Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Rebarrel job
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:26 pm
Posts: 46
Location: Edmonton
I'm looking for someone that can fit a lothar walther blank into my Evanix Rex, gun and blank are both 25 cal. Also maybe replace the broken cocking linkage (I'll supply) and strip and lightly relube internals.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebarrel job
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 am
Posts: 3264
Location: Edmonton
Ronan_357 wrote:
I'm looking for someone that can fit a lothar walther blank into my Evanix Rex, gun and blank are both 25 cal. Also maybe replace the broken cocking linkage (I'll supply) and strip and lightly relube internals.


It would help to know where you live. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebarrel job
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:26 pm
Posts: 46
Location: Edmonton
Edmonton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebarrel job
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:10 pm
Posts: 710
Location: Central BC
Curious to hear how you like the Rex. I didn't buy one as I'd read the accuracy was mediocre. Is that why you're looking to swap out the stock barrel, to hopefully improve accuracy?

_________________
Highlights -
Evanix Conquest
FAS6004, Legends MP40, Baikal Makarov, HW45 Black Star
Webley Junior, HW44,
Air Arms S200, Air Arms S510, Air Arms S400F, HW50s


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebarrel job
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:26 pm
Posts: 46
Location: Edmonton
fishguy wrote:
Curious to hear how you like the Rex. I didn't buy one as I'd read the accuracy was mediocre. Is that why you're looking to swap out the stock barrel, to hopefully improve accuracy?


I'm going to start with what may be considered a cop out answer, it's accurate for what it's intended for. It's not a precision rifle it's a hunting rifle, in the realm of powder burners it would be in the same class as lever action rifles in terms of accuracy.

I was talking with Boris from Air Venturi and he told me if I was getting 2" groups at 50m that's accurate, my best groups fell in 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" at 50m. Now the last time I had it at the range before the cocking linkage broke I was getting some very odd groups, shooting 19.91grn pellets the first two would hit about 1/2" away from each other the next two hit 3" high and left of centre but still ended up 1/2"-3/4" away from each other then the fifth hit maybe 1" away from centre by the first two. I've been talking with the few 25cal Rex owners on GTA and 1 (a pistol owner) had his cocking linkage broke and the other (a rifle owner) was suffering from wired velocity issues, which apparently resulted from over greasing of the bolt spring.

Also the other rifle owner was getting 3/4" groups at 50 yards with 26grn poly mags, while the pistol owner was getting what looks like 1-1/4"-1-1/2" at 25-30 yards but he doesn't say if he tries different pellets or not (he was using it to dispatch animals in traps I believe).

Now while I may be able to get it down to 3/4" groups without the new barrel on my own but I have a tendency to get ideas that I just have to see what happens.

The short answer is yes I hope to get better accuracy with a match barrel but I also just want to see what happens with it, someone needs to be the first and I tend to have more money then sense...

Having said all that I do like my Rex, I wanted something lightweight and could be easily transportable. The small tank sucks for shot count but I'm never far from my pump and I have to wait awhile between shots for the critters to calm down anyway. I liked the look of the Rex over Airforce. I want an FX Impact next though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebarrel job
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:10 pm
Posts: 710
Location: Central BC
Ronan_357 wrote:
fishguy wrote:
Curious to hear how you like the Rex. I didn't buy one as I'd read the accuracy was mediocre. Is that why you're looking to swap out the stock barrel, to hopefully improve accuracy?


I'm going to start with what may be considered a cop out answer, it's accurate for what it's intended for. It's not a precision rifle it's a hunting rifle, in the realm of powder burners it would be in the same class as lever action rifles in terms of accuracy.

I was talking with Boris from Air Venturi and he told me if I was getting 2" groups at 50m that's accurate, my best groups fell in 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" at 50m. Now the last time I had it at the range before the cocking linkage broke I was getting some very odd groups, shooting 19.91grn pellets the first two would hit about 1/2" away from each other the next two hit 3" high and left of centre but still ended up 1/2"-3/4" away from each other then the fifth hit maybe 1" away from centre by the first two. I've been talking with the few 25cal Rex owners on GTA and 1 (a pistol owner) had his cocking linkage broke and the other (a rifle owner) was suffering from wired velocity issues, which apparently resulted from over greasing of the bolt spring.

Also the other rifle owner was getting 3/4" groups at 50 yards with 26grn poly mags, while the pistol owner was getting what looks like 1-1/4"-1-1/2" at 25-30 yards but he doesn't say if he tries different pellets or not (he was using it to dispatch animals in traps I believe).

Now while I may be able to get it down to 3/4" groups without the new barrel on my own but I have a tendency to get ideas that I just have to see what happens.

The short answer is yes I hope to get better accuracy with a match barrel but I also just want to see what happens with it, someone needs to be the first and I tend to have more money then sense...

Having said all that I do like my Rex, I wanted something lightweight and could be easily transportable. The small tank sucks for shot count but I'm never far from my pump and I have to wait awhile between shots for the critters to calm down anyway. I liked the look of the Rex over Airforce. I want an FX Impact next though.


Thank you for your input. I'll be very interested to see if you can find a way to get a new barrel put on the Rex. Too bad about the linkage, that looks to be a very solidly built portion of the gun, but if there are others with the same failure that's a problem they should address. Good luck on the swap, let us know how it goes!

_________________
Highlights -
Evanix Conquest
FAS6004, Legends MP40, Baikal Makarov, HW45 Black Star
Webley Junior, HW44,
Air Arms S200, Air Arms S510, Air Arms S400F, HW50s


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebarrel job
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:26 pm
Posts: 46
Location: Edmonton
The linkage breaking was by the sounds of it a rarity but who really knows as there's not many out there or at least not many owners who are on the forums. By the sounds of things Evanix has been making changes as they go. As far as the barrel, well that will be a challenge if I can't find a good airgun smith to do it I'll try my regular gunsmith.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebarrel job
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 am
Posts: 3264
Location: Edmonton
Have a chat with Whitewolf (Kim) on this forum. He's in the Red Deer area, and may be able to help you.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO