Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Parts Gun
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:27 am 

Great work Ross!! Nice job with the hammer, that must have taken some doing with the stainless steel insert and all. Gun looks great!
Will be great to see what kind of groups benched it'll get. With that nice trigger I'm sure it'll help, hey. How many pumps is it taking to 500fps?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:31 am 

For accuracy, it isn't too bad:

... and I was in less than top form off the bench. Just couldn't get settled in. Lack of gun weight is probably a contributing factor. Still, .21" on centers is nothing to sneeze at. Grandson did take a couple of jack/snow-shoe rabbits with this bbl and the 16 gr polymag predators at 15 pumps. He was well this side of 20 yds for both.

I couldn't quite see 600 fps with the 18.1 gr. JSB Heavy pellets. 575.4 avg at 25 pumps. This is where this particular build tops out~ going to 30 pumps only yields an increase of 10 fps. Interestingly, with these pellets, the narrowest strings occur at 15 pumps with a max deviation of 7.3 fps, and an average of 536.7.

The valve in this build is an old 22-89 valve with the bleed vent plugged.

I'm going to have to compare the milling on the bottom of the home made hammer with a P-Rod hammer. I may be able to relieve a bit more there, if memory serves me right.

I think for the up coming 2200 conversion, I'll use the 24" bbl. It's a bit faster at top end of a 13 series gun, and accuracy is a shade better. I'll leave this little carbine as is.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:22 am 

Snazzy little “parts” build there, Doc (with good accuracy to boot)…gotta like it! Cool idea with the threaded hammer pin, too. Nicely done! 8)

Other than a 760 I shot as a kid on the farm (my first airgun), never really been a huge fan of multi-pumpers. But, ironically, don’t mind pumping 4x 13ci bottles to 3000psi with a hand pump…go figure :roll: . Just finished rigging up my younger brothers’ 2289 (first variant) with a F-T-P & valve, aluminum pivot block/barrel band, etc, etc.. & have to admit that the MSP concept is slowly growing on me.

Sooo….seeing as a MSP is the only power plant I don’t have in my collection, I finished drawing up all the parts last night & going to start making chips this weekend for a 2260 MSP project I’ve been planning…basically same stroke length as a 21/2200 but with a 7/8” diameter 2260 tube rather than the 5/8” diameter 2200/13xx/2289 tube. Will start a thread on it once I get some parts made & assembled.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:55 pm 

Hey Todd! Been a while! :mrgreen:

I have been envisioning a similar project for quite some time. Lack of a lathe over here is the main stumbling block. I can't see myself coming up with a valve for such a build without one. For me, the obvious candidate would be a p-rod valve, instead of trying to mill one.

I wonder how far one could pump such a beast, before the pump handle becomes too heavy to move. :rolleyes: Still a good way to solve the volume dilemma. Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Thanks for the info on the 13 c/i bottles. I had been wondering about doing that with the Mk III Hill. ( It's half-past time for me to do a short tube bottled 78 )

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:43 am 

Great accuracy and power there Doc!
That project with the 2260 tube sounds like a powerhouse in the making!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk