Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Chrony ~
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:14 pm 

Is this F1 a good buy for durable, accurate, easy to use, good reputation, easy to fix (if goes wrong).....??

Actually what I should need to know to buy a good but cheap chrony??

Thanks so much for any inputs !

Sent from my LG mobile

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

Post subject: Re: Chrony ~
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:22 pm 

See if you can buy one used. I only paid around 100$ new for my F1.

If I was going to buy a new chronograph, I would look at the Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph. Because it can data log to your smart phone or tablet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:07 pm 

X2
Great, well built units...
Mine came with the remote display. I think it was also $100 used about 5 years ago, and it's been a workhorse for me. There are newer/ different designs out there, but Chrony's pretty good to deal with, and offer fast parts and upgrades.
Just my tuppence...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:08 pm 

They are useless indoors without the light kit. I use LED stick on lights and have to fart around to get pellets going over the sensors perfectly to read. Bought mine originally for archery. But certainly worth having. I have the green F1 just like picture. I paid about the same a few years ago. You will need a good adjustable tripod camera stand so with gun rested you can put chronograph on same height. Then I have another adjustable tripod with a gun rest on top that I shoot off in the house. I can adjust it all to my duct seal pellet trap. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:35 pm 

I have a competition electronic pro chrono with the light kit. Works flawlessly in my basement.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:08 am 

They are made right here in Canada, Mississauga in fact. I bought a Beta Master from them directly from the manufacturer, they were great people to deal with, very friendly. They even assembled one for me while I waited, as the didn't have a Master model on hand. There was another gent there getting one repaired while he waited too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:00 am 

I suggest you go to the Shooting Chrony website and review the different models. If you go there be aware that although they are a Canadian company located in Mississauga, there prices are in US dollars.

http://www.shootingchrony.com/products_SCMMCM.htm

I would suggest if you get one to take a step up to the red Alpha model as it has:

All the features of the F-1 ...PLUS:

* ONE String, from 2 to 32 shot memory (Numbered)
* Measures High, Low and Average Velocities, Extreme Spread and Standard Deviations.
* Retrieval of individual shot velocity measurements
* Delete individual shots from memory (with automatic adjustment of Statistics)

Be aware also that you will need to buy (expensive) or fabricate (cheaper) some sort of lighting for indoor use. There are MANY discussions both in this forum and elsewhere on the internet on how to do this.

I have the Alpha chrony with some LED puck lights that I use indoors and it works well after some playing around with the lights.

If I was buying again I would probably take a good look at the Caldwell as well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:18 am 

I've had my F1 for 5 years now..Bought it from LeBaron(R.I.P.)in Mississauga..I've shot it twice and it keeps on ticking. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:14 am 

MyCrosman wrote:
I've had my F1 for 5 years now..Bought it from LeBaron(R.I.P.)in Mississauga..I've shot it twice and it keeps on ticking. :D

Only get one shot at a chronograph with an arrow. You got a good deal. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:16 am 

MyCrosman wrote:

My Alpha I hit just above the screen 3 times, the rear plastic that holds the sensor.

My F1 I hit the metal twice with 9mm.

If you haven't shot it. Than It's not a Chrony.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:29 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I have the red one, forget which model that is. I also have to fiddle with it indoors using LED lights. Haven't used it outdoors much, but remember it worked great when I did.

I got protector plates made by derekvineyard a few years ago. Lexan or plexiglass, can't recall. Well worth the money, they've taken a hit and just dented slightly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:01 pm 

It's so lovely to have knowledgeable and experienced ppl in the forum~

At least I know the chronies are bullet proof (9mm), arrow proof, of course pellets just a piece of cake ~

And one more question... Isn't that we should use the chrony to test muzzle speed not the target hit speed, right? In what case you guys can shoot the chrony just 1 feet in front of you ?!

Sent from my LG mobile

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:08 pm 

YepYep wrote:

At least I know the chronies are bullet proof (9mm), arrow proof, of course pellets just a piece of cake ~

And one more question... Isn't that we should use the chrony to test muzzle speed not the target hit speed, right? In what case you guys can shoot the chrony just 1 feet in front of you ?!

Sent from my LG mobile

Oh its not bullet proof. I just caught a lip. Lower and it would been new chrony for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:29 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I think they used to have an exchange deal. You can send in your damaged chrony, or one you want to upgrade. Not sure how it works, I assume they give credit towards a new one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:36 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
YepYep wrote:

Sent from my LG mobile

Oh its not bullet proof. I just caught a lip. Lower and it would been new chrony for me.

Hit mine in the same place as you...but with the 1377 on 3 pumps.....next day on 7 pumps.so just a slight bend. :oops: