Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:26 am 

So I have a dilemma. I want to treat myself to a quality'ish air rifle. Its a toss up between the Cometa Orion SH and the Krale Puncher Mega. The Kral is a side lever and comes with 2 mags. The Orion is a bolt and only comes with 1 mag with a extra being 60$.

Prices almost seems the same. Orion I have to get parts from D&L, with no option really that I found ordering myself. Unlike the Kral.

Not sure whats better. Please help me spend my money.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:05 pm 

JSR air rifles has made a balanced valve for the Kral that gives double the shot count. Might be fun to try once the honeymoon is over [emoji5]
http://www.jsairrifles.com/KRAL-Puncher ... _p_75.html

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:10 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
JSR air rifles has made a balanced valve for the Kral that gives double the shot count. Might be fun to try once the honeymoon is over [emoji5]
http://www.jsairrifles.com/KRAL-Puncher ... _p_75.html

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Thanks, but mostly these be fill and shoot guns. I probably won't tune or tweek them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:04 pm 

I like my Orion, but I wished I would have gotten the .25 cal. D & L listed the .22 shooting at 800 fps, but mine shoots over 900 with JSB 18.1gr.

Rich

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:12 pm 

Castle02 wrote:
I like my Orion, but I wished I would have gotten the .25 cal. D & L listed the .22 shooting at 800 fps, but mine shoots over 900 with JSB 18.1gr.

Rich

Thanks Rich,
How long have you had it and had any issues?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:06 pm 

I had feeding issues at the last shoot. I think it was because i left the magazine in the rifle during storage and it left the orings mis-shapened on the mag holder, so the magazine was a little loose. Before that, I haven’t had any issues with the rifle. Good quality rifle for the price.

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:00 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
I agree with castle02, the Cometa is very well built and represents excellent value for the money, a very handsome classic design indeed. Compared to my Benjamin Marauder however, drawing the bolt back to cock the Orion involves allot more effort. Unfortunately I have no personal experience with a Kral to offer an opinion. Owning both a Marauder and an Orion, for the few extra $$ I’d go with the Benjamin. The Mrod is also far more adjustable for those who want to tweak, and can also be CO2 powered for low velocity plinking and basement shooting. Having said this, I wouldn’t give up either one as each has its unique virtues. The stock on the Orion is in reality quite a bit nicer than the photo on D&L depicts. Both of these Air Rifles with scopes mounted will be heavy beasts to haul in the feild.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:11 am 

Avianmanor wrote:
I agree with castle02, the Cometa is very well built and represents excellent value for the money, a very handsome classic design indeed. Compared to my Benjamin Marauder however, drawing the bolt back to cock the Orion involves allot more effort. Unfortunately I have no personal experience with a Kral to offer an opinion. Owning both a Marauder and an Orion, for the few extra $$ I’d go with the Benjamin. The Mrod is also far more adjustable for those who want to tweak, and can also be CO2 powered for low velocity plinking and basement shooting. Having said this, I wouldn’t give up either one as each has its unique virtues. The stock on the Orion is in reality quite a bit nicer than the photo on D&L depicts. Both of these Air Rifles with scopes mounted will be heavy beasts to haul in the feild.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

Thanks, But a Mrod starts at over 700$. Also not interested in tweeking these guns. Just fill and shoot. I can push up to 100M in the backyard, but I got a 60M range setup. So I don't really shoot much in the 28ft basement. Planning on putting a window in the back of the garage and shoot from that, with heat, music and wifi. I'm trying to move away from Benjamin and or Crosmans. Why I chose these 2 rifles.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:13 am 

I just got the Kral puncher Mega marine in black synthetic stock caliber 25. My initial impressions are:

1. Stock - Feels like the Hammerli/Hatsan Pneuma synthetic I used to have. Not as solid as the stock of say an HW97kt Synthetic which is solid and heavy. Stock is more "plasticky" and hollow.

2. Cocking - Smoother than a Hatsan but rougher than say an Air Arms S410. Far off comparison I know . Lubed it a bit and cocking feels a bit smoother. I will dismantle it this Easter break and maybe lube it a bit more. Decent for its price

3. Trigger- Spongy and has a long first stage. Adjustable and could be better, same with my previous Hammerli/Hatsan Pneuma. Will try to open and lube it and polish a bit.

4. Fit (for me) and finish - Longish rifle with a big tube reservoir almost as long as the barrel. I attached my Hatsan air stripper, making it longer by another 3 inches.. ;-). Adjustable cheek piece which is nice. Quite balanced shooting free hand with scope mounted . (4-16x44 Leapers swat IR ).

5. Shooting/Accuracy - Adjustable power wheel is quite stiff out of the box. I used a flat screwdriver to test the power ranges. Turning, if using the wheel is quite difficult, maybe because it is new. Very accurate in my 15 yards basement range. Single pellet hole shooting from a vice set up (25gn cal 25 Air Arms pellets) Will try it at longer distance once weather permits.

Over all a nice buy for $620, landed here in Edmonton. Silver finish looks like the silver colour you could find in Norinco 1911, but much better. A good project rifle to powerize, using the youtube vids available mainly enlarging the air port etc.

I don't have any experience owning the Cometa but I did shot Castle02's cometa on one of the Calgary shoot. That was a nice rifle based on my recollection.. ;-).

Hope this helps.

A.

leadslinger wrote:
Avianmanor wrote:

Cheers!

Avianmanor

Thanks, But a Mrod starts at over 700$. Also not interested in tweeking these guns. Just fill and shoot. I can push up to 100M in the backyard, but I got a 60M range setup. So I don't really shoot much in the 28ft basement. Planning on putting a window in the back of the garage and shoot from that, with heat, music and wifi. I'm trying to move away from Benjamin and or Crosmans. Why I chose these 2 rifles.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:16 am 

apitagan wrote:
I just got the Kral puncher Mega marine in black synthetic stock caliber 25. My initial impressions are:

1. Stock - Feels like the Hammerli/Hatsan Pneuma synthetic I used to have. Not as solid as the stock of say an HW97kt Synthetic which is solid and heavy. Stock is more "plasticky" and hollow.

2. Cocking - Smoother than a Hatsan but rougher than say an Air Arms S410. Far off comparison I know . Lubed it a bit and cocking feels a bit smoother. I will dismantle it this Easter break and maybe lube it a bit more. Decent for its price

3. Trigger- Spongy and has a long first stage. Adjustable and could be better, same with my previous Hammerli/Hatsan Pneuma. Will try to open and lube it and polish a bit.

4. Fit (for me) and finish - Longish rifle with a big tube reservoir almost as long as the barrel. I attached my Hatsan air stripper, making it longer by another 3 inches.. ;-). Adjustable cheek piece which is nice. Quite balanced shooting free hand with scope mounted . (4-16x44 Leapers swat IR ).

5. Shooting/Accuracy - Adjustable power wheel is quite stiff out of the box. I used a flat screwdriver to test the power ranges. Turning, if using the wheel is quite difficult, maybe because it is new. Very accurate in my 15 yards basement range. Single pellet hole shooting from a vice set up (25gn cal 25 Air Arms pellets) Will try it at longer distance once weather permits.

Over all a nice buy for $620, landed here in Edmonton. Silver finish looks like the silver colour you could find in Norinco 1911, but much better. A good project rifle to powerize, using the youtube vids available mainly enlarging the air port etc.

I don't have any experience owning the Cometa but I did shot Castle02's cometa on one of the Calgary shoot. That was a nice rifle based on my recollection.. ;-).

Hope this helps.

A.

leadslinger wrote:
Avianmanor wrote:

Cheers!

Avianmanor

Thanks, where did you order it from?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:41 am 

[/quote]

Thanks, where did you order it from?[/quote]

Got it from Raman of Canada Shooting Supply... Free shipping for item $150 and up. Charges only the right GST from where you are buying from.. so only plus 5% in AB. Great guy, quick and fast shipping... arrived safe too. I have a Gauntlet coming this week in cal 177 form him as well. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:48 am 

apitagan wrote:

Thanks, where did you order it from?[/quote]

Got it from Raman of Canada Shooting Supply... Free shipping for item $150 and up. Charges only the right GST from where you are buying from.. so only plus 5% in AB. Great guy, quick and fast shipping... arrived safe too. I have a Gauntlet coming this week in cal 177 form him as well. ;-)[/quote]

Ah he only has 25 cal models from what I seen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:45 am 

leadslinger wrote:
apitagan wrote:

Thanks, where did you order it from?

Got it from Raman of Canada Shooting Supply... Free shipping for item $150 and up. Charges only the right GST from where you are buying from.. so only plus 5% in AB. Great guy, quick and fast shipping... arrived safe too. I have a Gauntlet coming this week in cal 177 form him as well. ;-)[/quote]

Ah he only has 25 cal models from what I seen.[/quote]

Contact him and he can get you the 22's as well. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:03 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
leadslinger wrote:
So I have a dilemma. I want to treat myself to a quality'ish air rifle. Thanks, But a Mrod starts at over 700$. Also not interested in tweeking these guns. Just fill and shoot.

Both rifles you're considering leadslinger are at the lower end of the PCP scale, so I wouldn't expect the "quality'ish" performance of more refined models. Owning both the Cometa and the Mrod, for $150.00 more you getting allot more of a PCP rifle in terms of ease of use and resale value with the Marauder, just saying. No one says you can't just fill and shoot the Marauder. You asked for opinions and that's what members are kindly providing. Ultimately, the decision is yours to make kind sir.

Cheers!

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:35 pm 

Avianmanor wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
So I have a dilemma. I want to treat myself to a quality'ish air rifle. Thanks, But a Mrod starts at over 700$. Also not interested in tweeking these guns. Just fill and shoot.

Both rifles you're considering leadslinger are at the lower end of the PCP scale, so I wouldn't expect the "quality'ish" performance of more refined models. Owning both the Cometa and the Mrod, for $150.00 more you getting allot more of a PCP rifle in terms of ease of use and resale value with the Marauder, just saying. No one says you can't just fill and shoot the Marauder. You asked for opinions and that's what members are kindly providing. Ultimately, the decision is yours to make kind sir.

Cheers!

Well they're not Maximus, Beeman, Bam 50s. Which I would consider the low end PCP.