Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:54 am 

What do you think is the most asked question on any airgun forum? I think it's "What airgun should I buy?". And rightfully so, after all who knows the answer to that question better then us airgun enthusiasts. Because we know what's involved we always respond with questions like, how much do you want to spend, what will you be using it for etc.
I propose we make of list of appropriate questions that should be answered in any post asking for advise in that regard.

I'll start out:
1. In what price range are you looking?
2. What will you be using it for?
3. What guns do you already own?

So let's add more questions you think are important in making a gun purchase decision.
When all the questions are sorted a new sticky could be posted called "What gun should I buy?".

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:00 pm 

In addition to your questions, here's a few more....

Where will you be shooting? What range / distance.

Are you aware of the different ways an airgun is powered? I.E. Spring, Gas Piston, Compressed Air, CO2?

Do you know what a P.A.L. is and do you have one, or are you getting one later?

Iron sights or scoped? How are your eyes?

Is noise a factor for you?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:23 pm 

Good ones.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:09 pm 

Bases are pretty much covered with ITGUY's additions. I'm not sure where you're going with this thread, but my translation is you're heading toward a brilliant idea: a questionnaire for people with like questions to fill out and post when asking for such advice. :D

That takes me back to a suggestion I made in an earlier iteration on this forum: provide members with an URL where they can upload/download documents that members provide for the benefit of other members. Now, of course, that is easy to execute with services such as dropbox, but I'll stop there because it's your thread and I may actually be thinking in an opposite direction to what you'd like to see in your thread.

I agree; you've got a great "sticky" idea.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:46 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
A questionnaire for people with like questions to fill out and post when asking for such advice. :D

That takes me back to a suggestion I made in an earlier iteration on this forum: provide members with an URL where they can upload/download documents that members provide for the benefit of other members. Now, of course, that is easy to execute with services such as dropbox, but I'll stop there because it's your thread and I may actually be thinking in an opposite direction to what you'd like to see in your thread.

I agree; you've got a great "sticky" idea.

Thank you. I'm afraid my computer skills are not nearly as keen as many members on this site so if anyone knows an easier or better way of doing this like Edmonton<500's idea I'd like to hear it but I need it explained more simply :oops:.
So this is what I've come up with so far and I welcome suggestion for other questions you'd like answered before giving your gun purchasing advice.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Want advice for your next gun purchase?
Simply 'Copy' and 'Paste' the questionnaire below into your 'New Post', fill in the boxes and submit.
Remember to change the 'Subject' to something like - Need advice for purchasing a new gun.

1. New [ ] and/or Used [ ]. If Used would you welcome PM's from members with guns they have that you might like to buy? Yes [ ] No [ ].
2. Rifle [ ], Pistol [ ].
3. Price range. [$ ] to [$ ].
4. Powered by - Coil spring [ ], Gas spring [ ], Single stroke pneumatic [ ], Multi stroke pneumatic [ ], Co2 [ ], Precharged pneumatic [ ], Don't know [ ].
5. Caliber [ ] and/or [ ], Don't know [ ].
6. How far will you be shooting, from [yds.] to [yds.].
7. Power - Non Pal (Possession and Acquisition License) <500fps [ ], Pal Required >500 to <1000fps [ ], Pal Required >1000fps [ ], Don't know [ ].
8. Mainly used for - Hunting small game [ ], Hunting medium size game [ ],Target competition [ ], Fun/target/plinking [ ].
9. Preferred brands [ ], Unwanted brands [ ].
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Comments

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:55 pm 

Simply 'Copy' and 'Paste' the questionnaire below into your 'New Post'. Then only fill in the boxes you want and submit.
Remember to change the 'Subject' line to something like - Need advice for purchasing a new gun.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My criteria for a buying a new gun.

1. Rifle [ ], Pistol [ ].
2. New [ ] and/or Used [ ]. If Used, would you welcome PM's from members with guns they have that you might like to buy? Yes [ ] No [ ].
3. Price range [$ ] to [$ ].
4. Powered by - Coil spring [ ], Gas spring [ ], Single stroke pneumatic [ ], Multi stroke pneumatic [ ], Co2 [ ], Precharged pneumatic [ ].
5. Caliber [ ] or [ ].
6. I will be shooting out to about [yds.].
7. I'll be using - Open sights [ ], Scope with [ X] magnification.
8. Power - Non Pal (Possession and Acquisition License) <500fps [ ], Pal Required >500 to <1000fps [ ], Pal Required >1000fps [ ].
9. Mainly used for - Hunting small game [ ], Hunting medium size game [ ],Target competition [ ], Fun/target/plinking [ ].
10. I've been considering these guns [ ].

