Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:21 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
(page 17 of the guide) hopefully they'll eventually come around! As they say in the video, the arrows are packing more fpe than any compound bow can deliver

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

What has FPE to do with arrows?

Impacts below about 2,500fps cause NO - ie: 0 cavitation of the tissues, thus No hydrostatic shock to the animal - sub 2,500fps.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:04 pm 

Sorry, my lack of knowledge is displaying itself, lol. Anyway they are shooting arrows faster than a compound, I suppose the Broadhead on them is smaller, so that may mean less hemorrhaging, not as effective? The bucks died quickly with one shot each either way, so seemed to do the trick for deer anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:07 pm 

I love shooting. I own many AG's, even more powder burners.
I hand load. But when it comes to big game it's my 60# compound bow exclusively. I feed my family of 5 wild meat exclusively ,mostly moose ( I hope I continue being blessed with success).
The furthest I have seen a moose go after a well placed arrow is 300 meters. Most are down inside 100 meters. We just finished a delicious meal from a huge whitetail took at 40 meters, a well placed shot with a bow is game over.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:54 pm 

Nice! Sounds like you live in a great hunting area! Great shooting at 40 meters!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:09 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Nice! Sounds like you live in a great hunting area! Great shooting at 40 meters!

Thanks! I live 80km north of Edmonton. Loads of game here.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:14 pm 

Arrow weight is much more important than arrow speed, especially when hunting moose and elk. Deer and black bears are pretty soft/easy to pen.

In BC, the minimum broadhead width is 7/8".

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:19 pm 

Yeah, good point Daryl, lol! They were using 50 calibre so a little too small, for BC anyway. Maybe I'm too reckless, but seeing how those deer dropped, if it was legal in Saskatchewan, I'd be happy to try one out though, maybe first on a deer but I'd try a Moose if I had a good broadside shot! Lol, haven't had a chance to go Moose hunting in 3 years though so on second thought I might just stick with my rifle if I ever get a chance to hunt Moose again!
Hw77grey, that's super, I envy you! I grew up in eastern Saskatchewan, bush and lake country with loads of Moose and elk, missing it now living on the prairies in the south. Haven't even found a farm yet I can shoot gophers on!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:05 am 

Ahhhh - Sask - in 1972 when in basic training, Depot Division, Regina, I spend many weekends on my distant cousin's ranch(s), South of Moosejaw, shooting gophers - mostly with my service revolver, but also tried a .177 German air rifle - probably an RWS which one - don't remember, a Browning T-22 and my .300 Savage M99 - LO- that one was rough on jackrabbits. Lots of whitetails in that area.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:42 am 

Nice! Yeah, real gopher and jackrabbit country around here! Good memories!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:48 pm 

I didn't get a white tail hunt, but my bro did in 1969 when he went through - shot a nice 4x4 on the range - 5x5 counting brow tines as they now do in BC.

When cleaning it, the heart fell onto on toe of his brand new Swede Cowboy Boots. The stain NEVER came out. LOL- I saw those boots in Masset, Queen Charlotte Islands in 1973 on a deer hunting trip with Taylor.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:20 am 

He wasn't going to forget that hunt hey! Queen Charlotte's has those little deer doesn't it? I was there for a few days in the 90's, beautiful country. Rainy!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:34 am 

The Charlottes are absolutely breathtakingly beautiful when the sun shines - only 3 or 4 times a year, it seems. LOL But- so nice when it happens.

Yes - small deer - sitka/blacktail cross, I think - on Graham Island, the big islandand on the East coast there are deer to 100 pounds or more.

On Morseby Island you can shoot a 4 point (8 for Easterners) buck that will dress out at 28 to 30 pounds. Must be careful.

The Elk are Roosevelt Elk, and typically, are quite large.

The island sports black bears that give the huge black bears of Pennsylvania a go.

The biggest black bear from Gescatla or Jescatly, not to far from Port Clements area I saw was 875lbs. on a beam scale.

Al Bilby, who ran the gas station in Masset, had a rug made of a big bear he shot, that covered his living room wall, almost completely, floor to ceiling, mounted on an angle- right leg tacked to the ceiling, elbow to paw and left hind leg out on the floor from above the knee, out to the foot. It was almost 9 1/2' long - and JUST a black bear.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:26 pm 

Wow!! That's one huge black bear! Would've been something, too see one of those, and get a chance to take it as well. Wouldn't want to meet up with one up close, even with a gun[emoji51].
We have lots of black bears around where I grew up, not that big though. I've only shot one in my life, dressing it out almost made me sick though, they look almost human once you get the skin off and the meat is really greasy. Taste good though! Least the one I had was pretty tasty.
I have no squeamishness at all dressing out Moose or elk, deer, been helping with it since I was a kid, but bears, I'll pass on those from now on!

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:31 am 

lol, sorry I kind of went off topic of the moose hunting with an airgun. Got carried away!

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:42 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Wow!! That's one huge black bear! Would've been something, too see one of those, and get a chance to take it as well. Wouldn't want to meet up with one up close, even with a gun[emoji51].
We have lots of black bears around where I grew up, not that big though. I've only shot one in my life, dressing it out almost made me sick though, they look almost human once you get the skin off and the meat is really greasy. Taste good though! Least the one I had was pretty tasty.
I have no squeamishness at all dressing out Moose or elk, deer, been helping with it since I was a kid, but bears, I'll pass on those from now on!

I've skinned a lot of bears - never have I every thought a skinned black bear looked like a human. Lots of people have said that over the years, but I don't see it.

Maybe I haven't shot any skinny bears?