Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:15 pm 

This is the scope that Wes B. has for sale in the for sale section.

I can't find branding on the packaging, scope, or instruction sheet.

Here it is on my Walleye board. Side wheel has a fair amount of weight to it. Rings are standard 4x4 anodized aluminum and show tooling marks. There's a soft lens cloth there, and an allen key to fit the rings. Rings are dove-tail tip-off, and are the equal of any in their class.

Elevation knob detail. Note it's 1/4" @ 100 yds, and not 1/4 m.o.a.
I couldn't figure out how to unlock the turrets- there's nothing on this in the "laugh a minute" instruction sheet. I had to ask Wes how it's done... simple enough- lifting up on the turret knob will lift it off the locking detent. Although a little stiff, this system seems to work well.
The windage turret has the same locking system.
Note the scale on the side focus knob. My particular scope will turn down 3 degrees or so past the 10 yd indicator.

I had been expecting an erector rod housing here. I suppose it's not really necessary on a 30mm tube. I'll leave the sticker alone until it weathers/dries off on it's own. Might as well keep everything as sealed and clean as I can for as long as I can.

Zoom ring. It turns easily without binding, or extra effort.

Illuminated reticle switch and power/color settings. Choices are red, green, or blue.

Performance:

Scope has carefully applied dark green coatings. It seems to take quite a bit of effort to get this scope to flare. I need more time outdoors with it to reach any critical conclusion.

Side focus seems to work well. It appears to focus at 10 yds and 12X.
There is a bit of a pin cushion distortion throughout the power band. It takes a brick wall at 20 paces to be able to notice it, though. Distortion appears gone by 80 yds.
Parallax seems to disappear by 100 yds at 12X- I can discern no difference with the side focus set at 100, or 300 yds.

Fast focus eye-piece- I had to turn it out almost as far as it would go to focus the cross-hairs at 12X. I'm far-sighted, and this condition is worsening as I age.

Reticle. Nice thin cross wires. I have not seen an effort like this in quite a while. Mil-dots appear evenly spaced. Turning on the reticle illumination turns that nice reticle into a pretty good blur. I'm not sure I actually need reticle illumination. The blue is a nice surprise. I'd like to see a red dot come out with a blue dot- it's a bit easier on the eyes.

It's actually looking not too bad so far. I was expecting poorly performing glass, but this seems alright. Glass is reasonably clear and bright. Not quite the sharpness of a Banner, but still entirely usable. The included flip caps are a real bonus. Other scope makers should jump aboard this bandwagon.

I'll have more once I can get a field and shooting test in...

Turrets click fairly well. There is no reference point on the tube to set the scales to zero to. I'll look into this later- I have a tiny drill bit that would be perfect for making a small alignment mark.

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:05 pm 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the scope Doc! I look forward to your further testing. I found it interesting that the adjustable eye piece had to be turned all the way out for your far-sighted eyes while my near-sightedness made me turn it all the way in. Guess thats why its adjustable =), I didn't really realize that before.
I noticed there is some little flat head screws on the reticle adjustment knobs. I wonder if that is to allow a person to reset zero?
The i/r never looked blurry at all on the one i checked, but i never looked at a target with it though. I'll see if i can update my ad with a picture of the illuminated reticle.
Thanks again,
Wes

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:42 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the scope Doc! I look forward to your further testing. I found it interesting that the adjustable eye piece had to be turned all the way out for your far-sighted eyes while my near-sightedness made me turn it all the way in. Guess thats why its adjustable =), I didn't really realize that before.
I noticed there is some little flat head screws on the reticle adjustment knobs. I wonder if that is to allow a person to reset zero?
The i/r never looked blurry at all on the one i checked, but i never looked at a target with it though. I'll see if i can update my ad with a picture of the illuminated reticle.
Thanks again,
Wes

I'm pretty sure that's the purpose of the slotted head screws on the turrets. I need to look again, and see if I'm missing an etched line around the turrets some where...

Hoping to sneak out Wed a.m. for an off the hwy gravel pit- which is the best I'll be able to do until the back country travel bans are lifted. It's awfully dry around here...

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:46 am 

I put the included rings on the scope last night.
It's easy to find the rear ring- it's the one with the recoil pin in it. :mrgreen:
There's no shoulder stop on said pin- the bottom of the ring is d&t all the way through.
Beginning to wonder if this is a springer rated scope :shock:
I don't know if I'm going to be able to get out for a shoot today. The continuing saga of wife's busted eyeglasses is becoming a major irritation...

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:25 pm 

Well you have new ''glass'', and she has busted ''glasses'', don't expect to live in peace until the issue is solved...! :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:10 pm 

lol! Hopefully you get those things fixed!

As for the scope being springer rated, I sent off the question to the supplier, and they replied that they are springer rated, so that's good news, for sure!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 am 

Her glasses got fixed finally. She can't really function without them. It was a rough 72 hrs for her. They ended up replacing most of the frames... n/c.

Hoping to get out in the morning for a quick field test- today sort of flamed out.

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:13 pm 

Bet she is relieved, you too!

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:08 pm 

At least she can see properly now.
Looking good for Saturday a.m. field test...

-D.S

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:35 pm 

Awesome =)!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:48 am 

Finally got out and got her mounted- on my 18" 22-89 carbine.

Rings look a little high here, but they're fine in practical use.

15 yard set-up. Shooting from prone, front rest only. Yellow rectangle in upper l/h holds the target.

Shot with these first.

4 went into about .26" on centers. These pellets are not very uniform, and it shows on the 15 yd target.

Switched to JSB Heavies which are my normal test pellet in .22:

Ten of them went into about .30" on centers, albeit with some wind dispersion. Wind couldn't make up it's mind when it was going to blow, and where :P
All shooting done at 12X, and 15 yds on the A/O knob.

I had to crank for elevation, but the scope has enough adjustment that I didn't have to go to a compensating mount.

Good enough. It holds a good zero.
I think this would make a reasonable close range hunting scope. I'm really hesitant to mount this thing on a springer- even though it's rated for it. It does well on this carbine.
I'll have to set up for windage indoors. Blowing a little too hard today to set a reliable zero.
Incidentally, at ten yds with that sight-in, I'm dead on using the first mil-dot below the cross-hairs :mrgreen:

I did not install the side wheel on the A/O knob. Gun won't fit my high scope gun case with it on.
Where to find a gorilla sized carbine case :rolleyes:

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:19 am 

Thanks for the pictures and the review Doc, glad to see it's holding zero :) .
Looks good!

Post subject: Bwahahahahaha!
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:14 am 

Did a bit more of an extreme test tonight.

It's about the right length for a medium power springer. Mounted on my BSA Meteor Mk-5.

It seems to want to shoot, and hold a zero against the dual thrust recoil cycle. Five RWS 8.2 gr. Meisterkulgens @ 12 M @ 12X, 10 yds on the focus scale. Not bad at all!! Front rest only.

I didn't use the recoil pin. I'm not sure there's enough room there for the pin to line up with the hole. I'll get a look later. After 30 some odd shots, there's no movement along the rails. Rings are a tiny bit high for this stock style.

Almost ran out of elevation. There's 6 clicks "up" left before the turret stops turning. A mount with +20 m.o.a. might be a good idea. I think it will dial in a bit better on a 15 yd zero.

I am impressed with this scope so far, and think I've found a semi-permanent home for it on the Meteor.... :mrgreen:

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:26 am 

Great to see the scope and gun are performing well together! Great shooting =)

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk