Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Bedding
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:31 pm 

Would it help accuracy to bed an NP XL? I'm not sure about bedding airguns but would be interested to know if anybody has tried it

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Bedding
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:49 pm 

If you by bed you mean put foam between the stock and receiver tube I'd say no, but people swear by it... Well, I should say the swear it shoots more smoothly, but that's what they feel and if they feel it's smoother then there is movement between the receiver and stock, if so then it's stressing the screws and scope more than normal. I'll pass but you're welcome to try it.
Generally the accuracy of an XL, or any chinese gun, is due to the barrel quality, which can be improved by sanding or if need be you can buy another barrel which is ~$32CA. If it's in 177 you may have other issues since the gun works better and makes more power in 22. There are other things like using metal barrel washers, maybe sanding the barrel pivot bolt, shimming the scope etc which are basically fixes for the low quality. They also need this seal (imo) http://tinyurl.com/o7jsmwz
Sanding the barrel is risky but if you want I have details on that and a bunch of other info to help it, chevota at hotmail and I'll send it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:14 am 

Actually, bedding with closed cell foam doesn't put undue stress on the action screws. I've bedded several guns. What soft bedding does is reduce the felt vibration, making the gun less hold sensitive. Google " soft bedding an airgun stock ". Pull up the link from gatewaytoairguns.org. It contains in-depth instructions on how to properly soft bed a stock.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:33 am 

Before bedding etc. check for space between end of receiver tube & the inside of the stock where it is supposed to come to rest ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:06 am 

longhunter wrote:
Actually, bedding with closed cell foam doesn't put undue stress on the action screws. I've bedded several guns. What soft bedding does is reduce the felt vibration, making the gun less hold sensitive. Google " soft bedding an airgun stock ". Pull up the link from gatewaytoairguns.org. It contains in-depth instructions on how to properly soft bed a stock.
Thanks. I'm going to try this on both my NP XL .22 and my TX200

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:01 am 

hogman3006: so no gap between stock & receiver tube? A LOT of NPXl were like that including mine & many others I've seen.
Bedding won't help if stock channel is too big for reciever tube ... this is why the stock screws keep coming loos as well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:35 pm 

GoodEnough wrote:
hogman3006: so no gap between stock & receiver tube? A LOT of NPXl were like that including mine & many others I've seen.
Bedding won't help if stock channel is too big for reciever tube ... this is why the stock screws keep coming loos as well.
If the channel is too big, would a true post bedding not help?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:37 pm 

hogman3006 wrote:
GoodEnough wrote:
If the channel is too big, would a true post bedding not help?

Epoxy bedding, I meant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:35 pm 

A follow up to the gap question. There is indeed a gap in between the rear of the piston barrel and the stock. I believe this is of no consequence, as the recoil lug that wraps around the nut that holds the trigger in seems to be the primary source of mating in between the stock and the barrel. This, however, is a problem. There is a lot of play in the seating of the lug which, I believe, is allowing the gun to bounce around in the stock when firing. This rifle has been tuned with all possible mods and I still have a hard time keeping it accurate.
I am going to epoxy bed the lug into place and see if it makes a difference prior to soft bedding. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:38 pm 

Over torquing those screws and bolts, eventually cause the holes in the stock to wear into "eyes" over hundreds of cycles (including cocking) and gouge up a nice channel as well.
Roughly 45 Lbs to cock that piston with a lever, imagine the (dual) recoil.Most bedding jobs are on powder burners that generate a "mono recoil" if you will, so even glass bedding might come undone in a 'loose channel'.
Pillaring might come apart too since even that lug is loose in the stock channel & not enough stock material to brace for pillaring against linear recoil.

A "D" shaped slat of suitable non expanding wood or Delrin (to custom thickness of gap between action & stock channel heel) will effectively fix the root problem, you won't have to over torque anything & can still bed the rifle if so inclined
Remember once you bed it - it is harder to dismantle vs the gap fix solution. If anything, NPXLs major adjustments to the stock should be the comb height!
It s RIDICULOUS unless you have a GIANT head. Close your eyes & shoulder your gun - now open & see how far you have to lift your face to align your eye with the scope.even with the LOWEST mounts with smallest Objective lens on a 1" tube, it is too much.
If that comb height lent itself to a more natural line of sight, one may not have to spend hours on the elusive "Artellery hold"
As for lack of accuracy, try shooting a few groups without the shroud - smaller groups without it means incorrect torque on shroud when it was on.
I have used epoxy at the bottom of shroud (breech end) helps a bit but it is a fine balance to get the right torque that prevents the shroud from loosening during shot cycke or when cocking (unless you are a Lefty & then you are inadvertently tightening every time you cock it)
Keeping it too tight stretches the barrel taught inside the shroud & it resonates differently each shot causing inaccuracy. Best to test for repeat-ability sans shroud however, no difference, could mean a host of other issues including poor breech seal, loose barrel at the fork,
stock screws, action/stock fit, crappy leade &/or crown, lacking comb height, broken scope, loose mounts, not enough hours toward infinity spent practicing the "A Hold"

Hope I have shed some light !

Happy holidays :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:32 pm 

hogman3006 wrote:
longhunter wrote:
Thanks. I'm going to try this on both my NP XL .22 and my TX200

Ok. Tried it on my TX200 and my groups went from 3/8" at 25 yards to 1.5". I removed the foam. Lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:35 pm 

Longhunter: What I meant was the only way the bedding can work, imo, is if the screws are not tightened so much that the stock is locked to the metal. If the foam is allowed to do it's job then it can't be that tight, if not that tight then the reverse recoil will stress the screws. They can break, which happens when they loose, or they may elongate the holes. Depends on the gun, like some use the trigger housing to xfer that abuse to the stock, and the Crosman uses that D thingie, assuming it's in there well enough and doesn't bend.
Lots of internet folks say the mod is great, but so far several people have asked me about and then tried it, like the op, only to be dissapointed. My guess is those that were happy used it loose, then maybe it lasted, maybe not, but I don't see it as good. And of course there's the scope issue, since the stock isn't helping absorb the G's, the scope sees more. I think the real fix is adding weight to the gun, specifically up high so it recoils straight back n forth rather than rotating. A heavier scope seems to balance it very nicely for me.
Sanding the main seal to reduce dead air space increases compression which reduces reverse recoil, as do heavier pellets and tuning in general, so that's what I focus on.
Also; the XL needs a new main seal altogether b/c the oem sux! Get this: http://tinyurl.com/o7jsmwz
Or maybe this but I haven't seen it in person so can't say for sure it's built like the red one: http://tinyurl.com/yd83tcrj