Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:55 am 

Had my new Remington 1875 through the weekend after ordering it on Xmas day from Airgunsource. (bought myself the xmas present I really wanted)

This is a beautiful addition to my collection, especially as I'm kinda tired with peacemaker clones. The alloy construction is a little lighter than the real version but does provide some pride in handling. The grips are way too smooth and way too big, I would buy aftermarket wood grips if they were available....

I put 3 C02 cans through it and was getting about 70 shots before it felt like the C02 was weakening.
Not particularly powerful it shreds pop cans well enough though.

One issue I had was it will not shoot pellets. The issue is that the gun does not have the power/pressure to blow the pellets through the gasket on the cartridges. I tried Daisy wadcutters and hollowpoints, RWS Hobbies and Gamo Hunter. Only the Daisy wadcutters had any kind of reliability pushing through the cartridge gasket (4 out of 6 usually). Even once the pellets cleared the gasket (the odd time they did) the gun had almost no power and stuck the pellets sideways into my cardboard target. I'm going to try crosman pellets as per the manual once I pick some up. Has anyone else had this issue?

Any pellets that I shot through this pistol were keyholing at 7yds, no doubt due to the smoothbore.

Also it seems like the BB and Pellet cartridges are identical? I haven't miked the cartridge mouths yet but if there is any difference it must be in the mouth diameter of the cartridges.

Overall I had a lot of fun shooting steel BBs and H&N smartshot, both of which work great through either the BB and pellet cartridges.
I think it is false advertising to say this is a dual ammo pistol.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:49 pm 

I have 3 Umarex Colt Peacemakers SAA in BB, a Crosman/Remington 1875 (BB & Pellet), Umarex Ace in the Hole (pellet) , and a Bear River S&W Schofield No. 3 (BB & Pellet).

I mostly shoot pellets in the 1875, and they work perfectly. I use Crosman Wadcutters & RWS 7.0 gr. flathead.

All are fun to shoot. All have worked perfectly over the years, other than having to replace the inner barrel on one Colt SAA (it was a design flaw on the earliest models, but seems to been corrected)

I find the Crosman has the best accuracy, followed closely by the Schofield & the Ace, and the BB Colt being the least accurate. Which makes sense as longer barrels, rifled barrels (Ace only) and pellets tend to give better accuracy. All shot on a 24 ft. indoor range.

The Crosman get the most average good shots per CO2 (115-120) followed by the Ace (110-115), Colt SAA (100-105), and finally the Schofield (70-75). The 1875 has the highest mfg. claim for FPS (450) followed by the Schofield (445) Colt SAA (410) and then the ACE (340). Which again seems to be related to the barrel length.

I heard that the Schofield is no longer being produced. Is that correct? If so it's a shame, It shoots well, and it's the fastest to load (I use a speedloader):
(I think this is the one I have): https://www.replicaairguns.ca/dan-wesso ... peedloader

And it was the gun used by Clint Eastwood in the last gun fight of his last western (Unforgiven).

These modern airguns are an improvement over the old western air guns, the Daisy 179, Crosman 44, SA6 & 1861. Though the old ones are still fun to shoot, just lack on ease of use, velocity (other than the 1861) & shots per CO2.

The Colt SAA fits nicely in the Crosman 44 holster, or most any Peacemaker Holster. All the shell for all of these guns fit a .38 cal. cartridge belt. The 1875 fits nicely in a Crosman 1861 holster. Though I may be the last person out there with a Crosman 1861 holster, as I think it was not sold separately, and only came in a kit with the 1861,CO2,BB's,Pellets, Pellgunoil & Copperhead Belt Buckle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:06 pm 

I have the Colt, the 1875 and the Schofield #3 too. I can't get over the plastic front sights on the ace in the hole pistol. I got the black(ish) Schofield, I'll probably get the polished one and the 7.5 inch Colt to complete the collection (until they get another one out) I'll probably get the rifle too if the PAL issue is resolved.
I'm also planing on getting the M17, the new H&K replica and the full auto MP40, anyone interested in a kidney? Ugh and the shot show is coming soon with it's load of new cool airguns to buy...

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:46 pm 

Doc, it's sort of like an addiction isn't it?

I'm sort of hoping nothing new at Shot Show, so I can slow down the purchases. I've got the blowback Glock 17 on my radar & the Cowboy Lever Action, if the classification issue is resolved. But I sort of would like to slow down.

My wish list for Shot Show is sort of short, just a .22 pellet version of the Peacemaker of other shell loading revolver, but I don't think is on the horizon in the near future. I'm afraid though that someone will bring out a wood stock M1 Garland or M14 in BB or pellet, or a Spenser, Henry, or Sharps at SS and I would want it. Or maybe a 4 & 3/4 barrel, gunfighters version of the Colt SAA.

Also, Bear River may be discontinuing the Schofield so you may want to get that nickel one sooner than later.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:00 am 

The more I look into other peoples experience with the 1875 the more I think my particular gun is shooting weak.
I'm pretty gentle with the C02 installation having ruined seals in the past with overtightening. I have been gently tightening the screw while dryfiring until the gas discharges indicating the gun is ready. Usually I'll listen for the hiss as the gun gasses up but mine doesn't make this indication upon piercing. The C02 cartridge cap is very gently pierced by the time I finish screwing it in, looks like its barely punched. Even this requires a fair bit of tension on the screw, more than I'm normally comfortable with.
Do you guys think I might not be screwing the C02 in hard enough, restricting the power?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:19 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Doc, it's sort of like an addiction isn't it?

I'm sort of hoping nothing new at Shot Show, so I can slow down the purchases. I've got the blowback Glock 17 on my radar & the Cowboy Lever Action, if the classification issue is resolved. But I sort of would like to slow down.

My wish list for Shot Show is sort of short, just a .22 pellet version of the Peacemaker of other shell loading revolver, but I don't think is on the horizon in the near future. I'm afraid though that someone will bring out a wood stock M1 Garland or M14 in BB or pellet, or a Spenser, Henry, or Sharps at SS and I would want it. Or maybe a 4 & 3/4 barrel, gunfighters version of the Colt SAA.

Also, Bear River may be discontinuing the Schofield so you may want to get that nickel one sooner than later.

Totally! I can't help it, I just need this one last gun... and than they bring another one out :shock: :tonqe:

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun