Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:54 am 

I would judge on what you want ( need )in a air gun by what quality are your powder burners you have now.
If you have a taste for quality in your powder burners , you will not be happy with a so so air gun .

Take from a guy who has been there and had to sell at a loss all my low quality air guns in order to buy what I should have in the first place.

So if you could answer this ( Do you have high quality powder burners ) and then we will make some recommendations.
I thought right off the bat is if you are going to shoot live game the .177 is OUT. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:07 pm 

Another believer in the buy once/cry once scenario.
If you're planning on hunting anything, I'd go with the .22 over the .177...

+ 900fps... is anyone actually getting these numbers with quality pellets?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:52 pm 

sillymike wrote:
Another believer in the buy once/cry once scenario.
If you're planning on hunting anything, I'd go with the .22 over the .177...

+ 900fps... is anyone actually getting these numbers with quality pellets?

900FPS with a springer is getting up there, with lighter pellets in .177cal it is easily doable, but usually doesn't provide good accuracy. My S400 Xtra FAC will push 10.3gr JSB's at around 990FPS at full power, but I only ever use it at about 17FPE, took out a starling at 83yds with it one time :lol:

The Diana 34 I recommended will push a .22cal 16gr JSB at about 660-680FPS (15.4FPE at the muzzle), with a tune kit maybe 720ish, lots of knock down power for small game like squirrel, most birds, rabbits within 40-50yds (still retaining 10FPE on impact at 50yds)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:56 am 

Way back in 1966ish I got my first airgun ...a Slavia 624. My 13th birthday in '69 I got a Slavia 620 and with that rifle I became a true hunter..took out my first rabbits easily at , say20 - 30yd and that's an average distance for any rabbit hunting. Bobwhite quail too.
1971 I got my gun licence and I have no idea where that 620 went..
Being a ethical hunter I do know my capabilitys and that of the certain firearm I'm using at the time...one shot - one kill , kind of thing.
With an airgun today , it will be used 99% of the time for target , I'm looking more for the "ability" to take a cottontail at 50yd .
If a person likes shooting it really doesn't matter with what . Yeah , for sure , shouldering a M1 Garand , or a SKS or the absolute best ..the Canadian made No.4 MK1* .303Brit Lee Enfield , 10 rd mad minute, yeah that's cool...proven best , by the best ..that's my kind of quality ..but my "collection" is incomplete without a decent airgun.
Cheap shooting for the guys 'n gals and just plain fun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:29 pm 

Bbqznbeer wrote:
I've been on the look-out for a new rifle and instead of a powder burner , I'm tending for a decent air rifle.

It's been a little while since I used an air rifle for "semi serious" shooting..45 yrs actually ...when my ,well used, Slavia 620 disappeared in the closet to be replaced by a Winchester / Cooey 600 . I became a "hunter" with that Slavia 620 , taking my first rabbits and Bob-White quail as well !

Today , I'd be shooting mostly at targets but there will be some pest " hit contracts " to fill.
After watching hours of reviews on YouTube , a break-barrel action is preferred and I'm leaning towards the Umarex Octane .
$250ish (seems decently priced) , 3 year warranty , chron'd at around 900fps with lead pellets , decent accuracy at 50yd. , looks tough enough , nothing negative said about the Umarex scope...
Do any of you fine people have any input on their experiences with the Octane or maybe an alternative break action rifle ?
Still not sure on wether to go .177 or .22... :roll:

I started off with a couple PCP's, a BAM51 in .22, then a Hatsan BT65 in .177 - then got an HW97 in .177, then HW98 in .22. I should have started with the HW's and maybe an Air Force Condor or Talon. I still have & love the HW's as well as the .25 Condor and .22 Brocock.

from talking to local guys about their inexpensive (sub $300.00) air guns, they should also have saved for a couple more months and bought HW's.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:54 am 

I have this uneasy feeling , this could get addictive.... :twisted: