Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:41 pm 

That's what I thought but wasn't sure, so thanks for confirming that my 50 cent key-less solution is sound. It may get a laugh out of LEO but I don't think that would hurt my feelings much. At least this way should one of the guns that don't fit in the safe be seen around the house, it has this trigger access delay device on.
As for safes, unless it's bolted to the wall you're just making it easier for the thieves to haul it out of your house and into their truck. It doesn't take much to bolt them to a wall, maybe a couple of dollars worth of hardware. Thieves are typically in a hurry and are lazy, so I doubt they'd take the time to try and ply it off the wall, shy of a determined one. Which is why it's good to have a few cheapo guns laying around, they'd settle for those instead since these are easy pickings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:35 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Thanks everyone for responding to this post -some great feedback and clearly "different strokes for different folks"!

I do believe to the letter of the law for Non-Restricted Firearms in Canada at this time, the only legal requirement for home storage is a secure locking device (trigger lock, removal of bolt, cable lock etc.) so that the firearm(s) cannot be fired and that ammunition be stored separately. Common sense (it can't be taught, you either have it a birth or you don't) however, dictates that all classes of firearms and their associated ammunition be locked in a container or room which cannot easy be broken into. Even the theft of a cheap non-PAL class gun is cause for great concern, because your weapon is no longer under your care and control, and such a theft would need to be reported immediately to your local police department ..... not too sure I'd like to be in the position of having to explain my lapse in judgement and lack of responsibility to Officer Friendly, or wondering where and how my stolen airgun might be used. When I'm at home, and my airguns are beyond arm's length, at the very least they'll have trigger locks installed and be secured in a display case. When I exit the premises, they are always locked in a gun safe.

Personally, I like these inexpensive plastic locks on my airguns at all times, the are small, lightweight and relatively indiscreet, not some monstrous thing covering the entire trigger guard. This ensures that no matter who is handling the firearm, it cannot be accidentally discharged, and this is a real concern with all my PCP rifles, as in a sense, whenever the air reservoir is charged, the gun is "loaded". Even without a pellet in the chamber, this poses quite a safety hazard, as high pressure air exiting the muzzle can still do some serious damage to eyes and ears. I have a feeling very few PCP owners completely bleed off their HPA reservoirs prior to storage -it's difficult enough to keep a PCP firearm within the ideal operating pressure range, and counter intuitive to waste all that air pressure prior to securing your gun. Personally, I don't like taking chances, so the only time a trigger locks is off one of my weapons, is just prior to shooting. The 60 seconds or so of my time to remove one of these cheap plastic locks really isn't a deal breaker for me, and given I have half a dozen air rifles, it's very cost effective.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:50 am 

I use Master Lock 94DSPT lock. I didn’t have much problem installing it onto my guns, either. It fits multiple firearms around my home, ranging from a pistol to a rifle. I love that I don't need a key to be able to take it off! Shipping was fast and eve thing works as it should.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:55 am 
Site Moderator

secure locking device means a device

(a) that can only be opened or released by the use of an electronic, magnetic or mechanical key or by setting the device in accordance with an alphabetical or numerical combination; and

(b) that, when applied to a firearm, prevents the firearm from being discharged. (dispositif de verrouillage sécuritaire)
---------------------------------------------
A trigger lock just slows down someone from operating the firearm. It's a good practice to help keep children safe. A criminal will just steal your firearm and spend a few minutes later to remove the trigger lock.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:58 am 

The RCMP use Zap Straps for court purposes, with firearms.

Just making a comment - not saying these are "legal" or not.

Due to the moving parts, they ARE a device. Nothing in the statute says you have to use a key or tool to unlock it
or that it has to be unlockable.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:27 pm 

Well...my preference is using a 'keyed' lock. Not a problem in identifying which keys unlocks which airgun (firearm) since the keys are identifying with a P-touch label. Also keys come in pairs...one stored,,,other used to open locks after opening gun safe. (I know...it's overkill!!)
Also the locks can be painted to match the 'action' colors if desired and make the firearm (airgun) appear as if it DIDN'T have a 'bulk' in the trigger area.
That's my preference and I've done this on a few of my 'select' airgun rifle Trigger Locks (MasterLock brand) and they look really cool and OEM.

