Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Rebarrel job
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:03 am 

I'm looking for someone that can fit a lothar walther blank into my Evanix Rex, gun and blank are both 25 cal. Also maybe replace the broken cocking linkage (I'll supply) and strip and lightly relube internals.

Post subject: Re: Rebarrel job
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:27 pm 

Ronan_357 wrote:
I'm looking for someone that can fit a lothar walther blank into my Evanix Rex, gun and blank are both 25 cal. Also maybe replace the broken cocking linkage (I'll supply) and strip and lightly relube internals.

It would help to know where you live. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:25 pm 

Edmonton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:30 pm 

Curious to hear how you like the Rex. I didn't buy one as I'd read the accuracy was mediocre. Is that why you're looking to swap out the stock barrel, to hopefully improve accuracy?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:57 pm 

fishguy wrote:
Curious to hear how you like the Rex. I didn't buy one as I'd read the accuracy was mediocre. Is that why you're looking to swap out the stock barrel, to hopefully improve accuracy?

I'm going to start with what may be considered a cop out answer, it's accurate for what it's intended for. It's not a precision rifle it's a hunting rifle, in the realm of powder burners it would be in the same class as lever action rifles in terms of accuracy.

I was talking with Boris from Air Venturi and he told me if I was getting 2" groups at 50m that's accurate, my best groups fell in 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" at 50m. Now the last time I had it at the range before the cocking linkage broke I was getting some very odd groups, shooting 19.91grn pellets the first two would hit about 1/2" away from each other the next two hit 3" high and left of centre but still ended up 1/2"-3/4" away from each other then the fifth hit maybe 1" away from centre by the first two. I've been talking with the few 25cal Rex owners on GTA and 1 (a pistol owner) had his cocking linkage broke and the other (a rifle owner) was suffering from wired velocity issues, which apparently resulted from over greasing of the bolt spring.

Also the other rifle owner was getting 3/4" groups at 50 yards with 26grn poly mags, while the pistol owner was getting what looks like 1-1/4"-1-1/2" at 25-30 yards but he doesn't say if he tries different pellets or not (he was using it to dispatch animals in traps I believe).

Now while I may be able to get it down to 3/4" groups without the new barrel on my own but I have a tendency to get ideas that I just have to see what happens.

The short answer is yes I hope to get better accuracy with a match barrel but I also just want to see what happens with it, someone needs to be the first and I tend to have more money then sense...

Having said all that I do like my Rex, I wanted something lightweight and could be easily transportable. The small tank sucks for shot count but I'm never far from my pump and I have to wait awhile between shots for the critters to calm down anyway. I liked the look of the Rex over Airforce. I want an FX Impact next though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:00 am 

Ronan_357 wrote:
fishguy wrote:

I'm going to start with what may be considered a cop out answer, it's accurate for what it's intended for. It's not a precision rifle it's a hunting rifle, in the realm of powder burners it would be in the same class as lever action rifles in terms of accuracy.

I was talking with Boris from Air Venturi and he told me if I was getting 2" groups at 50m that's accurate, my best groups fell in 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" at 50m. Now the last time I had it at the range before the cocking linkage broke I was getting some very odd groups, shooting 19.91grn pellets the first two would hit about 1/2" away from each other the next two hit 3" high and left of centre but still ended up 1/2"-3/4" away from each other then the fifth hit maybe 1" away from centre by the first two. I've been talking with the few 25cal Rex owners on GTA and 1 (a pistol owner) had his cocking linkage broke and the other (a rifle owner) was suffering from wired velocity issues, which apparently resulted from over greasing of the bolt spring.

Also the other rifle owner was getting 3/4" groups at 50 yards with 26grn poly mags, while the pistol owner was getting what looks like 1-1/4"-1-1/2" at 25-30 yards but he doesn't say if he tries different pellets or not (he was using it to dispatch animals in traps I believe).

Now while I may be able to get it down to 3/4" groups without the new barrel on my own but I have a tendency to get ideas that I just have to see what happens.

The short answer is yes I hope to get better accuracy with a match barrel but I also just want to see what happens with it, someone needs to be the first and I tend to have more money then sense...

Having said all that I do like my Rex, I wanted something lightweight and could be easily transportable. The small tank sucks for shot count but I'm never far from my pump and I have to wait awhile between shots for the critters to calm down anyway. I liked the look of the Rex over Airforce. I want an FX Impact next though.

Thank you for your input. I'll be very interested to see if you can find a way to get a new barrel put on the Rex. Too bad about the linkage, that looks to be a very solidly built portion of the gun, but if there are others with the same failure that's a problem they should address. Good luck on the swap, let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:39 pm 

The linkage breaking was by the sounds of it a rarity but who really knows as there's not many out there or at least not many owners who are on the forums. By the sounds of things Evanix has been making changes as they go. As far as the barrel, well that will be a challenge if I can't find a good airgun smith to do it I'll try my regular gunsmith.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:44 pm 

Have a chat with Whitewolf (Kim) on this forum. He's in the Red Deer area, and may be able to help you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:44 pm 

I just saw this . I can help with this if still looking . Send me a PM .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:50 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Ronan_357 wrote:

It would help to know where you live. :roll:

yeah same place as you see his location :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:
sorry Murray couldn't help it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:13 am 

Well, Ace ol' buddy, when he posted this back in 2017 he had not yet entered his location,
which retro-updates all older posts.

:P :P :butthead: :P :P

Did I do that? :wink: