Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:34 pm 

Hey Joolz. Grandkids are better because they go back home! "You gotta go now, grandpa needs a nap!" :lol:

Think you will find a full power spring will be a brute to shoot. 650 -700FPS seems to be the magic spot for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:33 pm 

15 months in and baby still wake us up every 3 hours. Our first two boys slept through the night when they became 6m old. For some reason the girl - as lovely as she is - is intent in making our lives miserable.

Suppose the pay off comes when they have kids and we get to play with them for a few hours. Then wave goodbye and off to bed for a full night's sleep. Man, how I miss sleeping. Can't recall the last time I had a full night's sleep.

Reading the knowledgeable advice on this forum I concur that full power isn't a good thing. It would seem that around 650 to 750 to be the sweet spot for a 4.5mm pellet. And that's what I hope to achieve when I finally replace the spring in this Air Hawk. Maybe a bit less when I do the same with the 5.5mm cal Phantom. I do plan to enjoy modding my guns - whenever little girl allows me to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:21 pm 

Woody wrote:
They worked for me. Where did you get your Diana spring from?

I bought a Vortek "docile" spring for a Diana 34. It didn't fit the stock Ruger guide, so I made a new steel guide.
The Vortek site has springs specifically for the Ruger now. Check out their website.
The docile spring makes the gun a very sweet shooter at about 13 fpe.
I bought it several years ago after the original broke and I couldn't find a stock spring in Canada.
Vortek springs get pricey with shipping to Canada. Are they worth double the price? I don't think so. If this spring breaks, I'll replace it with a stock spring.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:54 pm 

One thing I have been noticing, in the reviews I see the term "accurate" come up often. Just how accurate is the gun in stock form on average? My surge is not what I would call accurate. If I get a 5 shot dime sized group at 10m I'm quiet pleased. Unfortunately that is not the norm. 1 1/2 " groups give or take. It's in pieces now getting ready for a tune. A $99 air hawk will nicely fill the gap while I await parts.

ok Joolz. You got me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:46 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
ok Joolz. You got me.

Yes, my middle is Enablerzinsky.
But before you take out the credit card consider my responses to your thread where I mentioned using the 953 after a session with the Air Hawk. At first I couldn't get anywhere near acceptable groupings. So if dime sized at 10m is your plan with the Air Hawk, I suggest you keep that 953 handy and just for extra insurance, the 1077 too.

This gun truly didn't appeal to me at first. Was taken by the unnatural weight of it. Ever handled a WW1 bolt action rifle? One would think such old technology that used real steel would be heavy - but compared to an Air Hawk you'd think they used fancy composites back then. Then there's the harsh twang. Nothing that a Chevota treatment wouldn't address but back then I only tried it in stock form. Was really angry that I could get decent groups with the smaller cousin Explorer (same fps) and the AH was all over the place. Wasn't till I after I learned to master the art of the artillery hold that things improved a bit. To this day it hasn't been broken in, fired less than 150 pellets since it arrived 2 years ago. But right out of the box don't expect miracles. Do keep your sanity by having the 953 handy. Several times I wanted to return the rifle (after the initial reaction to toss it into the back alley). But the 953 calmed me down enough to see the rifle live another day. I do suspect after some love and a nicer spring that it will be a winner. Just gotta get used to the ridiculous weight of the thing.

But hey, it's 99 bux on something that could easily become your fave gun, after some loving. Besides, you have the antidote, so what's to lose?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:37 am 

I plan on using the AH without optics. Just for a beater and some variation.

I've put well over 1000 shots through the surge. Was much worse before breaking in. Cleaning the barrel made some difference. Still not sure if the scope was moving around. I used a 1 piece scope mount and confirmed all the screws were tight each session. I made the roller rest rsterne posted about. All helped but still far below my expectations. Tried many hold variations both offhand and rested. Many. Tried all my pellets. Will order more for testing.

1 1/2" group ctc is what I can expect. With the 953 I'm at 1/4" ctc indoors at 10m. For the surge I want 1/2". Not sure if that's obtainable but I'm going to give it a good try. Just waiting to hear back from vortek about customizing a spring for their kit. I don't want anymore than 600 fps. Accuracy is the only thing that matters to me. If the kit works out I'll deck the surge out with one of those nice 34 stocks from dl. When all is said and done I probably should have bought a lgv from the beginning. If tuning the surge works out I'll tune the AH as well and give that to my son or daughter when they are older.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:57 am 
Site Moderator

Hi jckstrthmghty,

Sometimes the problem with the cheap Chinese springers can be in the barrel. If your stock screws and pivot hinge are snug then I would move attention to the barrel. Clean it up and slowly push some snug pellets through to see if you have loose spots and/or a loose area at the muzzle. This can wreck accuracy.

Also check your breach seal for function and piston seal for cuts/nicks. You might be able to space up the original mild spring to give you a bit more power but likely not 600fps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:26 am 

TCooper wrote:
Hi jckstrthmghty,

Sometimes the problem with the cheap Chinese springers can be in the barrel. If your stock screws and pivot hinge are snug then I would move attention to the barrel. Clean it up and slowly push some snug pellets through to see if you have loose spots and/or a loose area at the muzzle. This can wreck accuracy.

Also check your breach seal for function and piston seal for cuts/nicks. You might be able to space up the original mild spring to give you a bit more power but likely not 600fps.

Thanks. I saw this in my other post and gave it a check. I did clean it up well and checked for inconsistencies in the bore however I did not manually try pushing a pellet through. I'll do that tonight. Breech seal seems ok however the piston seal is most certainly nicked. I've de-burred the piston tube to prevent future incident. Perhaps fixable but I would like to try the vortek kit.

If it is the barrel what are my options?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:11 am 
Supporting Member 2009

ricksplace wrote:
Woody wrote:
They worked for me. Where did you get your Diana spring from?

I bought a Vortek "docile" spring for a Diana 34. It didn't fit the stock Ruger guide, so I made a new steel guide.
The Vortek site has springs specifically for the Ruger now. Check out their website.
The docile spring makes the gun a very sweet shooter at about 13 fpe.
I bought it several years ago after the original broke and I couldn't find a stock spring in Canada.
Vortek springs get pricey with shipping to Canada. Are they worth double the price? I don't think so. If this spring breaks, I'll replace it with a stock spring.

I got a Diana 34 rebuild kit from Scopes and Ammo, sping, piston seal and breech seal. The spring fit in the AH no problem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:37 pm 

I bought a full power spring from R&R repair for about 40$.

Its the gun that sits @ the farm for piegon and pest control.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:30 pm 

Does anyone have information on converting an AH from .177 to .22? Has anyone here done the conversion?

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:37 pm 
Site Moderator

jckstrthmghty wrote:
TCooper wrote:
Hi jckstrthmghty,

Thanks. I saw this in my other post and gave it a check. I did clean it up well and checked for inconsistencies in the bore however I did not manually try pushing a pellet through. I'll do that tonight. Breech seal seems ok however the piston seal is most certainly nicked. I've de-burred the piston tube to prevent future incident. Perhaps fixable but I would like to try the vortek kit.

If it is the barrel what are my options?

You could try sanding the barrel if it has loose spots. If the loose spot is at the muzzle you could cut it off. If this fails then you would need a new barrel. If it's shooting terrible groups already then there isn't much risk in tinkering.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:46 pm 

All makes sense to me. I know there is a post you sanding the bore of the barrel with good results. I'll go read that one again. First have to ascertain it's the barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:00 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
I plan on using the AH without optics. Just for a beater and some variation.

As do I. But even without the scope the thing is a beast.
Since you plan to use with open sights you will appreciate the fibre optics in it. I detest FO of any kind but these are tight. The complete opposite of the 953 with its gappy, spaced dots. For this alone you may enjoy the gun.

Some here have an issue with the thick stock and some have gone as far as reshaping it (Peter Griffin apparently loves to carve things). Not a complaint of mine although I'd entertain buying the stock of the Black Hawk if one pops up for cheap. Would lighten up the gun a bit and give it a different look. Which in a way would be a shame as the wood in this thing is pretty.