Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:15 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Thought it time to post a review of my recently acquired FX Streamline Walnut .22 PCP Air Rifle. Having read and viewed numerous reviews on this model, I was convinced it would make a fine addition to my collection. Upon arrival, my first glimpse of this Swiss made confirmed it's exceptional good looks, from the deep rich chocolate stained walnut stock to the gorgeous black satin finish on all it's metal parts. Shouldering the rifle is an absolute joy, lightweight, well balanced and perfectly proportioned. The side cock lever is silky smooth to operate and requires very little effort to cycle. The longer vertical cylinder on the end of the cocking lever offers a very positive grip and a variety of comfortable hand positions from which to operate. Safety mechanism is quite accessible for the right handed, although possibly a challenge for those with larger fingers. It's located on the top edge of the stock just above the trigger. Safety can only be engaged once the action is cocked, and automatically disengages when de-cocked. This differs from most of my other air rifles where the safety engages and stays engaged independent of the action. De-cocking is achieved by pulling the side lever all the way back, holding the trigger in, then cycling the cocking lever fully forward. The safety is now off and cannot be engaged until the action is cocked again. One must therefore manually engage the safety every time the gun is cocked.

The Match Style trigger is not only a joy to behold, but to use as well. Right out of the box, The FX Streamline has a wonderful first stage, followed by a very predictable and crisp second stage release. According to the included well written owner's manual, there are multiple trigger adjustments available; I may tweak these at some point to maintain a certain consistency across all my airguns, but factory settings are near perfect as they are.

The multi-shot rotary magazine slides into the breach from the right hand side, a real plus for those of us who own a side-focus scopel. In .22 calibre, the metal and clear plastic constructed magazine holds 11 rounds, loading in a similar fashion to many others of similar design; a drum is rotated around against a spring, the first pellet loaded in skirt first to hold the spring in place, then the mag is flipped over and additional pellets are loaded in nose first through an opening as the clear plastic cover is rotated around to each position. The magazine is quite compact and sports a pretty low profile, allowing a close scope to barrel mount, locking into place easily and intuitively. Not as simple to load up as certain other brands / designs, but overall well designed and looking mighty fine cosmetically when in place on the rifle. The clear plastic cover gives a pretty good indication of shot count remaining, and the design blocks the action from moving forward when empty. Unfortunately there is no mechanism to prevent double loading of pellets, so one has to be mindful of this when operating the side lever and taking shots.

The air pressure gauge is located at the end of the air reservoir, not on the bottom of the rifle - this is my only major bone of contention with this gun. Regardless of all safety precautions observed beforehand, I'll never feel comfortable looking at the business end of any firearm in order to check remaining air pressure; this said, I can live with it, especially considering all the other virtues the FX Streamline has to offer. In terms of filling with HPA, it's not only safer to monitor pressure with the gauge on your High Pressure Tank and/or compressor, it will more accurately indicate the fill pressure. The FX uses a probe style fitting which seems to be a negative for some, I actually find it's far easier to connect and disconnect than the standard 1/8 Quick disconnect I have on most of my other air rifles.

Now here is what I think is one of the most desirable features of this wonderful PCP rifle -variable, on-the-fly, power adjustment! A large, three position rotary wheel located on the upper left hand side of stock, just forward of the breech, is quite accessible and ergonomic to use. There are three distinct markings and detents on the wheel for each of the designated power levels, the lowest of which still provides ample velocity and FPE for plinking, close range pest control and target shooting. Moreover, the lowest power setting significantly reduces the noise level, allowing for a backyard friendly airgun and more stealthy operation in terms of pest control. I have yet to Chrony but I'll hedge bets the lowest setting will be well above 600 fps. According to the specs, this rifle is fully regulated and will provide 60 full power shots from a 3300 psi fill -it would make sense to me then that at lower power settings the shot count will increase. Have yet to pass enough lead down the barrel to confirm this hypothesis, but will follow up with another post once I have. In any case, I've never been one to obsess about shot count, and sixty per fill exceeds my expectations and personal needs. At full power, the FX Streamline, having it's moderator removed to satisfy Canadian regulations, does indeed emit quite a bark, however, it's not significantly noisier than any of my other .22 calibre PCPs. At some point in time I shall set up my SPL meter, and do some comparative readings with all my other rifles at one meter distance, the standard for SPL testing. As always, hearing protection should be employed.

So far, I've shot about 44 rounds through my new FX Streamline, and after mounting and sighting in a Hawke Sidewinder Scope, I've managed quarter sized groupings at 50 yards with JSB Exact pellets ....... pretty darn impressive for a brand new out of the box air rifle! Given the cost, cosmetics, ergonomics, build quality and performance so far, I'd say this is one of the best value PCP Air Rifles on the market right now, especially for those who would appreciate the classic looks of this gun. I couldn't be more thrilled with this purchase and suggest that anyone contemplating owning one themselves, should just buy one! For those who are on a limited budget, my advice is to "buy once, cry once", don't purchase a $500.00 PCP (for certain there are some decent ones out there in that price range) thinking you'll invest in something better later on ........ be patient, save your hard earned $$$ and pony up for one of these babies, you won't regret it.

