Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: 2200/1322 project
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:13 pm 

Should drop a 14 or 18" barrel on it and see what you get.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:30 pm 

I have the 14.5" barrel on it. Either the hammer isn't sliding nicely for some reason or its valve & hammer spring problem I'm thinking. Doc Sharptail had to put a something around the back breech screw, under the breech to keep the tube properly round. Could be my problem as well.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:30 pm 

Only took those couple shots

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:07 pm 

SSGs are intended to improve efficiency by retaining more air by preventing hammer bounce.... MSPs, generally, are "pump and dump", where you want all the air in the valve dumped every shot.... Therefore an SSG would be a waste of time.... If you are trying to get more than one shot without repumping (at lower power, of course), then I can see using one....

Bob

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:33 pm 

Thanks, yeah that's the plan, to put a 16g cartridge out the side of valve, but at the moment you're right it isn't any sense to have an ssg on it if I'm trying to dump all the air. I'm somehow not getting the speed I should be though, something isn't working quite right. I notice on the 1st and part of the second pump the valve stem isn't sealing, and air is burping out the port, so will have to take it apart and look for the problem

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:31 am 

Getting a little late to this party :wink:

Nothing but emergency trouble calls at work, and no time to get on here.

If the rear of your valve is where I think it is, you ain't doing too bad # wise for .22 cal. and a 14.6 bbl.
Could probably use a bit more hammer stroke- a recessed rva of some kind would help give the hammer a bit of travel.
How much rva travel are you getting before coil bound on the hammer spring?

I ended up using an idler off an old d/p handle to make my rva, and gained a bit of hammer stroke.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:36 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
I temporarily misplaced my hammer spring with spring guide on the back lol, so couldn't adjust it with the rva and so stuck a spring in there temporarily, but it is too light as it retains some air at 5 pumps and only shot at 415fps. Will do some proper testing soon I hope!

Did the same thing with a 13-XX hammer spring. Keep forgetting to de-cock before removing rva :lol:
It ended up in my shirt collar. Didn't find it until laundry day- after it had been through both washer and dryer, it was still lodged under the collar. Good thing I fold down collars- wouldn't have found it otherwise....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:49 am 

Ha! Yeah it's amazing where they can end up! That's pretty good, made it through the washer and everything! Found mine as well, was hiding in plain sight. [emoji4]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:55 am 

I'm not getting many turns in at all before hammer bound, it would be great to find something to extend the back end. I don't know if I'm just tired or maybe I just don't know what a idler off a d/p handle is. [emoji3]
Sounds like what I need though!
It started shooting somewhat faster but as I said earlier it's farting air out the port on the first two pumps. Will have to check my valve stem see what is happening.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:23 am 

I'm pretty sure it came off an old beaver drill press table, or maybe an old table saw. Basically what it is, is the part that allows the threaded in handle section on a gear tooth adjusting wheel to turn, free-spool style.

Sounds like your hammer is resting under tension against the valve stem end. Try cocking the hammer before pumping? I have to with the 2100/13 and it's extended/recessed rva.... and a few others.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:34 am 

Ah right nice that worked out size wise. I have a valve front that I had tapped 1/8 npt to connect to a bottle quite a while ago. I could maybe retap it 3/8" for an rva and cut the threaded part off where it would join the back of the valve, or maybe just leave the threads and then drill and tap holes for breech and trigger screws. It'd be the right size anyway!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:39 am 

Yeah it could be that I need to cock it though I thought I had tried that, maybe I didn't, forget now, I'll have to check that out to make sure. I have a regular valve spring with a few coils cut off and the spring stretched back to stock length. I thought it was still pretty stiff but could be the problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:49 am 

I never extended the sear slot on this tube, still seems to cock and shoot. Did you cut yours longer, Doc? Rsterne had cut his slot 3/16. I suppose my sear may not be able to slide as high up into the hammer slot the way it is, though it still catches and cocks. Could make it easier for the gun to fire when dropped or something I suppose. Haven't tried banging it on the table to see, probably should I guess for safety sake.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:13 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
I never extended the sear slot on this tube, still seems to cock and shoot. Did you cut yours longer, Doc? Rsterne had cut his slot 3/16. I suppose my sear may not be able to slide as high up into the hammer slot the way it is, though it still catches and cocks. Could make it easier for the gun to fire when dropped or something I suppose. Haven't tried banging it on the table to see, probably should I guess for safety sake.

I think my 2100 tube was at least 8 years old, and yes, I had to open up the sear slot by almost 1/4".
The original hammers on the 21/22 series guns have a recessed cocking edge- almost 5/16" back from the hammer face. Needless to say, they are a bit on the light-weight side...

I actually found out I needed to open up the sear slot by trial and error testing with the rva off and hammer spring out. Could actually feel the sear dragging against the bottom of the hammer. It doesn't take much to bind these sears, even with the trigger fully depressed....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:35 am 

I'll have to check this, I'm not sure I understand exactly why opening the sear slot further would help drop the sear further away from the hammer when the trigger is pulled. Once I get it apart again and look at it I'm sure I'll see.