Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: gongs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:25 am 

Keep in mind I have almost zero experience with air guns

I am always on the look out for what fun things could be done at my club. I have seen off and on the speed steel shoots in the US. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyFrf_M88Hg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I077cElJm-8 Although setting this up at my club for 22 is almost out of the question, I got to thinking if it could be done with airguns. Does anyone have thoughts on what kind of material I could use to try it on a small scale to A) see if it can be done and B) see if anyone is interested in it. If it is a half size version (shot at half the distance so between 3.5 and 17yds) could the shot even be heard at 17yds if it is hitting the material? I was thinking .025 aluminum available at the hardware store, but not sure it is strong enough or if it would ring when hit. Yup, I know that is probably more expensive than steel, but easier to cut I would imagine. If anyone has thoughts it would be appreciated. The target sizes would be 9x12 and 5"and 6" rounds. If this is done at half scale that is. And I am only thinking .177 under 500fps

Not even sure if this is something I would try to get going, but to have ideas is never a bad thing.

Paul

Last edited by p14shooter on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: gongs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:37 am 

Indoor air rifle silhouette targets - chickens, turkey's pigs and rams are available. They ring when hit with .177 pellets.

They are also available sized to all be shot at a specific range, whether it is 10 meters or 15 or whatever.

You could also weld coat hangers to them and make a swinging target system or buy one of those with it's own pellet stop.

https://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-rocker-trap.html

These are available at many stores as in Princess Auto.

Aluminum is not a good air rifle target material. .025", ie: 25 thousandths is too thin imho.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:19 pm 

I use an old dull 10" saw blade that rings beautifully and can be heard with my old ears from 30 yards. Buy them cheap at CT or Home Depot. The 10" is a satisfying target at 50 yards and the portable saw size (71/4") works hot damn at +/- 30 yards. Wear glasses to be safe and no BB's. Hang them up on a tree limb or whatever you can cobble up.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:30 pm 

Check with your gun club first about steel. No steel allowed at our gun club anymore. But they laughed and said "they are pellet guns how can we say no to them". They know nothing about the modern day pellet guns. :lol: But if pistol shooters come on range I am on the steel goes away. :cry: They would rather spend $300 on knockdown rubber targets that are good for 1000 shots if you don't keep hitting the same spot with their powderburner pistols. :roll: Not allowed to do field shoots on the archery 3D range in the bush. Say steel would have to be in front of berms. Ministry rules, not ours apparently.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:12 pm 

Ive shot at alot of club with steel... Princess auto you can get a 3 size set of spinners for 22 cal for under 20$. I wouldn't leave anything permanent at the club. Because it will be shot. We got steel silhouette targets at the pistol range.. People taken high calibers to them and punched holes thru it. I shot at one club, someone shot a IPSC prop cast iron tub.

If you leave it there... It will be shot. No matter what...

For targets... Junction box covers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:41 pm 

I wouldn't use steel at a range either. The post was about "gongs" and in a safe, private or remote area, 1/8" steel sawblades are a lot of fun.

Lucas