Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:11 am 

It's Friday. Figured I'd talk about something that has been discussed countless times in the past.

Scenario: I have a Crossman 1077 I got on sale for $69.99 at ct a few years ago. At that time I mounted a utg 3x9 bugbuster and life was good. A year or so ago I picked up a daisy 953 and I transferred the bug buster over and life was better. Present time I find myself wanting to shoot the 1077 at times in my basement range (15m) for knockdown targets. It's accurate enough once you get a feel for the awful trigger and not having to load, cock, or pump for 12 shots is great.

Decision. I can still get another bug busters for around $130cdn. Just not from amazon anymore. I'm very interested in picking up a hawke airmax but I would put that on the 953 and transfer the bb back to the 1077. I'm not convinced rio rand or the other cheap options are adequate but it is for a "cheap" airgun.

Budget really doesn't matter but I must get value. Opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:55 pm 

Opinions? Since you asked :wink:

If your air rifle is capable of consistently good groups, get the best scope you can afford, and be done with it,

I'm not really a fan of UTG, or other bargain priced scopes. The optical quality leaves a lot to be desired. I do have a couple of 79.00 Simmons scopes on plinker grade rifles~ but I would really hesitate to hunt with them.

I have a 400.00+ Vortex on what started out as an air-master 77 and progressed by personal build into a medium powered tack-driver. I caught that A/M 77 on sale somewhere for a shade under 60.00 :mrgreen:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:40 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I have a 400.00+ Vortex on what started out as an air-master 77 and progressed by personal build into a medium powered tack-driver. I caught that A/M 77 on sale somewhere for a shade under 60.00 :mrgreen:

-D.S.

I'm glad you mentioned it. I had thrown around the idea of mounting a viper pro destined for a fx streamline. The 1077 is not a tack driver but the 953 is reasonably accurate. In the end I just don't want to remount the scope once the streamline comes in but your advice to get the best glass I can afford is the right decision. I found the utg good however I prefer thinner lines on the reticle. The BB will go back to the 1077 and the 953 will receive a Hawke of some variant.

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:20 pm 

I know its a piece of junk, but the CT centerpoint gets the job done for close range, indoors, well lit, fun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:42 pm 

FarmerDanz wrote:
I know its a piece of junk, but the CT centerpoint gets the job done for close range, indoors, well lit, fun.

Probably good enough for my basement range but I'd rather spend a few more $$ and get the next step up or two. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:29 pm 

I've been very happy with all of the UTG/ Leapers scopes I've used. I definitely have no complaints about the quality of glass on them, especially considering the price. The wire reticles are a little thicker than what you'll find on a Hawke, but they're still fine for general purpose shooting. You can't go wrong with the UTG 3-12x44 SWAT.

Crosman 357
Diana model 2
Hatsan AT44
Schofield No.3
Berreta PX4