Hope this review will be of some benefit to others who might be thinking of pulling the trigger on this "scaled down" FX product. If anyone has questions regarding my experience with the Streamline, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Cheers!

Aaron / Avianmanor

Attachments:
File comment: FX Airguns Streamline .22 Walnut
IMG_5395.jpg
IMG_5395.jpg [ 70.62 KiB | Viewed 3918 times ]
File comment: FX Airguns Streamline .22 Walnut
IMG_5397.JPG
IMG_5397.JPG [ 97.53 KiB | Viewed 3918 times ]

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:59 pm 

ImageImage
It looks like you've done your homework on this .
Agreed about looking down the barrel when reading residual air psi.
You'd think they would come up with a gauge that could be read from the side or mount the gauge on the bottom or side for easier reading.
I was thinking something like an enclosed rising stem gauge like an auto tire gauge. But way more elaborate.
I've heard...(pun intended) they are a little loud...
Maybe some day our Cdn. laws will catch up to other parts of the world concerning moderators.

I'd love to be able to afford one of these fine pieces of art. I'll have to keep saving my pennies for a bit more.
Anyway thx for sharing Aaron.
Awesome Review.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:19 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Congratulations on a very fine purchase!
The Streamline will hopefully give you (and me!) many years of laser - accurate quality airgun fun.
Here are some chrony results, based on 11 shot strings (1 full mag):
Power level 1, RWS Hobby 11.9 gr:
Average: 610 fps, 10 ft/lbs
Standard Deviation: 3.4
Spread: 8 fps

Power level 2, JSB Exact Express 14.3 gr:
Average: 762 fps, 18.4 ft/lbs
Standard Deviation: 5.2
Spread: 9 fps

Power level 3, JSB Exact Express 14.3 gr:
Average: 940 fps, 28 ft/lbs
Standard Deviation: 2.2

Power level 2, JSB Exact 15.9 gr: <-- my FT / metallic silhouette choice
Average: 740, 19.5 ft/lbs
Standard Deviation: 2.6

I am getting 64 shots on level 3 power, from 3300 - 1400 PSI, and 92 shots on medium, and over 160 (stopped counting) on low.

I can't wait for some warmer weather. Meanwhile, I am just getting bored stacking pellets through the same exact hole at 20 yards.

Air Arms HFT 500
FX Streamline laminate .22
Benjamin Discovery .22 (tuned)
Weihrauch HW30S .177
Weihrauch HW30 MK1 .177
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Crosman 22xx carbine (tuned)
Princess Auto Super Springer Deluxe ($34.99)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:41 pm 

Thanks CZ,

For sharing that technical info on your FX Streamline and confirming my suspicions in regards to velocity at various power levels as well as shot count -your findings exceed my expectations by a long shot! For sure 20 yard target shooting offers very little challenge with this amazingly accurate air rifle.

Aaron / Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:08 pm 

All of this from their "entry" level gun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:23 pm 

Excellent review, Aaron. Very impressive performance comments. Entry level (theirs), yes, but still a pretty pricey rifle, especially in wood/laminate. Congrats on your new purchase -- Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:23 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
All of this from their "entry" level gun.

Thanks everyone for all your positive comments regarding my review of the new FX Streamline Walnut Air Rifle. If I understand correctly, the design of the gun was "streamlined' to reduce cost, but given my experience with it so far, I'd have difficulty thinking of it as an "entry level" product -it remains a no compromise design. I actually prefer it over all my other PCPs, with the exception perhaps of the Daystate Huntsman. Both of these product lines are well thought out and ooze quality in every respect. Given the price, the FX Streamline represents an exceptional value, IMHO!

Aaron / Avianmanor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 pm 

Great review and info. I just personally received mine from AGS a few days ago. Waiting for replacement rings to come in (were sent 30mm ones instead of 1in) to mount my Hawke Panorama 4-12 AO. Definitely impressed with the gun. I am very experienced with PCP's from Europe having owned AirArms S410 FAC and Theoben Rapid II (the very first bottle based PCP).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 pm 

Nice review and info!
I was torn between the Streamline and the Air Arms S510. I ended up going with the 510 carbine in walnut. Great gun, just wish it was regulated like the Streamline. The three distinct power levels is nice too, no concerns over the dial wandering and throwing off your poi suddenly.
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:08 pm 

Congratulations! I've had my Streamline for about a year now, ordered it as soon as that first shipment came in. Also went with .22 but in synthetic. The first round didn't have shrouds, which they now appear to all have?

