Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Happy Chief day to me!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:45 pm 

Got my b-day present early this year, here it is along with its cousin the QB78D. I'm pretty stoked!
Came with no air so hoping it isn't leaking, but then again it will give me an excuse to take it apart if it is =)

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 pm 

Got it filled to 2000psi, we'll see where it's at in the morning =)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:39 pm 

Very nice !
Post up a grouping when you get a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:53 pm 

Will do! I'll have a shootout with the two QB rifles first chance I get =)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:01 am 

Hmmm, very nice! Happy for you mister :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:41 am 

That's a nice lookin stock.

.22 or .177?

I just ordered in a .177 bbl for my pcp'd AR-2078. Have a ways to go before I get to mounting it...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:54 am 

airmec wrote:
Hmmm, very nice! Happy for you mister :)
Thanks! =)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:01 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
That's a nice lookin stock.

.22 or .177?

I just ordered in a .177 bbl for my pcp'd AR-2078. Have a ways to go before I get to mounting it...

-D.S.
It's .22, and thanks, I like the stock too!
The front seems just a little thick but the pistol grip area is very comfortable. I replaced the trigger spring and adjusted the trigger, and pumped it up, that's about it. Still need to clean the barrel before I shoot it. Not sure why I didn't get 177. Probably should have. That's a great idea, getting a 177 barrel to swap out. Bolt too I suppose?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:25 pm 

Yes, the bolt main shaft will have to be changed out for the smaller caliber.
I had done this before with a QB-D, and it was nicely accurate. I had traded it off before going further than CO-2...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:49 pm 

That's great! Did you order from scopesandammo?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:23 pm 

Yes, that's where I got it.
Pricing is still in the upper reasonable range...

-D.S

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:37 pm 

Hi .

I've had my Chief since the beginning of the year , and just love it . You will find the QB Chief thread in Mods and Repairs section .
I have posted my mods to this thread. The trigger adjusting screws mod work well at getting the rifle shoot consistently every time .
Good luck with yours .

Gordon

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:31 pm 

Thanks Gordon! I did some trigger work on it soon after unpacking it, as it was pretty long pull and stiff. Anyway, a lighter spring and some adjustments and it's how I like it now. I really like how it shoulders and feels in the hands,its a well designed stock imo.
I've only been able to get 17 shots within 3% (809 to 833 fps 14.3gr), so not great for shot count or power, but I was expecting that from Bob's review and project. Mine has the hammer spring adjuster and I think I'm most of the way threaded out. Pretty stiff cocking. Been getting an efficiency of 1.5fpe/ci so pretty impressive in that regard.
Sometime I'll duplicate a few of Bob's mods, such as replace the poppet and drill out the gauge port and front hole in the valve. Hopefully will bring the power and shot count both up a bit.
For anyone wondering, the magazine system for the qb78 won't quite fit onto the dovetails of the chief. Would need a bit of grinding on the magazine system to get it on, which could be tricky.
I've ordered some high tensile socket head screws, m4 5mm, 20 of them so the first 5 guys that ask for them will get a free envelope in the mail =). Lloyd Sikes tested the stock ones and they weren't great. The high tensile are much safer.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:28 am 

I ran into the same thing with disco filler block/ valve screws. They may be o.k. in a 2K rated tube, but definitely borderline on a 3 K psi system.

Replacement with high tensile is a good move. I thought max fill on the Chief was 2K?
If you are getting 17 shots with-in 3% at 2K fill, you are definitely in the ball park.
I'm getting 17-19 (depending on temp) @ 3% in .22 with my 3K tube on pcp'd AR, with very slight pre-load on the hammer spring...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:17 am 

Yep, 2k is the limit for the Chief, but the Safety margin is not even 3 to 1 with the stock screws. For long term use I figured it would be wise to get stronger screws, since they are basically drop in replacement. If the tube strength is ever tested for strength and is able to take higher pressure this will open up the possibilities as well for a somewhat higher pressure. Doesn’t sound like any testing has been done beyond the screws.

Your AR pcp tube is probably not much more than 100cc Doc, would that be close? (Ahh,but 3k so that helps quite a bit)
The Chief has a larger diameter tube so I figured it should be able to get 20 -30 shots at the lower power range i'm at (820 avg). Bob mentioned a wider range of usable pressure once he switched to a peek poppet, so I was hoping switching to a harder poppet might do the same in mine.
That's a pretty good shot count you are getting with that tube in 22. Keeping a similar velocity in 177 should give you another 5 shots or so hey! (maybe more even?) That'd be nice..
Those AR2078 are nice looking guns!