Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hello there!

Curious to know what other members are using in the form of a trigger lock to secure their airgun(s)? My favorite is this $3 each plastic jobbie -it meets regulation (delays access to trigger), is compact and looks pretty sharp (IMHO). Furthermore, these never scratch up your trigger guard or stock. Certainly not the be-all-and end-all in terms of security (gun safe for that), but serves my basic purposes well.

Avianmanor

Attachments:
TriggerLock2.jpg
TriggerLock2.jpg [ 40.27 KiB | Viewed 1667 times ]

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

Last edited by Avianmanor on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:10 pm 

I only use those trigger locks to ship firearms to new owners. Because they are cheap and no really sending them keys. I personally don't like them on my guns because takes forever to get one off.

But I got a bunch of master lock trigger locks and Remington key trigger locks.

But I got my pistols in a locker, and air rifles on a rack with a cable lock thru.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:21 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
leadslinger wrote:
I only use those trigger locks to ship firearms to new owners. Because they are cheap and no really sending them keys. I personally don't like them on my guns because takes forever to get one off.

But I got a bunch of master lock trigger locks and Remington key trigger locks.

But I got my pistols in a locker, and air rifles on a rack with a cable lock thru.

Ha ha, good point leadsliger, it's true, they do take a little time to remove and install. For me, "Forever" is about 60 seconds.

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:22 pm 

Avianmanor wrote:
Hello there!

Curious to know what other members are using in the form of a trigger lock to secure their airgun(s)? My favorite are these $3 each plastic jobbies -they meet regulation, are compact and look pretty sharp (IMHO). Furthermore, they never scratch up your trigger guard or stock.
Cheers!

Avianmanor

I second what you say about these but will also add the following. They can be pretty much opened with anything available, and you can also put a regular bolt or allen headed cap screw in place of the fancy headed one to make it easier to open.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:41 pm 

These.

https://www.amazon.ca/RioRand-Keyed-Ali ... lock&psc=1

Just standard affair and a great price. Air guns in a locked room. Everything else with trigger locks in a safe inside that locked room.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:44 pm 

Avianmanor wrote:
Hello there!

Curious to know what other members are using in the form of a trigger lock to secure their airgun(s)? My favorite is this $3 each plastic jobbie -it meets regulation (delays access to trigger), is compact and looks pretty sharp (IMHO). Furthermore, these never scratch up your trigger guard or stock. Certainly not the be-all-and end-all in terms of security (gun safe for that), but serves my basic purposes well.

Avianmanor

I hate those locks. Takes forever turning to get them on and off. Have over -- Master key trigger locks. I color code them so it is not a big hunt just for the key.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:55 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Those screw type locks are a bit easier if you make a screwdriver type key for them. I've soldered a key to a screwdriver shaft, also cut a notch in a wooden dowel and glued a key in. Anything you can just spin makes them easier to open.

I don't like key locks. Afraid of ruining a day of shooting by leaving the key at home. I prefer combo locks. Canadian Tire puts their Huntsman locks on sale for about $7 or $8 I think. Ebay has a some that are Master lock knockoffs, only better built (if you can believe it) for about the same price as the Huntsman. I prefer the Master style over the Huntsman. The Master has a small lever you flick, the Huntsman you have to swing the whole combo mechanism.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:06 am 

The first time you drive to the range after carefully gathering all of your stuff, setup and find that you forgot the trigger lock key[emoji30] you convert everything to combination locks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:42 pm 

Since I have a bad habit of losing keys and forgetting to bring them, I switched over to Franzen combination locks on all my air and powder burners.

Sent from my K00L using Tapatalk

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:46 pm 

Here's my 50 cent solution favourite. Yes, it is a trigger lock as it locks the trigger. Yes, it is enough to keep small hands from operating the gun (although they know better than to) and yes, it would take about as much time as the plastic solution in the pic above to open. But is it considered legal? Don't know. Since these are on sub Pal guns that are typically locked in a gun safe, don't suppose it needs to be. I simply don't have a good track record of finding misplaced keys. Have way too many keys to keep track of. Don't need any more.

Besides, these are 50 cent a set, unlike the $15 ones in the Pal guns. Suppose I could fork out for a locking nut in order to have the 'lock' part in place.

Attachments:
50 cent trigger lock.jpg
50 cent trigger lock.jpg [ 21.76 KiB | Viewed 1524 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:05 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Here's my 50 cent solution favourite. Yes, it is a trigger lock as it locks the trigger. Yes, it is enough to keep small hands from operating the gun (although they know better than to) and yes, it would take about as much time as the plastic solution in the pic above to open. But is it considered legal? Don't know. Since these are on sub Pal guns that are typically locked in a gun safe, don't suppose it needs to be. I simply don't have a good track record of finding misplaced keys. Have way too many keys to keep track of. Don't need any more.

Besides, these are 50 cent a set, unlike the $15 ones in the Pal guns. Suppose I could fork out for a locking nut in order to have the 'lock' part in place.

Interesting, might work since you require a tool to take apart. Unless you got strong wrench fingers. Some business sends firearms with zip ties around the trigger. If they are in a cabinet don't really need a trigger lock.

Anyone remember the ones that crosman used to give you? Just needed like 3 nails to pop it off?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:16 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

Anyone remember the ones that crosman used to give you? Just needed like 3 nails to pop it off?

I still have a few that came with some cheapo co2 pistols I bought 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:06 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
These.

https://www.amazon.ca/RioRand-Keyed-Ali ... lock&psc=1

Just standard affair and a great price. Air guns in a locked room. Everything else with trigger locks in a safe inside that locked room.

Description says "one trigger lock and two keys." Not what I would call cheap.

It's combo locks all the way for me. As has been eluded to, any trigger lock is a waste of money for security purposes. The requirement is a non-sensical, access delay ploy. For security, a safe is the solution, and even safes, not properly secured to the building that surrounds them, are iffy if not terribly heavy. Most "safes" people own are merely gun cabinets with locks - equally useless as far as true security is concerned. My vote is meet the requirements and use your brain to consider your personal circumstances and secure accordingly. Combo locks one number off "open" meet requirements, which is safe and unobtrusive for me because there's no one else in my dwelling unless I'm there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:17 pm 

I love these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Master-Lock-94DSP ... igger+lock

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MQH3ETK/ref ... ger%20lock

They won't scratch your stock or trigger guard. You don't have to worry about misplacing the key or leaving it at home when you're already at the range. Also, if you're super lazy, the law doesn't say that you can't leave the combination at 0-0-0 :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:20 pm 

Joolz wrote:

You are well within the legal requirements, not only because of your makeshift trigger locks, but because you have them in a "safe," and you appear as if you are not risking any logical safety issues. Read the regs to the very finest of print: there are no specifications as to what is an acceptable "safe," nor what is an approved trigger lock, as long as it actually blocks the trigger from engaging the device. The law is there to prosecute the stupid. The rule is relatively simple. Within the premises, non-restricted firearms require one lock to access, and restricted firearms require two. Let's not debate whether <500 fps are firearms or not, put them under one lock and everyone will be happy.