Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:43 pm 

I will add to this as i can, but I'd like to at least start it now. EDIT: Daisy on top, Marlin below in pic.

ORIGINAL IMPRESSIONS

DAISY-$200.00 give or take.
Comes in a plain box with lots of accessories like front sight inserts, a sling, rear peep sight that you must install, manual, instructions, allen key, test target, etc.
Single shot lever action, no hopper, muzzle loader. Cocking effort insignificant. Manual says up to 280fps.
Very nice BB gun. Hardwood stock and forearm, finish leans a little toward that Beeman baby poop brown, but not too much. No buttpad, not drilled for sling swivel
No imperfections.
Stamped steel everything else, trigger and lever are plastic, rear peep mostly plastic, front hood and globe inserts are metal. Metal mystery finish on barrel shroud
has slight greenish tint in certain light, but the stamped stuff, like receiver is fairly black.
Rear sight adjustable for Elevation and windage, front sight interchangeable inserts.
Barrel easily unscrews for cleaning or clearing a jam.
This gun would fit up to a medium size teenager I think. A bit too small for a full size adult, but easily shot with no problems.

DAISY CONS
The rear peep sight. One drop from your youngster and that sucker is in pieces. I guarantee it. The mounting is solid enough, two allen bolts on a metal flange on the barrel
but it is fragile.
No buttpad or plate. Looks unfinished and for 200 bucks there is no excuse.
The front sight mechanism. Spring loaded. You push it in (with something) to release the pressure on the insert then move the insert back and up. I broke the insert in 10 seconds
as initially I was pushing on it, not the spring loaded flange. You have to hold the rifle secure, push in the spring, remove sight. 3 handed operation unless rifle is clamped which I
did the next time.

MARLIN \ CROSMAN-$65.00 give or take
Comes in a very colorful box with all kinds of pictures and specs on it. Box includes manual, thats it,
Single shot lever action. 700 round hopper loaded from port near end of barrel. Cocking is a ratchet affair to avoid the lever ever snapping back when not fully cocked.
Cocking effort significantly harder that Daisy, but no 7yr old boy would have any trouble with it. Manual says 350fps
Overall not bad looking for 65 bucks, but almost screams"inexpensive kids BB gun" which of course it is. Hardwood furniture, blonde, a little more grain structure than the Daisy, no buttpad
or plate which i can fogive for 65 bucks. Stamped steel again with black finish.
Cocking lever and trigger plastic.
Rear sight is sort of a semi-buckhorn notch, elevation only and metal. Front blade is plastic.
This rifle is geared to a MUCH younger shooter than the Daisy. Difficult for an adult to shoot. Your finger may also not fit in the trigger guard. I would say a 10 or 12 year old would
almost find this gun too small.

MARLIN \ CROSMAN CONS
I cant complain about the size because it fits the intended purpose.
Cant complain about much really, we are talking 65 dollars here.
No windage adjustment.

Shooting review at at a later date EXCEPT for a little teaser. I am not shooting the Daisy until my Avanti precision ground BB's get here. I did shoot the Marlin at 5 or 6 yards
with Umurex BB's as I dont know where my copperheads are.

First shot was high, moved elevator down to took 4 more as i only loaded 5 in the hopper.

EDIT: I did want to say "gee whiz" that's not too shabby for a 65 buck kids BB gun with
a pretty heavy trigger that only fits the tip of my finger. First 5 shots out of the box.
If I had of shot for group you
can see they all would have dropped in a hole smaller than a dime, but since I'm shooting
in my living room I kinda like to sight things in before anything else.

More later

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:10 pm 

I know that nobody is terribly interested in these, but the bottom target is 10 shots with the Daisy, sitting on the couch, from a measured 23 feet. Top bull is just sight in and its still a bit to the left, for my eyes anyway.

Yes, I ruined it with the one flyer of course...I think the phone rang..or the fish in the aquarium were being loud...something like that :)

Oh, it HAS occurred to me that some of you may think I've lost my marbles, playing with kid's BB guns, but I assure you, I'm as sane as I ever was, ever was,... :) I'm bored out of my skull. I've run through Netflix catalouge a week ago, Amazon Prime blows, I've got an air rifle apart in pieces where the nurse usually sits, cannot drive, cant walk worth poop, not interested in the morphine, cannot have a beer, BUT, I can sit on my couch and shoot BB guns without bothering anyone, so there!

OK so forget the Marlin Cowboy for now. Shoots 2" to the right and 1" high at 23 feet with a 275lb trigger pull.
I just pulled the rear sight off... Looks like I can elongate the two mounting screw holes as they are only thru holes, the sight screws in to a base on the receiver. I can get a small Dremel grinding bit in there and maybe add 1/4" left to right windage adjustment.

Since the elevator is already at its lowest position, I'll shave the rear leaf while I'm at it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:51 pm 

Very cool. Not bad for a bbgun. I'm considering getting a few for my kids. I know from experience that the standard daisy bbguns are not all that accurate but the 499 seems ok. Good enough for youths starting out.

