Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:34 pm 

I recently discovered bags of polyester pillow stuffing works great for low velocity pellets and BBs.
The stuff is a bit expensive if purchased retail but lots of used pillows in yard sales, rummage sales, etc can be had
for almost nothing. Cotton wad batting type stuffing doesn't have the same characteristics and I have not even tried
that yet.

I'm able to find all of the polyester stuffing I can use. A little of this stuff goes a long way.

I do not use the pillows intact because the pellets penetrate the pillow case. Also, the pillow is often larger than needed. These
polyester fibers really stop bbs and pellets. Normally, I am shooting at 4-5 pumps or my Disco at about 800 fps.

I hope this works out for others.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:38 am 

Plastic grocery bags do the trick just fine. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:33 pm 

Plastic grocery bags! I hadn't heard about or though of that!! Thanks for a good idea that will
really work for me! I have not tried it yet but I definitely will.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:41 pm 

Thanks as well, just stuffed a bunch in my trap after reading that.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:54 pm 

I thought the plastic bags would work. Don't know how that escaped me since I have them around to dispose of... :oops:

Anyway, I gave them a good try with about a hundred rounds and they work great! I was (am) shooting at relatively low fps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:25 pm 

My trap is full with rubber mulch. Home depot sells a big bag for $10. Will last you years and years. I fill my trap once a year maybe. I go through about 20,000 pellets in a year, .177 .22 and .25 cal.

Biagio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:58 am 

Try stuffing a bunch of old sheets, not folded, but ruffled up, and back them with a pillow, then stuff that in a T-shirt.

Works like a champ! Until you start hitting embedded pellets, gets a bit louder then. Ive put like 1500 pellets into my cotton bundle so far so good!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:49 pm 

I will stick with Duct Seal. I use a paint scrapper to get them out and then a pair of tweezers sometimes to pull the rest of them. Then I put backstop on floor and flatten it back out with my shoe (with my foot in it). I shoot at least 1500 pellets every single week. Been shooting into same backstop for 8 months now and still as good as new. Shooting in the house I want to be certain with a heavy steel plate in behind the duct seal. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:36 am 

Large heavy plastic and fiberglass reinforced bags - or cardboard boxes stuffed FULL with grocery bags ALSO make wonderful arrow stoppers.

We use cardboard boxes stuffed with plastic bags as arrow stops for indoor shooting at 20 meters in the archery club. The centre is cut out

round, and before taping on a new target, fluff the plastic bags a bit - then they are ready for another 30 arrows, long bows, recurves or any power compounds.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:03 am 

This works.
topic77688.html
underlay and plasta ......
Needless to say. I shoot in my basement without a problem.

Attachments:
IMG_3749 resized.jpg
IMG_3749 resized.jpg [ 221.67 KiB | Viewed 3334 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:42 pm 

I have been using a wooden box and with a combination of spray adhesive and staples I attach layers of denim and old work shirts to the back. Not silent, but pretty quiet and cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:36 am 

Plastic garbage bags work just fine for just about any velocity and a ressonable distance. It's an old archer's trick; they shoot hunting arrows at them at 250 fps and the arrow cannot penetrate 12 inches of sorta tightly packed bags. Don't pack so tightly that it acts as a solid mass.

That's science at work: deflection of energy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:46 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
I will stick with Duct Seal. I use a paint scrapper to get them out and then a pair of tweezers sometimes to pull the rest of them. Then I put backstop on floor and flatten it back out with my shoe (with my foot in it). I shoot at least 1500 pellets every single week. Been shooting into same backstop for 8 months now and still as good as new. Shooting in the house I want to be certain with a heavy steel plate in behind the duct seal. CHEERS!

I am with you dude been shooting same batch of duck seal in 10"film reel can since 2002 and works no mess no fuss. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:04 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Plastic garbage bags work just fine for just about any velocity and a ressonable distance. It's an old archer's trick; they shoot hunting arrows at them at 250 fps and the arrow cannot penetrate 12 inches of sorta tightly packed bags. Don't pack so tightly that it acts as a solid mass.

That's science at work: deflection of energy.

This works for me. I use a small pizza box filled with plastic bags (kitty litter/de-icing salt bags) wrapped with some duct tape, and then scotch tape my targets to both sides of the box. Works great with my pistols @ 10 yards and pellets will not penetrate the back side. When box starts to get shot up, just apply another couple of wraps of duct tape and good to go again.

I use a more square box filled with the same bags for my more powerful air rifles @ 20/30 yard ranges with similar good results.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:55 pm 

I had a bunch of moving blankets left over from a recent reno and just use one of those stuffed in a cardboard box. Not good for pellets though. Don't try that.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk