Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: My new BB/Pellet trap
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:18 pm 

Decided to Build a BB trap

used 1/2 Pressed Board
3mm Lexan and Coroplast

i decided to make the targets re settable By a string and some Bar stock 3 of them on the bottom

here is what i have

Please note that i am still going to Add a Tree in the center of the box using Threaded Rod with some Aluminum Washers

Attachments:
IMG_20170614_230948.jpg
IMG_20170614_230948.jpg [ 257.86 KiB | Viewed 2221 times ]
IMG_20170614_230909.jpg
IMG_20170614_230909.jpg [ 271.9 KiB | Viewed 2221 times ]
IMG_20170614_230845.jpg
IMG_20170614_230845.jpg [ 244.02 KiB | Viewed 2221 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:55 pm 

I was lucky, Halifax CT had the 22LR rimfire pellet trap on clearance sale and I picked that up. Added some duct seal and I'm good to over 150 FPE.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:04 pm 

Nice.. Got a Picture of it?

What is Duct seal?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:46 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Scotian wrote:

What is Duct seal?

Quote:
It seals around junction boxes, flashings and service entrances. Permanently soft, non-toxic compound can be painted immediately after application. Won't adversely affect other plastic materials or corrode metals.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: search.php?keywords=Duct+seal&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Duct Seal - 1Lb Pugs
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.duct ... 06595.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:02 am 

Scotian wrote:

What is Duct seal?

Insulates the back and makes it silent. Not cheap as it cost me $60 in duct seal to do mine which holds sheets of regular size printer card stock targets. Pellets stick in it. When I clean it just scrap the duct seal and some pellets fall out. Where the holes form from heavy hitting I cut a half of one and flatten it out and stick it over that area. No need to reduct seal the entire backing. In behind the duct seal is an old furnace door. I keep extra bars of duct seal around just in case. Being in my attic with massive heat the duct seals tend to want to fall. So I wedge a piece of cardboard infront to hold it in place. Even when cardboard is shot out their is enough left around the edges to hold duct seal in place. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:04 am 

Thank guys.... that stuff is almost like a rubberized Modeling Clay

I had Some left over Lexgard 3mm (Bullet proof Glass) so i used That

my layers are Coroplast,Cardboard,Lexgard and then i filled the back Cavity in with 2 old jean jackets

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:43 am 

Then I got a little Remington version with some duct seal down in the basement, that holds 6x6 targets. I really only use that to chrony and rough zero.

Still need to make a BB only trap.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:48 pm 

I now have over 1500 shots into the trap
The lexan is holding up very very well
No problems.... seems to be what I needed for indoor shooting

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:11 am 

Scotian wrote:

What is Duct seal?

For sealing leaking DUCT's - as in furnace cold air vents, etc. (or a leaking duck)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:30 pm 

I just picked some up at Rona. They had no idea what I was talking about and didn't think they had such stuff but I insisted it said it was in stock in their store on the website. Eventually, after wandering around the store with them showing me different products I convinced them to look it up on the computer and sure enough they had some. When I took five packages off the shelf their eyes bugged out, and the one guy said "what you going to use that for anyway?!" when I told them it was for a pellet trap they had such a look of disgust, like why were we helping this guy! Guess they aren't airgun fans, lol!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:15 pm 

Just finished my new pellet trap tonight. Used two cookie sheets together and another one on the bottom and then a cake pan with the bottom cut out for the front. Cork board and cardboard together for the sides and the back pans are covered in duct seal. Pretty crude but working great so far! A lot cheaper than buying one anyway. Cost me $17 for the duct seal which I would have had to buy anyway and $13 for the cookie sheets. The cake pan I took off a previous attempt at a trap, and the cork board was 3 or $4. So $16 or $17 for the trap plus the seal. Guess we'll see how it holds up!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:33 pm 

Lol, my apologies for sharing my crude job after your top notch ones. Yours looks super by the way Scotian! You could sell those easily. I'm sure some guys near you would be happy to buy one of those, I know I would sure be happy with one like that with the metal knock down animals and all!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:06 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Just finished my new pellet trap tonight. Used two cookie sheets together and another one on the bottom and then a cake pan with the bottom cut out for the front. Cork board and cardboard together for the sides and the back pans are covered in duct seal. Pretty crude but working great so far! A lot cheaper than buying one anyway. Cost me $17 for the duct seal which I would have had to buy anyway and $13 for the cookie sheets. The cake pan I took off a previous attempt at a trap, and the cork board was 3 or $4. So $16 or $17 for the trap plus the seal. Guess we'll see how it holds up!

Must be small cookie sheets. My pellet trap cost me $60 in duct seal. Full size computer printer paper with some extra all the way around. Wood with a furnace door for back plate. Wife thinks our new furnace looks funny now.

J/k about using our furnace door. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:37 pm 

Lol!! Yeah I should probably buy another bunch of it for a double layer. Nice and quiet right now, temporarily anyway.