Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:23 pm 

Hi all,

I had my .22 Sumatra carbine tuned by Travis at AGS last year and finally got around to running it though the chrony. It was originally shooting way too hot with extreme FPS spreads and Travis tamed it to the extent that it has become more consistent, albeit at the expense of a bit less power - which is fine - it still packs a punch. I can work with 12 or so usable shots at the mid-power setting.

I used 5 different pellets for the test: the JSB Jumbo Monster Beast at 34gr. , the JSB Jumbo Monster at 25.4gr., the H&N Barracuda Match 21.14gr. (5.52mm), the H&N Barracuda Hunter Extreme at 193.09 gr. and the JSB Jumbo Heavy at 18.13gr. I produced a 12 shot string (two clips) of all these pellets with the power wheel set at the mid-power position (what I call the Low Red power wheel position). I also shot one 12 shot string at the Max Power setting using the JSB 34 gr. Beasts.

I filled the gun to a 2900 PSI setting for each 12 shot string and found that when shooting at Low Red the gauge had dropped to between 2300 and 2500PSI depending on the pellet. The exception to this being the string I shot on max power with the JSB Beasts: after 12 shots the gauge was reading at tad under 2000PSI. I would have liked to stretch the strings to 18 shots (or 3 clips) but I ran out of air. The gun will shoot at slower velocities if I crank the power wheel down, however I wanted to illustrate the capabilities of this gun at the mid power level.

Regards ......Dan

Attachments:
CAF 2500 DATA.jpg
CAF 2500 DATA.jpg [ 303.84 KiB | Viewed 1445 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:39 pm 

Hi all,

Here is more chrony data for the Sumatra. In the OP above I had the gun set at a mid-power setting which was suitable for about 12 shots before power dropped off noticeably. In this instance, I set the power wheel to its mid-low setting (blue dot on the wheel) and achieved up to 24 suitable shots per fill at the expense of reduced velocity and ME. However, the Extreme Spread (ES) and Standard Deviation (SD) figures improved noticeably. See graphs. I did not use the JSB 34 gr. Beast this time – but replaced it with the H&N Baracuda Hunter 18.21 gr. pellet. I followed the same process of filling the gun to 2900 PSI between pellets. Cheers . Dan

Attachments:
Data on Low Setting Sumatra.jpg
Data on Low Setting Sumatra.jpg [ 409.48 KiB | Viewed 1259 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:10 pm 

I took the Sumatra out to the range last weekend and managed a 12 shot group of 1.75 inch at 50 yards through a 20 km/h crosswind with JSB Jumbo Heavy 18 gr. pellets from a solid bench rest. Of the pellets I tried (Baracuda Hunter, Baracuda Extreme, Baracuda Match and JSB Jumbo Monster) the 18 gr. Heavies were the most consistent at bucking the wind.

Earlier this month I fired off a 6 shot group at high power of the 34gr. Jumbo Beasts at 50 yards (per range finder) from a seated position using a tripod for the gun (not a solid bench rest). There was no wind that day. Managed a 2 and 1/8 inch group from a full 2900 PSI fill. Average of the 6 shots was 818 FPS which came out to just a tad under 50 ft./lbs. of ME.

Lastly, this what the Sumatra did to the face of a 1.1mm thick metal drill bit case. Shot at 12 yards in my basement and at full power. From top to bottom, the pellets were JSB 34 gr. Jumbo Beast, JSB 25gr. Jumbo Monster, H&N 21 gr. Baracuda Match and H&N 19gr. Hunter Extreme. I will leave it to your imagination to determine what type of small game you can hunt with this powerhouse.

Cheers ...... Dan

Attachments:
JSB Jumbo Heavy 50 yards.jpg
JSB Jumbo Heavy 50 yards.jpg [ 496.61 KiB | Viewed 1254 times ]
JSB Beasts 50 yards.jpg
JSB Beasts 50 yards.jpg [ 528.16 KiB | Viewed 1254 times ]
Drill Case.jpg
Drill Case.jpg [ 259.91 KiB | Viewed 1254 times ]