Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:43 pm 

I will use my Slavia 631 mostly for indoor target shooting at 25 feet, would you install a scope or an apparture sight for that purpose? if you would choose an apparture sight , which model would you chose? I saw the one from D&L (Beeman for $79) is there any other model available? cheaper if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:53 am 
Admin-2-IC

Personally I would use an open sight but if the choice scope or an apperture sight then for sure apperture sight. I have one of those Beeman from D&L, it works beautifully, so accurate it's amazing, I mount it on my Diana34.
Something cheaper, how about the Tasco red dot $ 38.00 at LeBaron ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:14 am 

Hi Sniper,

I tried using the stock sight but I can't get used to that, it hides the target I am aiming at and I have a blurry view at the sight, That makes it difficult to aim with precision. I wonder if I will have the same problem with an apparture sight? Unfortunately I think I will have to spend $100 to get one to find that out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:36 am 

I prefer a peep sight. To bad that I don't have access to a Slavia 631. I could put together a crude temporary sight for you to see if you like it :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:44 am 

The factory sight on this gun sucks really bad. Too bad I don't have any more aperture sights for sale @ CAD$54.00.... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:48 am 
Admin-2-IC

snowman996 wrote:
Hi Sniper,

I tried using the stock sight but I can't get used to that, it hides the target I am aiming at and I have a blurry view at the sight, That makes it difficult to aim with precision. I wonder if I will have the same problem with an apparture sight? Unfortunately I think I will have to spend $100 to get one to find that out!

If the blurry view at REAR sight, the apperture sight might work since you can adjust the distance from your eye along the rail but if blurry view at the front sight then perhaps you want to get a red dot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:01 am 

I think the Tasco Red Dot wouldn't be a good choice in my opinion...the dot is far too coarse for an accurate rifle like this. Either a scope or aperture sight for this gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:07 am 

The apperture rear sight should work fine. It works like a camera lens , when you close it down to a small opening ,you more depth of field. To try this theory just take a piece of paper and punch a small hole in it and look at something ,that's normally blurry , and I'll see the difference, especially if you happen to wear glasses, take them off and do the test.I'm working on installing a front globe sight with muzzle brake and rear ( Lyman) apperture sight on my QB, that is if my machinist friend is available this weekend!!!, he has the lathe and milling...
Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:18 am 

Thank's guys for the usefull infos, the target I shoot most of the time is a paper with twenty 1/2" round dot at 30 feet, that is the reason the Slavia stock sight hides them, the dots are realy small at 30 feet!
Airgunfun, any idea where I can find the Williams apparture sight? does it fit on the scope grove of the rifle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:05 am 

You can get the Williams sight from SIR, I bought mine from Rob. 8)

Although I would like to know where I could get additional inserts. :? I find the stock one too large for detail work and ghetto DIY solutions (like electrical tape with a pinhole in it) don't seem to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:15 am 

Didn't I refer you to the Williams website? Order their catalogue for free and get the inserts you need. They offer excellent service.

I would like to try the Merit Iris Disc as an inert.

http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

Have you guys had a chance to read this review on the CZ 631?

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ispellan/Slavia631.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:06 pm 

I have decided to buy a scope for now and I will check for an aperture sight later. The problem I have is because of the unusualy wide groove(14mm instead of the standard 11mm) the scope is offset to the left, is there any scope rings designed for 14mm groove so the scope is centered with the rifle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:55 pm 

snowman996 wrote:
I have decided to buy a scope for now and I will check for an aperture sight later. The problem I have is because of the unusualy wide groove(14mm instead of the standard 11mm) the scope is offset to the left, is there any scope rings designed for 14mm groove so the scope is centered with the rifle?

The 14mm scope rail is what prevents many people from easily scoping the Slavias. D&L is selling the BKL 463A 14mm double straps for $53.99 very good scope mounts, but not cheap. :?