My chrony results at the 3 powers were as follows using 15.9gr JSB:

Power level 3: 905 fps avg
Power level 2: 710 fps avg
Power level 1: 510 fps avg

I'm sure each rifle varies a bit. The accuracy is astounding from every account I've seen on the .22, and mine has been no different. I haven't anything other than the 15.9gr and 18.1gr JSBs through it, both of which seem to be almost identical in accuracy. The 18.1gr chronied at around 880 fps if I recall correctly.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:49 pm 

Barfman wrote:
Congratulations! I've had my Streamline for about a year now, ordered it as soon as that first shipment came in. Also went with .22 but in synthetic. The first round didn't have shrouds, which they now appear to all have?

My chrony results at the 3 powers were as follows using 15.9gr JSB:

Power level 3: 905 fps avg
Power level 2: 710 fps avg
Power level 1: 510 fps avg

I'm sure each rifle varies a bit. The accuracy is astounding from every account I've seen on the .22, and mine has been no different. I haven't anything other than the 15.9gr and 18.1gr JSBs through it, both of which seem to be almost identical in accuracy. The 18.1gr chronied at around 880 fps if I recall correctly.

Sounds like I joined the "Streamline Club" a little later than many others, but as the saying goes, "better late than never". Thanks a million barfman for the chrony results. I'd be very interested in knowing the velocity at level 1 with a 18.1gr pellet -my guess is at this setting velocity would drop bellow 500 fps, qualifying the rifle as non-PAL rated.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:21 am 

Avianmanor

I just this evening reread your most excellent description of the FX Streamline and after months of saving and deliberation, I am super chuffed to say that my order for same was placed this morning!

Barfman as well provided me with top notch recommends and information on this beauty, from this site and from his great writeup on CGNz

My copy is also a walnut version, and it will be topped with the Aztec Emerald scope ..... (another recommend from Avianmanor) ...

My only issue will be filling ...( I have the FX hand pump coming) ... may be a challenge for an old guy, puff , puff, but in several weeks the portable Nomad air compressor will arrive, so I should be set!

Thank you again for all the help you two have so freely given and also many others on this terrific site (you people rock!)

Cheers and all the best from way out West

Lucky

PS... I will get some pix and give a full report after arrival and some test shots! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:48 am 

Ah, now that's exciting, Lucky! I still remember my time of excitement from the moment of placing my order very fondly.

Can't wait to hear how yours turns out. I took mine to the range a week and a half ago, took some shots at 100 yards after being encouraged by some onlookers. Printed a 1.5" 5 shot group, 3 of which were touching! I was overholding so much, I felt lucky to hit the target.

The range was busy, and the people who saw me shooting were blown away. A few guys tried it out, and seemed to decide on the spot to buy their own!

The other shots were from siting in some centerfire, a Norinco T97 and a BCL 102. It sure was nice going back to my Streamline with a far better trigger, no noise and no recoil!

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:19 pm 

Thanks Barfman,

for revealing the amazing accuracy of the FX Streamline @ 100 Yds -very impressive shooting indeed!

Loving mine -it remains as one of my favorite two rifles, regardless of purchase price, which is a bargain, IMHO!

Hey Lucky, Good on ya Mate! Welcome to the Streamline Club! Please be sure to give us a review on the Air Venturi Nomad Compressor and Aztec Emerald after you've received each. BTW, which model of Emerald did you go for?

Avianmanor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:23 pm 

Avianmanor wrote:
Thanks Barfman,

for revealing the amazing accuracy of the FX Streamline @ 100 Yds -very impressive shooting indeed!

Loving mine -it remains as one of my favorite two rifles, regardless of purchase price, which is a bargain, IMHO!

Hey Lucky, Good on ya Mate! Welcome to the Streamline Club! Please be sure to give us a review on the Air Venturi Nomad Compressor and Aztec Emerald after you've received each. BTW, which model of Emerald did you go for?

Avianmanor

Barfman .... Thats quite the shooting .. Holy Smokes!!! I wonder if other Streamlines handle that well??? The gun may be accurate, but you obviously are a +++ shooter! Very nicely done!

Avianmanor ... I shall indeed post a review here when I get my rig next week!!! Off the wall excited! Plan on taking her out upon arrival for a test shoot!

The optics...... I ordered the AZTEC EMERALD 3-18X50 ... Figure that is plenty of magnification @ 18 and down to 3X for the close work!

As for the Portable compressor .. I'm told they are very well built and should be ideal to fill at home and out on the farms from my truck on 12V ... Meanwhile it will be pump pump pump .. tired already thinking of this... but oh well!! :D

BTW .. This AM my pal and I were out shooting his brand new TX200 and after a few dozen pellets it started to pull some fair groups, but interestingly shot better with Crosman Premieres than the more costly JSB's

We shot some 1 inch 5 shot groups at 35 meters towards the end.... More tuning is needed but another nice handling rifle.... The only thing about it I found peculiar was the fact that once you slide the safety off... you can't return it to the safe position (Unless we did something wrong??)

Cheers to everyone

Lucky...