Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:02 pm 

I picked up a Winchester SPX deer gun over the holidays with a rifled barrel. I was wondering if I would be able to use rifled slugs to sight in the scope with out hurting the rifling of the barrel ? I have several boxes that I will now most likely not use other wise now that I have a rifled deer gun. The other reason is I am cheap. The rifled slugs are $8 for 5 and the sabot slugs that the new gun shoots are $19 for 5. I realize the accuracy is not the same, but hopefully enough to get close and switch to the sabot slugs to fine tune.

Thanks.

Jeff.

Make a fast friend. Adopt a greyhound.
WAGG. Waterloo Area Greyhound Group.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:14 pm 

You can shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel. I mean it's only lead. Shouldn't really damage it. Though you get better accuracy with a Sabot.

Used to be Winchester 15 round pack for like 10$

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:28 pm 

Rifled slugs dont actually impart spin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:17 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hey Jeff,

Not all shotguns have robust enough barrels to be safely shooting allot of slugs, but according to this advert, the SPX was designed specifically to do so.

http://www.guns.com/2013/08/23/winchest ... r-shotgun/

Cheers,

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:14 pm 

I know of no shotguns made after the turn of the century, not capable of a steady diet of Foster Slugs(rifled).

Paddyfritz is absolutely correct in stating the rifling on the sides does not impart spin. Much of that 'rifling' is

compressed back into the slug before it makes it out the bore, due to obturation, even from non-choked smoothbores.

The raised rifling impressed into them, is so they are easily compressed when passing through chokes and more modernly, choke tubes.

I have read that rifled (Foster) slugs shot from a rifled tube are inaccurate. My Mossberg's(3 1/2" chamber) rifled 24" bl. does not know that.

From a rest, 5 of them will make a 1 1/2" group at 30yards, with the factory open sights, which are difficult to see, for me. This is with both

3" and 2 3/4" standard WW Foster slugs. I have not tried the Lyman moulds for casting my own, but a buddy has the new Lyman sabot slug mould

which casts a 525gr. in pure lead, 506gr. in WW lead. These are the correct size for putting inside WAA12R and WAA12W wads when making up

your own loads. Data for them in various makes and sizes of shot shells is listed in Lyman's Shotshell Loading Manuals. Velocities at or over 1,500fps are

quite common with Blue Dot, SR4756, Unique, Steel and Longshot powders.

So, yeah, some rifled barrels shoot them just fine.

If you can find "Made in Canada", "Challenger" 2 3/4" 12 bore slugs, loaded with what looks like the 496gr. Gualandi slug, at 1,610fps, buy them up.

VERY accurate and hard hitting - 1" groups (C to C) at 50yards, off a rest.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:31 pm 

Further - I am not impressed with the sabot slugs available. Tried some in my Mossberg and went back to the Challengers or

3" Winchester 1oz. at 1,760fps. For me, they are not a hunting situation, but rather, a defense scenario- bears in camp, that sort of thing.

I want full sized slugs- not undersized (.45 or .50 cal) sabots. If I want a .45 or a .50, I'll use the appropriate rifle, Sharps in .45/60, or Winchester

1876 in .,50/95.

If you want to get into loading them, a Jeff Tanner round ball mould in .690" to .710" will provide you with a 500gr. to 540gr. round ball. Loaded properly

with cupped wads, they provide even better accuracy than the Fosters and hitting power the same as 1890 12 bore rounds used for elephant, rhino and cape buffalo.

Nice - eh wot?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I cast ad load the Lee Drive-Key 7/8oz slugs. Not the best slugs, but fun to shoot and hit the target. I have shot them out of a smooth bore and rifled bore, at 25m I didn't notice much difference in accuracy.

A guy at work is looking for a slug gun, I suggested going smooth bore with open rifle sighs. That way you can soot buck shot out of it as well. The cost of sabot slugs seem to make them not ideal, $4 a shot is a bit rich for me. I'm likely wrong, but for slug ranges, the cost vs. accuracy difference don't make sense to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:56 pm 

Here is some smoothbore shotgun shooting slugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIggSRNP3A

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:15 pm 

Woody wrote:
I cast ad load the Lee Drive-Key 7/8oz slugs. Not the best slugs, but fun to shoot and hit the target. I have shot them out of a smooth bore and rifled bore, at 25m I didn't notice much difference in accuracy.

A guy at work is looking for a slug gun, I suggested going smooth bore with open rifle sighs. That way you can soot buck shot out of it as well. The cost of sabot slugs seem to make them not ideal, $4 a shot is a bit rich for me. I'm likely wrong, but for slug ranges, the cost vs. accuracy difference don't make sense to me.

I have great dislike for buckshot as I feel it is not as good as slugs, for shooting anything you might want to kill quickly. They do make very good very close range stoppers for police work as their
effective range of 25-35 yards or so is much less dangerous than would be using slugs inside populated areas. At least much past 100yards, they will not be lethal if innocents are hit. Not so with a slug.

My cousin if rural Southern Ontario used 00 buck for a couple seasons on deer and was very sad at his experience, due to poor killing power past 20yards or so.
His friends at work had talked him into using slugs. The bush is quite thick and they said buckshot was necessary to get hits. He found this to not be true, but that
the buckshot did not penetrate well and did not kill large bucks well, at all, requiring followup shots after difficult tracking jobs.

I talked him into using ordinary WW 1oz. slug and he killed his next 3 deer with one shot each! Happy man he was, with easy range of 60 or more years with just the bead front sight.

Slug guns with smooth bores do really well with both rear and front sights too. Much better than you would think
A person should try several different makes, to find the one that shoots best in his gun. Typically RP are quite a bit undersize (.690" instead of .720" or larger), with Federal and WW being the largest of typically available slug loads.

Just like an air rifle, they gun will show you which make and weight of slug is best in your gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:25 pm 

Thanks for the information. I didn't think it would be a problem. But better to ask and be sure.

Jeff.

Make a fast friend. Adopt a greyhound.
WAGG. Waterloo Area Greyhound Group.