Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:37 am 

Watertown wrote:
There has been much discussion on the forum regarding the word "or" versus the word "and". There is an old saying "be careful what you ask for, you just might get it". Currently we can shoot any weight pellet as long as we stay below 500 fps. In the UK a lot of people shoot .177 to stay under the energy law.

That's a misnomer, I thought that initially too. If the gun is designed to shoot over 500/4.2 it requires a PAL, if you have a PAL rated gun but shoot heavy weight pellet to keep it below the 500 it matters not. The RCMP will go by what the gun is designed to produce. We either need to raise the allowable FPE limit and disregard speed, or have a .25 cal 500FPS rifle designed for Canada.

Why 12ft/lb would be better is that you can shoot .177 and still have decent speed and a flatter trajectory for plinking etc.

850FPS .177 is non-FAC in UK
501FPS .177 is PAL rated in Canada.
7.4 grain

610FPS .22 is under 12ft.lbs
14.3 grain

Even if you use a heavy .22 pellet to keep it under 500 you'll be over with light pellets (what it was designed for)

See the problem>?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:38 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
I sent PM. What you have so far is great

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks, keep them coming guys just need a few more like minded people. Just PM me first and last name and email address.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:58 pm 

did you open a partition?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:35 pm 

Glem Chally wrote:

"ALL airguns are firearms. The ones below the threshold are exempt from some of the faster shooting regulations. The RCMP was not feeding you BS."

Direct from the RCMP site. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... ir-eng.htm

1. Air guns that are firearms for purposes of both the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code

These are air guns with both a high muzzle velocity (greater than 152.4 metres or 500 feet per second) and a high muzzle energy (greater than 5.7 joules or 4.2 foot-pounds).

Anything else?

Ya, this...

https://nfa.ca/supreme-court-of-canada- ... -firearms/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:49 pm 

Seems strange that the RCMP haven't updated their website to include this information. Could the NFA be purposely interpreting the ruling in the most negative way it can be interpreted in order to drum up more funds to advocate for legislation? Not that that is a bad thing. It looks like this is a terrible ruling by the supreme Court and new legislation is needed. Just think that the RCMP can't very well treat airguns in the manner described without any warnings or changes to their own definitions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:33 pm 

This decision applies to all air guns that are capable of causing serious bodily injury or death. Most courts have found that any air gun with a velocity of more than 214 feet-per-second meets this threshold. The vast majority of air guns sold across the country are capable of such a velocity.

The president of my gun club said they came up with this figure by shooting a pigs eye and found this velocity to do damage to the eye, hence the velocity for the ruling.

Very stupid I know.

Look at the push to ban, tax and what ever in the USA. Those commies want all gun ownership to desist and I'm sure there are some back room agendas being formulated for us here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:00 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Seems strange that the RCMP haven't updated their website to include this information. Could the NFA be purposely interpreting the ruling in the most negative way it can be interpreted in order to drum up more funds to advocate for legislation? Not that that is a bad thing. It looks like this is a terrible ruling by the supreme Court and new legislation is needed. Just think that the RCMP can't very well treat airguns in the manner described without any warnings or changes to their own definitions.

The legislation is there. Not new. Has been there for a long time. READ.

Start here... http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... ir-eng.htm

Not that I promote the RCMP site as law but it seems people are to lazy to actually read the firearms act and the Canadian criminal code themselves.

BTW, I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:50 pm 

Yeah exactly, it starts right here.

"1. Air guns that are firearms for purposes of both the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code

These are air guns with both a high muzzle velocity (greater than 152.4 metres or 500 feet per second) and a high muzzle energy (greater than 5.7 joules or 4.2 foot-pounds)."

Maybe you aren't familiar with the word "both"?

Last edited by Glem Chally on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:54 pm 

AirForceAddict wrote:
Glem Chally wrote:

"ALL airguns are firearms. The ones below the threshold are exempt from some of the faster shooting regulations. The RCMP was not feeding you BS."

Direct from the RCMP site. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... ir-eng.htm

1. Air guns that are firearms for purposes of both the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code

These are air guns with both a high muzzle velocity (greater than 152.4 metres or 500 feet per second) and a high muzzle energy (greater than 5.7 joules or 4.2 foot-pounds).

Anything else?

Ya, this...

https://nfa.ca/supreme-court-of-canada- ... -firearms/

"finding that most air guns are considered “firearms” for all purposes in the Criminal Code except for licensing and registration.

The Court affirmed the previous decision of the Ontario Court of Appeal, which itself had overruled a decade of its own jurisprudence in finding that air guns are “firearms”. Prior to this case, the courts had held that air guns are not treated as “firearms” unless they are used for some offensive or unlawful purpose."

All this means is that if you commit a crime with an airgun that it will be treated as committing a crime with a powderburner.

Again MOST airguns are CONSIDERED "firearms" (their words and quotes). Big difference from ALL AIRGUNS ARE FIREARMS.

Keep trying AirforceAddict.

Last edited by Glem Chally on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:56 pm 

Ausername wrote:
did you open a partition?

Still need 1-2 more Sponsors, PM me with first and last name and email if you want in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:16 pm 

AirForceAddict wrote:
It's way easier to just get a PAL.

You'll also need to petition to change the hunting regs with your proposal.

You can't hunt without a hunting license, and you can't get a hunting license without a firearms license (PAL).

BTW, you need to be more informed, ALL airguns are firearms. The ones below the threshold are exempt from some of the faster shooting regulations. The RCMP was not feeding you BS.

Big mouth forgot about his earlier misinformation that I stomped on.

"You'll also need a petition to change the hunting regs with your proposal." bs, one has nothing to do with another.
"You can't hunt without a hunting license, and you can't get a hunting license without a firearms license (PAL).

Schedule "C" animals can be captured or killed anywhere and at any time in BC. Schedule "C" birds may be hunted using electronic calls. You do not need a hunting licence to hunt or kill the following Schedule "C" wildlife
(a) Rana catesbeiana - American bullfrog
(b) Rana clamitans - green frog
(c) all species of the family Chelydridae - snapping turtles
(d) Didelphis virginiana - North American opossum
(e) Sylvilagus floridanus - eastern cottontail
(f) Oryctolagus cuniculus - European rabbit
(g) Myocastor coypus - nutria
(h) all species of the genus Sciurus - gray squirrels and fox squirrels
(i) Passer domesticus - house sparrow
(j) Sturnus vulgaris - European starling
(k) Columbia livia - rock dove (domestic pigeon)

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/lower-mainland ... _lists.htm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:21 am 

If you have a municipal law against shooting that likely includes guns that are not firearms as well, or bows, slingshots etc. Do you know this to NOT be the case with your muni regs? That is the way it is in every municipal bylaw I have read and yes I have actually spent a decent of amount time researching and readings these; as it completely dictated where I would moved to. I am guessing you have checked this, but if not; you may be in for a surprise.

Last edited by jgoodz420 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:40 am 

Glem Chally wrote:

What's with the name calling of other members here? You've been on the forum here for a whole three days and you're starting off by insulting members? I don't think you'd get much support for anything you're promoting with an attitude like that. Keep it cool dude...

Last edited by Sonic on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:51 am 

Sonic wrote:
Glem Chally wrote:

What's with the name calling of other members here? I don't think you'd get much support for anything you're promoting with an attitude like that. Keep it cool dude...

This is true...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:52 am 

Fair enough I was rude and annoyed. I despise condescending people, I though maybe the airgun community would like to see our limits raised from 4.2ft/lb I get told to get my PAL which I have. Get told you can't hunt without a PAL and that they'll need to change the hunting regs (both untrue).

Then get told to do some research on points he's wrong about, then get told to quit being so lazy and READ after proving him wrong. Yeah I know "big-mouth" is really harsh wording, anyways I won't be needing the support of forum members.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next