Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:59 am 

I have yet to purchase my AA or FX pcp air rifle ... There are several tempting models, but I have not yet decided which one.

The rifle, of course is the main decision to make, but then one needs the accompanying gear to make it function.... an air source is required, so

Hand Pumps .. Looks like quite a workout to charge an air rifle, but likely the simplest (mind you they are not cheap)

Scuba tanks ,,, I have been told that this is not necessarily the way to go... Still not sure why, as some can be filed to 4500psi (and used tanks can be quite cheap)

Carbon fibre bottles ?? compact to carry around, but again these look quite costly (aren't these essentially a small scuba tank with different fittings?)

Are there any other choices? What do you use or suggest?

Thanks again for your input ...

Lucky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:46 am 

Quote:
Looks like quite a workout to charge an air rifle, but likely the simplest

Not necessarily a bad thing, physical activity works best when you're doing it for a good cause, so why not?

You can also make it easier by simply topping off your rifle after a few shots as opposed to nearly emptying it and having to start from low pressure.

Quote:
mind you they are not cheap

I recently got a cheap-o (sub $100 delivered) three stage Chinese model from eBay, I haven't had it long enough to comment on its longevity but it seems to be very well put together and even has a liquid cooling jacket to stop it from getting too hot, I have high hopes for it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:57 am 

Im building a motorized hand pump.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:16 am 

leadslinger wrote:

Something like the FX?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:44 am 

PZAM wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

Something like the FX?

Yeah something like that but with a gear box.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:45 am 

Very interesting. Would be a fun project. If you don't have the supplies on hand it may be more costly than a prebuilt solution.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:47 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Very interesting. Would be a fun project. If you don't have the supplies on hand it may be more costly than a prebuilt solution.

not practical at all unless you intend to shoot at home only....
scuba tank is the way to go by far...smaller carbon tanks are good only because there size and portability
but you'l get way more fills from a scuba tank....just from that makes it the #1 choice IMO 8) :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:03 pm 

Ace wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:

not practical at all unless you intend to shoot at home only....
scuba tank is the way to go by far...smaller carbon tanks are good only because there size and portability
but you'l get way more fills from a scuba tank....just from that makes it the #1 choice IMO 8) :wink:

100M range in the back yard and a scuba, and several smaller HPA tanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:08 pm 

Definitely scuba tank. Having a pump at home for the scuba or hpa tank. Not the pcp itself. Saves a trip to the paintball field or scuba shop for a fill.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:05 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Definitely scuba tank. Having a pump at home for the scuba or hpa tank. Not the pcp itself. Saves a trip to the paintball field or scuba shop for a fill.

Did you buy a used scuba tank??? I am seeing some locally for around $100.00 but they are only good for so many years before needing new valves and inspections?

I'll be near my vehicle where I'm shooting so the size/weight won't be a problem... plus there are a few dive shops around to fill it!

Spending less on my air source will give me more to purchase my rifle! :mrgreen:

Just been looking at the new FX Crown .. but it has a built in moderator so likely won't be available in Canada :(

enjoying this forum very much

Lucky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:48 pm 

There's at least two places in Alberta that sell used scba tanks. I bought one a little over a year ago from there after a lot of searching for a place to buy in Canada. The Airguns you mentioned wouldn't do very good with a scuba tank. The 4500 psi scba tank will give you many more fills especially on Airguns that fill over 3000 psi.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:04 pm 

hunter01 wrote:
There's at least two places in Alberta that sell used scba tanks. I bought one a little over a year ago from there after a lot of searching for a place to buy in Canada. The Airguns you mentioned wouldn't do very good with a scuba tank. The 4500 psi scba tank will give you many more fills especially on Airguns that fill over 3000 psi.

INDEED

I have got that one figured.. Tank has to be 4500psi , as a 3000 would only fill to max pressure once!

But I am guessing that a 4500 PSI tank would give many fills.

My most likely purchase will be an FX Streamline or an AA 510 FAC ($1300.00 Cdn range)

cheers

Lucky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:46 pm 

I now rent a 200 pound Nitrogen tank, for filling my 2 Carbon Fiber 97CuFt. tanks and one 60CuFt. Scuba tank.

The local paint-ball store overcharges for filling tanks now. They went from $5.00 for my steel 60 CF Scuba tank to $30.00.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:00 pm 

LuckyStrike wrote:
Did you buy a used scuba tank??? I am seeing some locally for around $100.00 but they are only good for so many years before needing new valves and inspections?

I'll be near my vehicle where I'm shooting so the size/weight won't be a problem... plus there are a few dive shops around to fill it!

No, I did not buy a used scuba tank. I already have tanks from my paintballing years however I will be purchasing a medium capacity tank for the range and a large capacity for home. $100 seems pretty good to me as long as they are rated to 4500 psi. Most are 3000 psi. Getting re-hydro'd is not a big deal, maybe $50 or so, but I would rather get a tank in good condition with a current hydro date.

LuckyStrike wrote:
Spending less on my air source will give me more to purchase my rifle! :mrgreen:

Just been looking at the new FX Crown .. but it has a built in moderator so likely won't be available in Canada :(

enjoying this forum very much

Lucky

A crown is ~1800 usd. Would deserve equally as good optics. Affording the air source should not be a concern at this point. Just like the impact we will get Canadian versions of the crown. We better. Just take my money dammit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:01 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I now rent a 200 pound Nitrogen tank, for filling my 2 Carbon Fiber 97CuFt. tanks and one 60CuFt. Scuba tank.

The local paint-ball store overcharges for filling tanks now. They went from $5.00 for my steel 60 CF Scuba tank to $30.00.

Um what? $30 to fill a tank? They should be ashamed of themselves.