Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:40 pm 

I use an old desk drawer for bb shooting and would appreciate someone in Toronto making a couple of 11 1/2 inch X 12 1/2 inch steel plates to use in inside back so as not to ruin the Masonite backing of the drawer. I have been using thick pad cuts of foam ( kids interlocking floor pads) with thin baking trays in rear to save the back but bbs penetrate these trays.
Any help would be appreciated as I am unable to obtain or cut steel plate. Can pick up on TTC routes from Victoria Park/ Eglinton Ave, Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:48 pm 

You can use blocks of duct sealer , that things looks like play doh, they sell it at Roma on warden and Eglinton, it’s in the electrical area

crosman 2240 (modded to target pistol)
crosman 2260 tactical
Beretta px4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:15 pm 

I heard duct seal is good and quiet.I shoot into a wooden cabinet, but I put some baking sheets from the dollar store in behind with some legs cut from old jeans a little bit in front of the sheet. they sell different sizes. a big one is 17" long and 11"wide. they are only a couple bucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:19 pm 

Adolfo wrote:
You can use blocks of duct sealer , that things looks like play doh, they sell it at Roma on warden and Eglinton, it’s in the electrical area

i use duct seal for pellet trap. If used for bbs there is a risk of those to bounce back at you if they hit head on. Pellets being softer will just stick to an embedded one or drop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:27 pm 

Goto the dollar store, and see if they got cheap baking sheets.

But if not, walmart.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:33 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

But if not, walmart.

As I mentioned at start of thread, The bb penetrates thin gauge baking sheets even after passing thru sheets of that firm foam so they don't last long at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:36 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

But if not, walmart.

As I mentioned at start of thread, The bb penetrates thin gauge baking sheets even after passing thru sheets of that firm foam so they don't last long at all.

Stack them. Your going to run into risks of serious ricochets. Going to need to put something to keep them from bouncing out as well.

Thicker rubber mat as well. The sub 500 FPS BB dented my Remington pellet trap that 1000 FPS rated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:00 pm 

my 350 fps bb gun was leaving divots in my crosman pellet trap galvanized backing. Not dents. Taking material away. Duct seal trap would eliminate any chance for penetration and ricochets. 1" thick and it easily handles 177 pellets at 800 fps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:57 pm 

Solutions for me to ponder to protect back of trap:
1. Duct seal in rear. But I can visualize out of a 10 shot small group 5 bbs would stick and 5 would hit those and bounce back not just falling down. In front of duct seal will be the foam pieces or cheap bits of carpet/jeans , etc. to slow down the velocity exiting from target.

2. Two baking trays instead of duct seal with the foam/carpet in front.

A steel plate would likely cause severe bounce back thru the front layers mentioned but I don't know for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:04 pm 

I bought a pellet trap from bass pro for $20, but the back was getting damage by my Crosman 2240 so I put a stainless steel plate and boom next thing I see is pellets flying around my head, so I put some duct seal inside and ta ta problem solve definitely do not use any hard material, I’m sure that stainless steel plate made my pellet trap bullet proof but the price is too high I don’t want to be hit by a pellet on my head

crosman 2240 (modded to target pistol)
crosman 2260 tactical
Beretta px4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:09 pm 

If your using BB's I wouldnt use any steel. Unless you got a carpet or something to shoot thru and limit bounce back.

We were shooting a MP40 BB gun at the indoor range and was still getting BB's coming back thru the curtains to keep jackets from coming back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:18 pm 

Ok folks, I am removing steel plate from my 'steel trap mind' and try other cheap fixes.
Thanks for responses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:29 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
Ok folks, I am removing steel plate from my 'steel trap mind' and try other cheap fixes.
Thanks for responses

For BB's. You want something like carpet to hit and make it loose the energy and drop. So multi layers of Carpet flaps. Than you could put the steel on the back side. To Make sure it doesn't ruin your drawer.

Just find people throwing out carpet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:37 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
ten-ring wrote:
Thanks for responses

For BB's. You want something like carpet to hit and make it loose the energy and drop. So multi layers of Carpet flaps. Than you could put the steel on the back side. To Make sure it doesn't ruin your drawer.

Just find people throwing out carpet.

The steel plate idea for protection of back is why I started the thread but I will go with duct seal and layers in front and just clean out after shooting session to prevent build up as I do with softer pellets. A $3.00 piece of carpet from dollar store can provide 3 pieces for my small trap ( or from under sofa where nobody looks :D )