Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:00 pm 

I was sure I was going to be happy with just two that I settled on but now I find myself wanting a third air gun.

I have my sights set on the Weihrauch hw77/k. I wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with underlever springers and wether or not they think it's worthwhile.

- For the challenge: Weihrauch HW45 Black Star Pistol (.22 cal)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:52 pm 

Have a 97k, love it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:12 pm 

I was going to get the 97 but came across the 77 in laminate stock and couldn't resist. Still getting used to it but can definitely recommend. Mine is 177.
Last time I looked, SSSO had one at a great price in their dwindling stock... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:17 pm 

DDtank wrote:
I was going to get the 97 but came across the 77 in laminate stock and couldn't resist. Still getting used to it but can definitely recommend. Mine is 177.
Last time I looked, SSSO had one at a great price in their dwindling stock... :wink:

I'm trying to buy that .177 HW77k from SSSO, but sadly it is PAL and I don't think they have a de-tuned spring :( I am still waiting for them to confirm. IF they have one, I'll make the plunge.

I love my HW30S but I am a big guy and that rifle is too small and it's awkward for me to shoot.

DL airgun have the HW97 but it doesn't come with any iron sights, which is what I prefer to use, so that entire model/submodels is off limits for me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:08 pm 

rizaloo wrote:
DL airgun have the HW97 but it doesn't come with any iron sights, which is what I prefer to use, so that entire model/submodels is off limits for me.

I bought the HW57 and HW77 for the same reason. I'm not a fan of not having an iron sight option.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:06 pm 

rizaloo wrote:
I was sure I was going to be happy with just two that I settled on but now I find myself wanting a third air gun.

I have my sights set on the Weihrauch hw77/k. I wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with underlever springers and wether or not they think it's worthwhile.

you will love it, its one of my most accurate and favorite springers that i own and i also have the 97 but still like the 77 better 8)

check this old thread...
topic61894.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:45 am 

rizaloo wrote:

I've got 3 of them, 2 laminates, 77 & 97, and a regular wood 97.

They are beautiful.
They have marvelous German craftsmanship.
They exude quality.
They are the most accurate (air) rifles I own past 10 yards.

They are boring as Hell. :)

There is nothing to "do" to them :) They live in the gun safe and closet. Every now and then they come out, put 20 pellets in a dime sized hole, get wiped down, go back in.

Would I sell them? Never. I love owning them.

I'm a tinkerer though, love taking things apart, maybe trying a new seal or do some trigger work, swap out a spring, convert to NP, smooth out shot cycle, refinish stocks, and so on. Other than putting a low power Vortek kit in the HW's there is no need to touch them.

Now, I wrote this tounge-in-cheek, but if you want the perfect, or almost perfect springer out of the box, dont mind paying for what you get, or just love high quality air rifles, go get one :)

EDIT: Love affair with under levers started quite a few years back with a Browning Leverage which now has the low power spring in it. So quiet now you can shoot it indoors easily. Fairly accurate too, but that only makes sense to me..much better to have a barrel that eliminates the droop and hinge points to enhance accuracy. With scope though I bet that thing weighs over 11lbs. Beast of a rifle.
Also have a few of the super cheap Chinese B4 2A types that are incredibly accurate at 10 yards, for what they are, after being torn apart. As well, I have a few of the side levers like QB-57's and that BAM thing that mimics an AR-15.

I dont "mind" break barrels and a lot of them are spectacularly accurate, but eventually they all droop or loosen up and yes, I have 3 or 4 compensator mounts in my rings \ mount toolbox :)

I just dont buy many anymore. A fixed barrel just makes more sense to me and there are quite a few to choose from, including the CO2 stuff like the QB and AR family, although if you need high power for hunting or pest control, the CO2 stuff really isn't he perfect way to go unless you mod them, or go HPA of course. For a paper puncher like me, they are fine though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:22 am 

Thanks for the write up, ITGUY.

I've decided to get my PAL after all these years mainly so I can have more choices when buying airguns. Once I actually receive it, I'll buy myself a HW77 as a congratulatory gift. That is, if I can manage to find one! DL aren't carrying the carbine version which is the one I was after and also don't have it in .177. I may have to go buy one in the U.S. of A.

If I have a PAL, is it relatively easy to pick up an airgun in the U.S. and bring it back? Or should I not even open that can?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:06 am 

ITGUY wrote:
They are beautiful.
They have marvelous German craftsmanship.
They exude quality.
They are the most accurate (air) rifles I own past 10 yards.

They are boring as Hell. :)

There is nothing to "do" to them :) They live in the gun safe and closet. Every now and then they come out, put 20 pellets in a dime sized hole, get wiped down, go back in.

Would I sell them? Never. I love owning them.

^^^^^^ What he said! x2 :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:09 pm 

hey rizaloo look what just popped up for sale mind you its .22

topic75582.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:37 pm 

That one looks like an older model before they changed the stocks. Doesn't have the Schnabel forend but does have the white spacers I wish they still used.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:04 pm 

rizaloo wrote:
Thanks for the write up, ITGUY.

I've decided to get my PAL after all these years mainly so I can have more choices when buying airguns. Once I actually receive it, I'll buy myself a HW77 as a congratulatory gift. That is, if I can manage to find one! DL aren't carrying the carbine version which is the one I was after and also don't have it in .177. I may have to go buy one in the U.S. of A.

If I have a PAL, is it relatively easy to pick up an airgun in the U.S. and bring it back? Or should I not even open that can?

Many people here have written of their experiences. It ranges from no big deal to a real pain in the buttock. I'd rather pay someone to import it rather than subject myself to customs going and coming. I know they are just doing their jobs and all, but like LEO's, if they want you to have a bad day you can be damn sure you are going to have one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:30 am 

Ace wrote:
hey rizaloo look what just popped up for sale mind you its .22

topic75582.html

I saw it and thanks for the heads up! It's just the last time I bought an airgun used it arrived broken out of the box and I never got anything back from the owner. It was even a reputable guy on this site. I had to ship it (SSSO was nice enough to fix it at a cost) and get it repaired and it took months. It's very likely some real life circumstances played a role in the troubles I had with the sale but regardless of that, since then, I'm very apprehensive about purchasing used guns. Anyways I decided long ago to just absorb the cost/lost time on that and give the guy the benefit of the doubt but it's left me a bit nervous.

It's fine though, as you say it's in the wrong calibre; I would have preferred it in .177. I also may as well just wait until my PAL clears and pick up a full powered version from D&L. That may end up being next year as I'm not sure how long it takes once you actually mail your request for PAL to the RCMP and the course I signed up for isn't until April anyway.

And yeah, it sounds like picking up airguns even with a PAL from the U.S. can be a mixed bag so I'll just avoid that. My life is complex as is it, no need to purposefully make it more so.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:19 pm 

I have an HW97 in .177 and an HW98 in .22, both high power. I'd like 2 more, .22M97 and .177M98 in order to have both calibres in both models of these rifles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:07 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I have an HW97 in .177 and an HW98 in .22, both high power. I'd like 2 more, .22M97 and .177M98 in order to have both calibres in both models of these rifles.

Do you find that the .177 high power version has any accuracy issues? I'm a bit worried about firing off a .177 pellet at such high velocities. But I suppose if they sell all sorts of models that do this very thing, it must be ok.