Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:07 am 

I learnt a lot from the forum on how to set up a home-made backtrap. Being a military tank model collector, I have fairly good knowledge of composite armor, which I decide to use to make my own backtrap.

All the materials I used are the stuff in my household that were used in our last moving. I don't know why I still kept them: moving boxes, all kinds of shapes of plastic bubble wraps, and foam boards. The idea is to let the bbs penetrate the front, but stay inside the box with good mobility between the layers of bubble warps so they eventually roll down to the bottom of the box to be recycled.

I tested that seven layers of plastic bubble wraps is enough to keep bbs in side the box. My bubble wraps are of high quality and cannot be torn open with hands. Foam board provides further (maybe unnecessary) support. Thus, I figured out that I don't need boxes with a big depth; 3-4 inches are sufficient. For example, a rifle package box works perfectly once stuffed.

Once the box was stuffed, I marked the front side with a red cross, so I know which side should be facing the bbs if I have to move it around. Targets can be stuck to the front of the box via blu tack, which can be used repeatedly many times.

The box is super light, and costs me nothing. I made three of them with different sizes, including one narrow and long box. Like Lego blocks I can have different layout to suit different needs.

The only thing that needs periodic care is the front (behind the target). A easy fix by gluing another paper box board to it when the holes are too many.

I will post some photos next time.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:29 am 

Why not replace the bubble wrap with carpet flaps? It would last a bit longer. Dollar store you can get mats for cheap. Plus I would recommend putting a cutting board or something HARD on the very back side. Again can get at the dollar store.

I say that, Because sooner or later. It will punch right thru every layer and have a hole in your wall. I know mine went thru 4 layers of carpet and both ends of a clear plastic container.

Might bump the cost up, but its cheaper than patching holes in your wall, or losing your damage deposit.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:35 pm 

Yes I also take precautions to protect the back. I used some extra laminate floor pieces. BBs cannot penetrate them directly, as I tested.

Filling in a moving box with carpet flaps makes the box quite heavy. Maybe it is more durable. I will keep it in mind if mine does not last long. Thanks.

leadslinger wrote:
Why not replace the bubble wrap with carpet flaps? It would last a bit longer. Dollar store you can get mats for cheap. Plus I would recommend putting a cutting board or something HARD on the very back side. Again can get at the dollar store.

I say that, Because sooner or later. It will punch right thru every layer and have a hole in your wall. I know mine went thru 4 layers of carpet and both ends of a clear plastic container.

Might bump the cost up, but its cheaper than patching holes in your wall, or losing your damage deposit.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:50 pm 

Martnkhuu wrote:
Yes I also take precautions to protect the back. I used some extra laminate floor pieces. BBs cannot penetrate them directly, as I tested.

Filling in a moving box with carpet flaps makes the box quite heavy. Maybe it is more durable. I will keep it in mind if mine does not last long. Thanks.

leadslinger wrote:

Actually mines quite light. Just screwed the carpet flaps to a 1x2 and screwed it on top on the container. When it gets shot up, I just flip it and get more use from it. Since I try and put them in the same area.