Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:50 am 

Good to here Chris, I pull the bearing at 250 shots for inspection or whenever I have the rifle apart,you are getting close. I am about 1300 shots ahead of you. Time for an update pic after today's shooting session.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:46 pm 

1500 shot mark, washers and bearing are looking good. The weather warmed up enough to do some shooting outside, nice to get some longer range shooting in.
Left washer is from piston side.

Attachments:
Thrust Bearing March 17 19 001 (2).jpg
Thrust Bearing March 17 19 001 (2).jpg [ 561.97 KiB | Viewed 2314 times ]
Thrust Bearing March 17 19 001 (800x534).jpg
Thrust Bearing March 17 19 001 (800x534).jpg [ 456.63 KiB | Viewed 2314 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:13 pm 

I can not see any evidence of rotation of the rollers on the washers . Is it bound ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:36 pm 

What evidence are you looking for, I can assure you there is rotation, you could see it in the grease before I cleaned it off but I figured you would want to look for defects so I left out the grease.
Also if the bearing was "bound" you would see it on the washers, and there would be flat spots on the rollers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:44 pm 

Did you resurface the washers ? They look like they have been dressed . The surface does not appear the same as the earlier pics . They show striations from sanding not present in the earlier pics . I would expect divots in the washers from the rollers , as the rollers are harder than the washers .

Attachments:
C.JPG
C.JPG [ 57.59 KiB | Viewed 2303 times ]
Ca.JPG
Ca.JPG [ 71.37 KiB | Viewed 2304 times ]

Last edited by pelsby on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:50 pm 

Nope they have not been touched, those marks are from the original polishing job, no tricks here. :roll:
That pic you have is before I surfaced the washers so no marks, those are brand new out of the package.
You should also re-read posts 2,3 and 4, might explain it for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:53 pm 

D350 has turned into my most accurate gun. Bit of a cannon for 40' garage though. Just ordered some bearings for my new Benjamin .22. Will try that rifle with thrust washer also on the weekend. Going to order 4 different weights to try in 5.52 skirt. If any shoot accurately in my 3 .22's, I'll then chrony and order only 1 weight.
In 350 I'm using same pellets as before, groupings are much better, at least half, can cover all brands with a dime. Loves the JSB Jumbo Heavies though.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:04 am 

Good to hear your 350 is shooting good Chris. If you have to size the new bearings for your Benj. 22 be carefull not to remove to much material where the pins from the rollers engage the cage and clean them good when you are done.
I don't have Benji. springer so you are on your own whether it will work or not. Update when you are done if you don't mind.
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:57 am 

This reminds me a lot of my old RX8. Rotary engine is great, super great until it's not. When things go south it happens very quickly. I'm sure if I pulled the motor and examined every 1000k it would been good for my entire life. Same with this thrust bearing. Working well as it should while in prime condition. You are pulling it out, cleaning, inspecting, and reassembling knowing there is no wear. Leaving it in for 20,000 shots through hot and cold weather under no maintenance and neglect like how many springers are treated and then examine is a better test. Not a matter of if but when failure happens which is always at the wrong time.

As others have stated a stainless steel face washer and delrin rear washer seems ideal to me. Enough reduction in axial load to allow a spring to rotate through the shot cycle while being dead reliable.

I don't want to discourage or discredit any of your valuable research and efforts so I apologias for my contrasting opinion.

Thank you for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:40 pm 

Quote:
Leaving it in for 20,000 shots through hot and cold weather under no maintenance and neglect like how many springers are treated and then examine is a better test. Not a matter of if but when failure happens which is always at the wrong time.

No maintenance for 20,000 shots :shock: . Anyone following that maintenance schedule should not own a gun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:00 pm 

robertr wrote:
Quote:
Leaving it in for 20,000 shots through hot and cold weather under no maintenance and neglect like how many springers are treated and then examine is a better test. Not a matter of if but when failure happens which is always at the wrong time.

No maintenance for 20,000 shots :shock: . Anyone following that maintenance schedule should not own a gun.

You are right 20,000 is too much. 5000 then. imo a light amount of shots. Truth is most people will never do any maintenance on their springer, ever regardless of the amount of shots they take.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:53 pm 

Here is some info on why I did the mod and why I think it should work. Emphasis on "tuned". This may also explain the reported failures. JMO
Quote:
When a spring gun is fired
Most spring guns, including those with gas springs, work the way I’m about to describe. When the gun is cocked, the mainspring is compressed by the piston, which is held in the rearward position by the sear. When the trigger releases the sear, the piston springs forward, compressing air as it goes. When the air is fully compressed it stops the piston before it hits the end of the compression chamber.

On some guns that aren’t properly designed or guns that have been tuned incorrectly, the piston actually slams into the end of the compression chamber because the air pressure isn’t high enough to stop it. This is why some pellets feel much harsher than others in a spring gun — because they either move too soon and are unbalancing the powerplant (allowing things to happen that shouldn’t) or they remain in place too long, allowing the piston to rebound off the high-pressure air in the compression chamber.

Here is the full article. https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2012/02/the-spring-piston-powerplant/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:57 pm 

Quote:
Truth is most people will never do any maintenance on their springer, ever regardless of the amount of shots they take.

It is obvious these people would not do this mod.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:02 pm 

I for one am interested in your results can argue facts ............

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:29 pm 

robertr wrote:
Quote:
Truth is most people will never do any maintenance on their springer, ever regardless of the amount of shots they take.

It is obvious these people would not do this mod.

No, probably not.

lauchlin wrote:
I for one am interested in your results can argue facts ............

As am I. The contrasting opinions are not a reason to stop but to continue and gather quantified data. Good for the whole community.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next