Hawk-i

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:28 pm 

As for me I got the Master's (keyed one) and buy them by the pack of 3 so I have six key's and I put a small colored stamp for each different model, red is for the 1911S, blue is for Glock's, yellow for carbine's, green for revolver's and no color is for other's. Only 5 key's not that bad. They even fit on both of my double barrel 1911's (6mm).

SilentMan... :drinkers:

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:33 pm 

...... Looks I just grabbed the cheapest deal and when they were delivered, I found all the keys are same... So I have lots of backup keys in a drawer and only use one at the time... :eek:

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:00 am 
Site Moderator

Daryl wrote:

Due to the moving parts, they ARE a device. Nothing in the statute says you have to use a key or tool to unlock it
or that it has to be unlockable

Is the regulation below no longer law? Maybe it's outdated? I stumbled upon it when searching the Canadian firearms laws looking for info on trigger locks.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/reg ... age-1.html

(a) that can only be opened or released by the use of an electronic, magnetic or mechanical key or by setting the device in accordance with an alphabetical or numerical combination; and

(b) that, when applied to a firearm, prevents the firearm from being discharged.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:08 pm 

Hillbilly wrote:
The first time you drive to the range after carefully gathering all of your stuff, setup and find that you forgot the trigger lock key[emoji30] you convert everything to combination locks.

Second this plus i never change combo from default.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:03 pm 

TCooper wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Is the regulation below no longer law? Maybe it's outdated? I stumbled upon it when searching the Canadian firearms laws looking for info on trigger locks.

(b) that, when applied to a firearm, prevents the firearm from being discharged.

Interesting. I wonder if Zap-Straps, if used by the police, are exempt - :lol:

My master trigger locks (all keyed differently) respond to a 'master' key that came with the first trigger lock I bought. It also unlocked all of a friend's trigger locks as well, that are all "keyed" differently. He asked me if I would have it duplicated for him, which I did.
The newest lock I bought, does not respond to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:27 pm 

If your a owner of a laminated stock,from FX.The use of a lock is nearly impossible.Most the one's mentioned ,just fall thru.I have mentioned this to FX & suppliers.They have no recommendations.I even tried to aquire one's that i seen,courtesy of you tube.The expo ,in the UK.Hull cartiridge,had some on the weighrauch laminated hw100/110.That would work.They would not sell them,they said they were owned by the expo. FX Laminated stock owners...What do you use thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:38 pm 
Site Moderator

Daryl wrote:
TCooper wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Interesting. I wonder if Zap-Straps, if used by the police, are exempt - :lol:

My master trigger locks (all keyed differently) respond to a 'master' key that came with the first trigger lock I bought. It also unlocked all of a friend's trigger locks as well, that are all "keyed" differently. He asked me if I would have it duplicated for him, which I did.
The newest lock I bought, does not respond to it.

Yup, they have that covered. This Regulation applies only to individuals. The police are exempt from these storage regs.

Application
2 (1) These Regulations do not apply to members of any of the following classes of persons who are acting in the course of their duties or for the purposes of their employment:

(a) peace officers;
(e) persons or members of a class of persons employed in the public service of Canada or by the government of a province or municipality who are prescribed by the regulations made by the Governor in Council under Part III of the Criminal Code to be public officers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:54 am 

I remember going to the range and forgetting the key for my master triggerlocks so now all I use are combination locks for everything. I felt so silly since I took my father in law…lol

Last edited by IanC on Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:38 am 
Site Moderator

I don't have prohibs or restricted firearms so I remove trigger locks at home before going hunting or to the shooting range. That way I never need a key except when at home where the firearms are being stored (rather than in use). The firearms just need to be cased while travelling to the range, shooting area, or hunting area.