Comments.
-

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:58 pm 

I thought about this before posting....who likes a suggestion that creates more work right? Obviously this is not my board, I am not an admin, or even a mod....I do not know how much time the people who run the board have available and so on, but here:https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/ you can find a lot of extensions and add-ons for this open source software. There may be something pre-made that could be used as a "form" with customization for fields.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:44 pm 

ITGUY wrote:
I thought about this before posting....who likes a suggestion that creates more work right? Obviously this is not my board, I am not an admin, or even a mod....I do not know how much time the people who run the board have available and so on, but here:https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/ you can find a lot of extensions and add-ons for this open source software. There may be something pre-made that could be used as a "form" with customization for fields.

I agree on many counts; just a software update alone would offer more; but this forum is 12+ years old, and since this board was created, the senior admins have moved on (and who wouldn't after a dozen years or so?). My intention here is not to be critical; those people obviously maintain a commitment to keep this board running, and dedicated people such as Brent (Lauchlin), make that happen. Brent runs the day-to-day operation on this forum, but he is not an admin and cannot make those types of decisions nor facilitate those types of revisions.

I, among hundreds of members, are grateful for the fact that the admins are keeping this board running, and recognize that requires time and commitment (I remember the hosting issues; as a previous forum admin, I understand how invasive such issues are on one's time). So, we must remember and understand this is a private site on the Internet, and its operation is controlled by its owner(s). Perhaps some sort of negotiations in the future could add elements of "freshness" to the forum. In the meantime, we are what we are - and there are a lot of good things to say about that.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:56 am 

I ran a VBB board once for the owner ( he has around 150 boards). All my moderators were volunteer and the only compensation was freebies from sponsors...cases of synthetic oil, subwoofers, all kinds of stuff.

Difficult to get a good mod that had both judgement and free time...some just wanted to weild the ban stick, some never did anything, and so on.

I tried to keep the advertising down by selling premium memberships. You got more PM space, a bigger Avatar, custom user name...small stuff like that.

Had to give it up as it turned in to a giant time sink headache. Never again. Like most things in life, can't please everyone and contrary to popular belief, the older I get, the LESS patience I have, especially with people.

So like you Murray, I'll just say "Thank You" and try to stay under the radar and lay off any suggestions. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:27 pm 

Quote:
So like you Murray, I'll just say "Thank You" and try to stay under the radar and lay off any suggestions. ;)

:roll: I must admit I set off the radar occasionally, but always with good intentions.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:24 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
ITGUY wrote:

I agree on many counts; just a software update alone would offer more; but this forum is 12+ years old, and since this board was created, the senior admins have moved on (and who wouldn't after a dozen years or so?). My intention here is not to be critical; those people obviously maintain a commitment to keep this board running, and dedicated people such as Brent (Lauchlin), make that happen. Brent runs the day-to-day operation on this forum, but he is not an admin and cannot make those types of decisions nor facilitate those types of revisions.

I, among hundreds of members, are grateful for the fact that the admins are keeping this board running, and recognize that requires time and commitment (I remember the hosting issues; as a previous forum admin, I understand how invasive such issues are on one's time). So, we must remember and understand this is a private site on the Internet, and its operation is controlled by its owner(s). Perhaps some sort of negotiations in the future could add elements of "freshness" to the forum. In the meantime, we are what we are - and there are a lot of good things to say about that.

Well there a few more mods that also run the day today also i would say you just don't notice ...... No one removes more spam than under500fps he is also never ending editing the forsale section ...Whitewolf is also very active he's kind of a trouble maker unlike myself :lol: :lol: Any ways if you guy get something together you want as a stick we will make it happen ........

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:24 pm 

I think this is a good Idea.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:15 pm 

lauchlin wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
ITGUY wrote:

Well there a few more mods that also run the day today also i would say you just don't notice ...... No one removes more spam than under500fps he is also never ending editing the forsale section ...Whitewolf is also very active he's kind of a trouble maker unlike myself :lol: :lol: Any ways if you guy get something together you want as a stick we will make it happen ........

Indeed; smiling nods of gratitude to all those people as well (except Whitewolf, maybe - :P ); I was aware and did not intend to discount any mod's contribution. I think you know where I was going with this.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:23 pm 

This is probably not the place to ask this, but with respect to the tangent this thread has taken I'll ask anyway.

Who is the "owner" of this forum? The capo dei capi, the Godfather, the boss of all bosses? The man that can flip the switch off and take his ball and go home?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:43 pm 

That would be Webstein and Sniper Dan. The Admins of the forum board.

And yes I resemble the trouble maker comments just others have different words for it... :butthead: ... :mrgreen:

Whitewolf