Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:11 am 

Attachment:
IMG_7852.JPG
IMG_7852.JPG [ 602.27 KiB | Viewed 4481 times ]
What was missing from my pistol and revolver collection was a pellet pistol with blowback action. All the blowback guns in my collection are BB shooters and I've been yearning for a pellet version with the blowback feature. Originally, I was going to purchase the Beretta PX4 Storm, but I accidentally stumbled upon some YouTube videos featuring the Umarex SA10. Immediately, I was fascinated by the aesthetics of this plinking-fun gun. Seeing the polished gold coloured barrel through the cutaways on the slide gave it a really unique & custom look. Moreover, there were texturing & serrations all along the slide. After perusing some articles, info, and videos on this specific model, I decided to buy it at Ark Army Surplus as they had it listed at $139.99. It was sealed in a transparent, plastic type wrap versus a box that they are normally stocked in. Inside, there was a cleaning rod included with the CO2 mag and 4 rotary (8 shot) mags. 3 rotary mags have a metal gear in the centre and they are used for the pellets. The 4th mag has a plastic gear and it's used for the BB's.

When I took it out of the casing, I was impressed by the hefty weight & feel. The stippling around the grip gave it a nice feel and hold. The slide is full metal and the grips/receiver are polymer/plastic. There's a threaded muzzle for a compensator. The under the muzzle Picatinny rail is useful for adding a laser or light in the future.

The CO2 magazine for this pistol has a unique set-up where you can house 3 rotary mags. In the storage/housing area, there are built in protruding tips where you can seat the pellets further into the rotary mags when you snap the rotary mags in place for storage. This was a great selling feature as I normally seat the pellets on my pellet revolvers. This can get quite monotonous if you are constantly pushing each individual pellet in. The SA10 CO2 mag solves this problem by seating all 8 pellets in the rotary mag with 1 push.

My initial reaction to the blowback after the first 3 shots was impressive as it had some kick; reminiscent to my KWC Sig Sauer X-Five P226.

The trigger pull was long(due to the indexing format of the rotary mag), but light.

As for the CO2 cartridge, you'll get about 50 shots. I noticed my shots dipped after the 40th shot and the blowback wasn't as responsive. The point of impact on my targets were hitting towards the left at approximately 7 yards. It would be great if the rear sights were adjustable for windage.

I tested the SA10 with 5 different pellets at 7 Yards( RWS Superdomes, RWS R10 Match 7Gr, RWS R10 Match 8.2 Gr, JSB Exact Diabolo 8.44Gr, JSB Match Diabolo 7.72Gr). 4 shot groups were taken from a seated and rested position. I was rather surprised to see groups under an inch as I was expecting to see groups just over an inch at that distance. For a plinking gun, I'm quite happy with the accuracy as I recorded .62" to .94" groups with the 4 pellets shown on the picture attached. The RWS Superdomes registered a dismal 1.5" grouping. This barrel seems to favor the JSB Exact Diabolo 8.44gr pellets. I'll take some more shots with this pistol on the weekend at 10, 15, and 20 yards to see how they group.

Here are some specifications for the Umarex SA10:

Cal: 0.177

Velocity: listed as 420 fps, but the video reviews had it tested and their results were closer to 350 to 380 fps for 7 to 8 gr. pellets.

Barrel: Rifled

Barrel Length: 5 Inches

Overall Length: 9.25 Inches

Action: Semiautomatic

Weight: 2.05 lbs

Rear Sight: Fixed

Safety: Manual

Loudness: 95 to 98 dB

PROS: Good accuracy for a plinker
Custom styling
Pellet seating storage area on the CO2 magazine
Extra rotary mags
Solid blowback action

CONS: Fixed rear sight

Attachments:
IMG_7859.JPG
IMG_7859.JPG [ 466.77 KiB | Viewed 4481 times ]
IMG_7860.JPG
IMG_7860.JPG [ 667.75 KiB | Viewed 4481 times ]

Megiddo65

Last edited by megiddo65 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:21 am 

megiddo65 wrote:
Attachment:
The attachment IMG_7852.JPG is no longer available
What was missing in my pistol and revolver collection was a pellet pistol with blowback action. All the blowback guns in my collection are BB shooters and I've been yearning for a pellet version with the blowback feature. Originally, I was going to purchase the Beretta PX4 Storm, but I accidentally stumbled upon some YouTube videos featuring the Umarex SA10. Immediately, I was fascinated by the aesthetics of this plinking-fun gun. Seeing the polished gold coloured barrel through the cutaways on the slide gave it a really unique & custom look. Moreover, there were texturing & serrations all along the slide. After perusing some articles, info, and videos on this specific model, I decided to buy it at Ark Army Surplus as they had it listed at $139.99. It was sealed in a transparent, plastic type wrap versus a box that they are normally stocked in. Inside, there was a cleaning rod included with the CO2 mag and 4 rotary (8 shot) mags. 3 rotary mags have a metal gear in the centre and they are used for the pellets. The 4th mag has a plastic gear and it's used for the BB's.

