Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:52 pm 

Here is my just acquired from fishguy (TY Ryan!) Cometa Indian .177 Spring Pistol.

This is a very quick review with 1st impressions.

1st - VERY easy to cock - you swing out the cocking arm and swing it over and down about 270 degrees; then put your pellet into the loading tray ( a little bit fiddly-diddly) and then close the loading tray and swing the cocking arm back to battery and take the gun off of safe - and she is ready to fire (becomes very quick and easy once you have done it a few times).

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2012/09 ... ol-part-1/

2nd - Very powerful - without my chrony I would guess about 475ish fps with 7.9 gn pellets.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2012/09 ... ol-part-2/

3rd - Very accurate - sort of surprised how accurate she is for a spring pistol (she has a very gentle firing cycle for a springer, as well); but with JSBs she is about as accurate as she can be with my wavering muzzle aiming... :oops:

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2012/09 ... ol-part-3/

BTW - I added some White-Out to the front blade sight to give me an easier sight picture when aiming (something I do with most of my pistols now)

Pics:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:49 pm 

Looks like an interesting pistol. I have to paint my front blades as well. Sucks getting old. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:31 am 

Cool looking pistol, thanks for the review!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:30 am 

Nice find. How does it compare to your NP pistol?
Been on the lookout for a springer pistol as I think it should be a part of anyone's collection - but several of the ones I've come across are low end junk. Seeing how guns in your hands have a short lifespan till you flip them will just keep on the lookout for when you post this one for sale :tonqe:

Looking at the pics of the loading bay in the first link made my stomach hurt. The thought of having that pin piercing my thumb while attempting to load a pellet should something go wrong means driving to the emergency room with a gun stuck to my right hand. Not a huge deal if I drove automatics but couldn't begin to imagine the hassle in trying to switch gears with such a large gun in the way. Ouch.
Any chance of that happening? I see it has auto safety but don't much trust them. Other than that, great looking pistol.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:45 am 

Joolz wrote:
Nice find. How does it compare to your NP pistol?
Been on the lookout for a springer pistol as I think it should be a part of anyone's collection - but several of the ones I've come across are low end junk. Seeing how guns in your hands have a short lifespan till you flip them will just keep on the lookout for when you post this one for sale :tonqe:

Looking at the pics of the loading bay in the first link made my stomach hurt. The thought of having that pin piercing my thumb while attempting to load a pellet should something go wrong means driving to the emergency room with a gun stuck to my right hand. Not a huge deal if I drove automatics but couldn't begin to imagine the hassle in trying to switch gears with such a large gun in the way. Ouch.
Any chance of that happening? I see it has auto safety but don't much trust them. Other than that, great looking pistol.

The loading tray is not sharp or dangerous in any way that I can see - just a little tricky to get the pellet loaded correctly every time...

The auto safety works well; it is very easy to disengage after you have cocked it and loaded.

I really like it for its ridiculously easy cocking effort for the power provided - compared to the NP Pistol it is so much easier to cock and it is more powerful and appears to be more accurate; as well.

It IS a Springer - but although it has a bit of a kick - it feels very comfortable in my average sized hands with holding it and firing it and the kick doesn't bother me at all; at all!

(This from someone who once owned an HW45 and simply could not handle the harsh springer action of it!)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:36 pm 

Thanks to your mini review I now know which springer pistol to get. Was considering the NP but these seem to be unreliable with all sorts of issues that creep up sooner or later. Not to mention this Indian looks so much better and has proper sights (rather than fibre optics). If you wouldn't mind PM me with what you paid for it or at least the ballpark. Curious to know what one goes for.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:40 pm 

wllm995
Watch a few vids. Cool pistol !!!! Image
Looks like cocking might take a bit to get use to....
Have you had a chance to try different pellets yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:43 pm 

HuskyDude wrote:
wllm995
Watch a few vids. Cool pistol !!!! Image
Looks like cocking might take a bit to get use to....
Have you had a chance to try different pellets yet.

Cocking takes only a few tries - then it is super easy!

Still checking her out; not as accurate with CPHPs as with JSBs...

8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:22 am 

Joolz wrote:
Looking at the pics of the loading bay in the first link made my stomach hurt. The thought of having that pin piercing my thumb while attempting to load a pellet should something go wrong...

Not to worry, Joolz. There is no pressure behind that pin at any time. You can if you want load the pellet before you cock the gun, but there is no need to.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:30 am 

A quick update:

As with any Springer - it took awhile before I learned to hold it correctly for the best accuracy.

I believe that i now have the correct hold down pat- and it has resulted in even better accuracy in my indoor range of about 30 feet...

:)