Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: .22 cal reamer wanted
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:15 pm 

I have a .22 cal barrel that needs a leade. So I'm looking for a reamer. I will pay postage both ways to borrow one or buy one if I knew where from.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:06 pm 

Probably going to have to try Brownell's in the states.
Be sure to specify a diameter~ they do have a/g related tooling from time to time.

http://brownells.com

Let us know how you make out. Too bad I can't come up with anything else...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:51 am 

What's your definition of "leade"...for me it's the transition into the rifling.

Have a cross dimensioned drawing of the breech end?

Al

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:18 am 

Pacific Tool and Gauge sells "chucking" reamers. These run in .001" increments and are much cheaper than 'chambering' reamers.

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 am 

I couldn't find "chucking reamers" using a search on that website.... :? .... do you mean throating reamers?.... neck reamers?... :? .... what type are available in 0.001" increments?....

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 am 

rsterne wrote:
I couldn't find "chucking reamers" using a search on that website.... :? .... do you mean throating reamers?.... neck reamers?... :? .... what type are available in 0.001" increments?....

Bob

Pacific to list them separately - but still make them, I'm sure.

I also looked at Manson Reamers

https://mansonreamers.com

I did also find this when googling Chucking Reamers - a LOT of different sites with chucking reamers.

here's one - Acklands

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/catego ... ing/c/5325

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:57 am 

Lots of reamers here:
http://www.kbctools.ca/products/CUTTING ... AMERS.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:47 am 

I am well aware that there are hundreds, or thousands, of reamers listed on the Internet.... Most of them are specific sizes, for specific purposes.... eg. to ream a hole for a 1/4" pin, or a 7mm pin, etc.etc.... VERY few are available in 0.001" increments (I've never seen them), which is basically what is required for a reamer to create a chamber in a barrel.... IMO, if you can't go to a page for a reamer, input the diameter you want, or select it from a dropdown menu.... you are in for spending a few days trying to find what you are looking for, and most likely will be unsuccessful.... If someone actually has a link for straight reamers that are available in 0.001" increments, from 0.170" to 0.500".... I'd appreciate you posting it.... If they have a pilot to keep the reamer from going bumptity-bump over the rifling lands, that would also be immensely helpful....

Yeah, I'm lazy.... but I also realize that a list of reamers in 1/128ths, or even 0.1mm increments.... will NOT give me what I want.... Airgun barrels are all over the place for diameter, both land and groove, there is NO standardization like there is in PB calibers.... so the likelihood of finding a PB chamber reamer of the correct diameters is remote also.... The last reamer I made had a pilot diameter of 0.247", and a chamber diameter of 0.258", with a 1 degree leade between them.... I don't know of anywhere you could even purchase such an item, without having one custom made.... If I couldn't make my own, I would approach Al (Gippeto) and ask him if he could make one for me.... Sean Pero used to make them, before he disappeared....

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:16 pm 

rsterne wrote:
If someone actually has a link for straight reamers that are available in 0.001" increments, from 0.170" to 0.500".... I'd appreciate you posting it.... If they have a pilot to keep the reamer from going bumptity-bump over the rifling lands, that would also be immensely helpful....

No pilots on them, but perhaps .0005” increments will surely be satisfactory?… :wink:

(page takes a few minutes to load...be patient! :lol: )
http://www.kbctools.ca/products/CUTTING ... /2104.aspx

As for the taper, best Joe could do as far as “off-the-shelf/store-bought” is a Taper Pin reamer. Have read where a few fellas have used these with success on AG barrels. ¼” per ft taper is ~ 1.2*…though I’m not sure if that’s 1.2* incl or per side (2.4* incl)?

http://www.kbctools.ca/products/CUTTING ... S/291.aspx

I do agree with you though - best bet would be to have one made to whatever your specific dimensions require.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:58 pm 

An over / under reamer set has 0.001 over and under size reamers.
https://www.amazon.ca/Grizzly-H5603-Chu ... ng+reamers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:11 pm 

There's some chucking reamers - Wonder what reamer maker Amazon got them from. Perhaps if you want one or several from Pacific, you have to order it? They used to have them - or maybe it was Manson reamers & perhaps even Clymer.

It may take a few phone calls to get what you need. I would start by phoning Pacific, then Manson, Clymer, etc. If they do not make them any more, they should know where you can get them from.

Last price I saw, was closer to $25.00 ea.

These are a lot more expensive. Some private rifle makers have used them for incrementally enlarging chamber necks.

https://www.amazon.ca/Grizzly-H5603-Chu ... ng+reamers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:02 pm 

Todd, that is QUITE the selection of straight chucking reamers, thanks so much for the link, I have bookmarked it.... They miss a few sizes, but for most of what we would need they have 0.0005" or 0.001" steps....

The over/under reamers linked (by several) are pretty useless for our purposes, unless you happen to be working with barrels that are increments of 1/16".... Not sure how you would use the tapered pin reamers, unless you grind it down leaving only the tapered portion you need?.... Looks like they are for specific sizes of tapered pins.... as per this chart.... https://smithy.com/machining-reference/ ... ing/page/7

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 pm 

rsterne wrote:
If they have a pilot to keep the reamer from going bumptity-bump over the rifling lands, that would also be immensely helpful....

Bob

This is exactly why I suggested Brownell's. It would be a lot less stress getting something specific purpose made...

From their lowly rimfire crowning tool to their Clymer reamers, most of them come equipped with a pilot.

-D.S.