When I took it out of the casing, I was impressed by the hefty weight & feel. The stippling around the grip gave it a nice feel and hold. The slide is full metal and the grips/receiver are polymer/plastic. There's a threaded muzzle for a compensator. The under the muzzle Picatinny rail is useful for adding a laser or light in the future.

The CO2 magazine for this pistol has a unique set-up where you can house 3 rotary mags. In the storage/housing area, there are built in protruding tips where you can seat the pellets further into the rotary mags when you snap the rotary mags in place for storage. This was a great selling feature as I normally seat the pellets on my pellet revolvers. This can get quite monotonous if you are constantly pushing each individual pellet in. The SA10 CO2 mag solves this problem by seating all 8 pellets in the rotary mag with 1 push.

My initial reaction to the blowback after the first 3 shots was impressive as it had some kick; reminiscent to my KWC Sig Sauer X-Five P226.

The trigger pull was long(due to the indexing format of the rotary mag), but light.

As for the CO2 cartridge, you'll get about 50 shots. I noticed my shots dipped after the 40th shot and the blowback wasn't as responsive. The point of impact on my targets were hitting towards the left at approximately 7 yards. It would be great if the rear sights were adjustable for windage.

I tested the SA10 with 5 different pellets at 7 Yards( RWS Superdomes, RWS R10 Match 7Gr, RWS R10 Match 8.2 Gr, JSB Exact Diabolo 8.44Gr, JSB Match Diabolo 7.72Gr). 4 shot groups were taken from a seated and rested position. I was rather surprised to see groups under an inch as I was expecting to see groups just over an inch at that distance. For a plinking gun, I'm quite happy with the accuracy as I recorded .62" to .94" groups with the 4 pellets shown on the picture attached. The RWS Superdomes registered a dismal 1.5" grouping. This barrel seems to favor the JSB Exact Diabolo 8.44gr pellets. I'll take some more shots with this pistol on the weekend at 10, 15, and 20 yards to see how they group.

Here are some specifications for the Umarex SA10:

Cal: 0.177

Velocity: listed as 420 fps, but the video reviews had it tested and their results were closer to 350 to 380 fps for 7 to 8 gr. pellets.

Barrel: Rifled

Barrel Length: 5 Inches

Overall Length: 9.25 Inches

Action: Semiautomatic

Weight: 2.05 lbs

Rear Sight: Fixed

Safety: Manual

Loudness: 95 to 98 dB

PROS: Good accuracy for a plinker
Custom styling
Pellet seating storage area on the CO2 magazine
Extra rotary mags
Solid blowback action

CONS: Fixed rear sight

Attachments:
IMG_7861.JPG
IMG_7861.JPG [ 408.04 KiB | Viewed 4478 times ]
IMG_7853.JPG
IMG_7853.JPG [ 714.52 KiB | Viewed 4478 times ]
IMG_7855.JPG
IMG_7855.JPG [ 242.49 KiB | Viewed 4478 times ]

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:24 am 

Nice review - nice pistol...

8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:41 am 

SA10- Luv It!
Nice review!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:18 pm 

Great review. Looks and sounds like a keeper.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:12 am 

Very nice review 8) , I had my eye's on that one for a while :shock: but the rotary mag is not necessaraly my prefered :? . But it does have a look that I like, different, maybe except for the thread in front of the barrel. Only the fund's :( are not at the rendez-vous.

Maybe later :?: :?: :?:

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:44 am 

silentman wrote:
Very nice review 8) , I had my eye's on that one for a while :shock: but the rotary mag is not necessaraly my prefered :? . But it does have a look that I like, different, maybe except for the thread in front of the barrel. Only the fund's :( are not at the rendez-vous.

Which C02 Pellet guns do not use a rotary mag?
Threaded muzzle tip can be removed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:12 pm 

Thank-you all for reading/viewing my review and the positive comments! The more I shoot this model, the more I'm loving it. I'll give it another twirl tomorrow at the Range to see how it shoots off hand at 10, 15, and 20 Yards. I'm not expecting match/target grade groupings. Just want to see how it compares to my Vigilante at those distances.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:17 pm 

silentman wrote:

Yep! The look caught my attention immediately and after seeing the magazine and it's special storage feature, I was instantly hooked. Hopefully one day it'll make your "Wish List!"

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:20 pm 

megiddo65 wrote:
silentman wrote:

Yep! The look caught my attention immediately and after seeing the magazine and it's special storage feature, I was instantly hooked. Hopefully one day it'll make your "Wish List!"

2 thing's is stopping me, fund and WIFI (read wife) :| maybe later

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:22 pm 

megiddo65 wrote:
... The more I shoot this model, the more I'm loving it. ...

You did well in not choosing the Beretta Px4 Storm. You wouldn't be so pleased with it. It's the worst shooter I have ever had!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:31 pm 

Esterel01 wrote:
megiddo65 wrote:
... The more I shoot this model, the more I'm loving it. ...

You did well in not choosing the Beretta Px4 Storm. You wouldn't be so pleased with it. It's the worst shooter I have ever had!

Yeah, after seeing Michael Kaye's(Replica Airgun) shooting review. I wasn't too thrilled with the groupings at 30 feet. I'm not particularly fond of the way the CO2 cartridge loads into the grip as well.

Megiddo65