Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: My project. .50 cal.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:21 pm 

Ace wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
They do make some high pressure regs. ASA or a tank block would be much more simple. I bought a 13 ci HPA tank that was refurbished for 60$ had a 850 PSI reg on it, fill probe, burst disk and gauge. Then I wanted to run higher pressure and bought a 1200 PSI reg for like 25$.

that would make much more sense.... 8)
only thing is how far back will the bottle be after attaching an ASA and leaving the reg on..
i think it should be fine and still be a decent check rest...

He would probably have to shorten the back. Maybe attach it to the non threaded section.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:54 pm 

The cool thing is the trigger isn't even finalized yet. So there are options.

I guess this has made it apparent its time to make an effort to get a tank with a regulator on it, and see how it all fits and sits before I go any farther. Even if the ergonomics are a bit out, its my first ever shot at something like this so its hard to be disappointed with how its come so far.

Its pretty easy to make a new "tank to valve" assembly, its just two bolts and 1" solid steel stock and a trip to the lathe and tig.

Thanks for all the good feedback everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:03 pm 

JMO....not near enough volume before the valve to consider using a regulator....maybe with .22, but not with .50cal.

JMO...

Al

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:33 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
JMO....not near enough volume before the valve to consider using a regulator....maybe with .22, but not with .50cal.

JMO...

Al

I could make a pre chamber if I have to redesign the coupler section. I love this place, so many good ideas.

Plus, regulated seems like less fun!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:05 am 

The air flowing through a regulator flows through a tiny hole (about 1 mm).... so the only air that is available to produce the shot is that downstream of the regulator.... Ideally, you want about 1 cc of volume for every FPE you want the gun to produce.... and 1/2 cc per FPE is the practical minimum.... If the volume is smaller than that, the pressure drop during the shot cycle is too great, and you have to compensate by increasing the setpoint of the regulator.... and efficiency suffers.... A .50 cal would require a huge plenum, you may not find that practical with your basic layout....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:46 pm 

rsterne wrote:
The air flowing through a regulator flows through a tiny hole (about 1 mm).... so the only air that is available to produce the shot is that downstream of the regulator.... Ideally, you want about 1 cc of volume for every FPE you want the gun to produce.... and 1/2 cc per FPE is the practical minimum.... If the volume is smaller than that, the pressure drop during the shot cycle is too great, and you have to compensate by increasing the setpoint of the regulator.... and efficiency suffers.... A .50 cal would require a huge plenum, you may not find that practical with your basic layout....

Bob

I can see I will be PM'ing you in the future when guidance is required. Thanks so much for the insight. Everything you said passes the logic test.

Just a little update on the fifty... I have decided to wait until my PAL arrives in the mail before I add the trigger and install a working valve. I just want to play it safe. No need to cause any trouble for myself just to have a little fun!

Still on the look out for a 13ci HPA tank if anyone in the lower mainland has a line on one drop me a PM! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:59 pm 

FarmerDanz wrote:
[
Still on the look out for a 13ci HPA tank if anyone in the lower mainland has a line on one drop me a PM! :)

check your area on kijiji or your local paintball shop if you have any near you...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:26 pm 

I am lucky, we have Badlands shop a few minutes drive from my place. I will probably pop in there next weekend. 8)