Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:37 am 

I live in the U.S. and I have some questions about Canadian airgun laws.

I see no airguns over 500fps.

Does that mean you can Register a 500+fps gun as a firearm and then own it? -Nate

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:04 am 

Airguns over 500 FPS and 4.2 FPE requires a firearm license. Problem is our government made any airgun over 500 fps firearms in the Criminal code.

They removed the long gun registry several years ago, so now no longer a requirement to register them.

Mainly just show your license, pay and walk away with it. There is a few thing I don't agree with. But I won't get into it, because the back lash.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:43 am 

Airgun Channel wrote:

Does that mean you can Register a 500+fps gun as a firearm and then own it? -Nate

Three are lots of air guns in Canada over 500FPS (I have a couple myself), you just have to show you have a license. Many stores however do not deal with the 500fps guns (or "real" firearms for that matter) so they don't have to be bothered with whole thing.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:57 am 

Spaceman88 wrote:
Airgun Channel wrote:

Three are lots of air guns in Canada over 500FPS (I have a couple myself), you just have to show you have a license. Many stores however do not deal with the 500fps guns (or "real" firearms for that matter) so they don't have to be bothered with whole thing.

A lot of the reason was they don't want to get a firearms business permit, and or their employees are technically not allowed to handle them, because many don't have licenses them self. I guess groups went after business like Canadian Tire and Walmart, once they found out the people selling them ammo or PAL rated guns didn't have a license. So asking to see a license, but technically wasn't qualified to handle it anyways.

I always had my license. I rather have a gun I can down tune, but have the option of full power. Than having it governed.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:43 am 

What others said, just more red tape and hoops to go through for firearms class airguns (>500fps/4.2fpe). Just wanted to add that this only applies to rifles (FAC), when dealing with pistols over 500fps it gets really messy since you enter the restricted category, way way more red tape and restrictions.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:24 pm 

Maybe some clarification would help those readers from outside Canada:

A PAL (Possession and Aquisition Licence) is the name for our basic gun licence, and also required for any Air rifle over 500fps/4.2 foot-pounds of energy. Air pistols exceeding these limits require an RPAL (see below).
The FAC (Firearm Aquisition Certificate) mentioned is the "old" version of a basic gun licence, and no longer issued.
An RPAL (Restricted Possession and Aquisition) is an additional certificate required for pistols, including air pistols over 500fps/ 4.2fpe. Use of these is, well, restricted a LOT more than the guns covered by a PAL. There are probably more levels of licensing, but PAL/ No PAL guns are what we see here on the forum...