole recently with my IZHMP-61 with a 5th touching at 8 yards. 4 pellets in the clay stacked on top of one another. No pics so of course it didnt happen...except my son saw it :)

I should have bought 3 or 4 of those things and if Baikal ever puts them up again, I will. Tom Gaylord over at Pyramid wrote that he knew of a person who had a thousand dollar 10 meter target stock mede for it (150 buck rifle) because it was so freakishly accurate. like mine. I dont think you can get a better indoor gun. Super quiet and accurate, 5 pellet clip. If one ever comes up in mint condition, or you can find one new, I heartily recommend you pick it up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:08 am 

Now where can I get an alternative Muzzle Brake / compensator for my 953? :P 8)

hard to find and a .177 caliber search brings mixed results

Plastic is fine, it is just to protect my crown and remove the redundant fiber-optic site

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next