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:14 pm 

feel free to review this little number, the Daisy 415 CO2 BB shooter :wink:

up to 500fps with reasonable accuracy for a bb pistol, so online reviewers say...
https://www.amazon.ca/Daisy-Outdoor-Pro ... op?ie=UTF8

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:33 pm 

Plink-Panther wrote:
feel free to review this little number, the Daisy 415 CO2 BB shooter :wink:

up to 500fps with reasonable accuracy for a bb pistol, so online reviewers say...
https://www.amazon.ca/Daisy-Outdoor-Pro ... op?ie=UTF8

I bought this exact pistol off of Amazon.ca and was very impressed with its power.

Very hard hitting and reasonably accurate for a steel BB pistol.

Only knock against it was the top loading fixed mag - no way to reload but to put more BBs in it when it was empty (non removeable).

Decided to sell mine and get the even more powerful Daisy Powerline 5170 Airstrike with removable mags (got a total of 4 from the person I bought it from in the U.S.).

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Daisy_Pow ... /1719/3463

:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:05 pm 

Some interesting stuff there, thanks. :)

My opinion is if you're looking for a BB rifle to start a youth off, 5 to 8 years old, I'd. Probably get the Marlin over the Red Ryder for a few reasons. The size first and foremost. It's a small gun. The furniture is nicer and the younger shooter probably can't cock it by himself. That's either a plus or minus depending on your outlook.

If you have a responsible average sized 12yr old and up, I would get the 499 if budget permits. Perfect size, very nice hardwood, and VERY accurate for a BB gun. I'm not even using the Daisy Avanti BB's yet, just the Daisy precision line.

However, it is not a cheap gun and it's not made to be tossed around or treated roughly. I mean, a plastic rear peep simply won't survive long.

The rear sight modification worked great by the way, but my old eyes just can't focus anymore tonight :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:37 pm 

I love those BB rifles. I have 2 RedRyders, one Marlin and a Daisy model 99. I still have to get the 499.
To me the model 99 is the perfect balance between youngster and adult, target and plinker. It's a shame they're not made anymore.
To me they're made to hunt empty soda cans and make them jump in the air when hit.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:11 pm 

DocGadget wrote:
I love those BB rifles. I have 2 RedRyders, one Marlin and a Daisy model 99. I still have to get the 499.
To me the model 99 is the perfect balance between youngster and adult, target and plinker. It's a shame they're not made anymore.
To me they're made to hunt empty soda cans and make them jump in the air when hit.

Darn, I don't have a 99 ;)

Nice to hear from someone else who likes these :). Beware the 499....When you get one, the other rifles will need periodic dusting off because you may not shoot them much anymore ;)

Note.: my Avanti Precision Ground BB's are shipping this week. I've been using Daisy Precision Max. I bought 7000 I think. If you buy a 499 I'll send you a pack so you don't have to wait 2 weeks for Pyramid.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:02 pm 

ITGUY wrote:
DocGadget wrote:

Darn, I don't have a 99 ;)

Nice to hear from someone else who likes these :). Beware the 499....When you get one, the other rifles will need periodic dusting off because you may not shoot them much anymore ;)

Note.: my Avanti Precision Ground BB's are shipping this week. I've been using Daisy Precision Max. I bought 7000 I think. If you buy a 499 I'll send you a pack so you don't have to wait 2 weeks for Pyramid.

I forgot I also have a model 25. Not the original ones but the new ones they made a few years ago. Not bad, but not really accurate either. The BB's are spring loaded so you don't need to shake the gun around to have a BB in the barrel.
If (when) I buy the 499, I'll order the precision ground BB's at the same time (unless I can find one use, which seems very unlikely).
I'm really curious to see if there will be a difference between different BB's in the 499 and if the precision BB's would make a difference in the other ones...

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:31 am 

I bought a first production year Marlin for my grandson who was 7 at the time. Hard hitter- mid 380's depending on temperature and b.b. type. He had a bit of trouble with cocking it, until he learned to brace the receiver against his hip or thigh. He easily scored on libby's bean cans at 15 paces- and the Umarex precision b.b.''s would penetrate one side of the can. Impressive little gem, despite the overly heavy trigger...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:22 am 

I received 7 x 1050 qty. packages today but too busy to try them so far. This weekend for sure.

The Marlin is getting better. Trigger is smoothing out somewhat. The gun is growing on me. It is also hitting harder. I can tell by the " thwack" on the target backing before it hits the putty.

This weekend I will try everything in my BB inventory:

Umarex
Copperheads
Hornady Black Anodized
Daisy Precision Max
Daisy Precision Ground

The Marlin wants to shoot but the size and trigger are hindering me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:05 am 

Change of plans. Gave the Avanti to my son last night as a little thank you for all his help during this foot business. I knew he had his eye on it anyway :) I dont think I can out shoot him with the Marlin, but I sure as Hell can with the next 499 :) :)