Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: PCP Fill Station
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:48 pm 

If all goes according to schedule we should hear about our Yong Heng Pumps in about a week.
In the mean time I've been reading a few of the threads over on Support Equipment for PCP's, GTA and gathering some materials to help make
a "Fill Station"
This is what I have so far...maybe members could think of some other items needed and post up.

I also have.-Gallon Blue Indicating Silica Gel Desiccant Replacement Beads.
- extra 2" cotton filters.
- working on a Silica intake filter for the compressor.

Post subject: Re: PCP Fill Station
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:35 pm 

I have been trying to source in Canada the 13x molecular desiccant with no luck so far. All the places on E bay / Amazon don't ship to Canada.
Anybody got a source?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:19 pm 

Are you sure those water separators are 1/8 NPT? They might be M10x1.

My mini gold filter was M10X1.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:56 pm 

No I'm not 100% sure.
But I used some Loctite 567 thread sealant on the male foster fitting that came with the separator threaded into a 1/8"NPT Bleed vlv. Did a 24 hr test @ 3500psi with no leaks.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:50 am 

HuskyDude wrote:
No I'm not 100% sure.
But I used some Loctite 567 thread sealant on the male foster fitting that came with the separator threaded into a 1/8"NPT Bleed vlv. Did a 24 hr test @ 3500psi with no leaks.

I guess you would just need an adapter. M10x1 to 1/8 npt.

My current setup. But I wanted limit the amount of fittings I use. So I went with a longer hose.

I seen someone on GTA and holy fittings batman.

This is my plan I'm upgrading to. 72" whip ( 1/8 NPT ) that threads into an A Tee, with a gauge ( M10X1 ) on one side and the mini filter ( M10x1 ) on the other. and that has a female foster fitting on it.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:29 am 

MacG wrote:
I have been trying to source in Canada the 13x molecular desiccant with no luck so far. All the places on E bay / Amazon don't ship to Canada.
Anybody got a source?

I was having the same problem. Couldn't find any that would ship to Canada.
But with more research on the Silica Gel I opted for the
1 Gallon Blue Indicating Silica Gel Desiccant Replacement Beads
Much of silica gel's popularity is due to its non-corrosive, nontoxic nature and indicating features.
I know it's not as good as the 13x ( as indicated by the Blue line with arrows) but I'm okay with that.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:01 pm 

I am planning on putting the 2 smaller cotton swabs on either end of the gold filter and then filling the middle with blue beads. Wonder if that's a bad idea or not. The cotton will catch oil the beads water. That's my hope.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:08 pm 

tacticalcanuck wrote:
I am planning on putting the 2 smaller cotton swabs on either end of the gold filter and then filling the middle with blue beads. Wonder if that's a bad idea or not. The cotton will catch oil the beads water. That's my hope.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You want something more durable than cotton swabs, or you'll find it in your lines. I know I tried something similar for a dryer on my low pressure. I used quilting batten to keep the silica gel beads from getting into the lines and I ended up finding poly fibers in my lines. Then it clogged.

Doesn't the dryer come with foam/membrane disks? Why not put on at the end, fill with the beads and put another at the end?

What about looking at drying the intake air?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:41 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I bought the Yong Heng over a year ago and have over 9 hours of runtime on it so far.
So far a perfect performance. Hasn't skipped a beat.
I just make sure to replace the AW40 hydraulic oil every 30 mins of runtime.
One thing to look out for is the fill pressure gauge comes bone - dry since they're not allowed to ship it with oil, so just put some silicone oil in the fill gauge chamber (little black rubber button that you pull out) to avoid the 'hummingbird' effect on the gauge's needle when the pressure starts building up.

Air Arms HFT 500
FX Streamline laminate .22
Benjamin Discovery .22 (tuned)
Weihrauch HW30S .177
Weihrauch HW30 MK1 .177
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Crosman 22xx carbine (tuned)
Princess Auto Super Springer Deluxe ($34.99)

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:21 pm 

tacticalcanuck wrote:
I am planning on putting the 2 smaller cotton swabs on either end of the gold filter and then filling the middle with blue beads.
Wonder if that's a bad idea or not. The cotton will catch oil the beads water. That's my hope.

Yes that's what I have planed too.
The cotton tampons (approx 36mm) that are supplied with the gold filter fits very snug in the ID. They should provide a good separation between the silica gel beads and cotton.
I guess for added protection/separation a guy could run some round expanded metal ridged screens too. Something like this.
Make sure the beads are really packed tight. And the separator is some how protected against vibration

CZ-Sniper Image
Good call on the gauge!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:10 am 

I was able to get a deal on some of these compressor filters and have them on sale on my site for under $60 free shipping if anyone is interested.
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/high-pressu ... -pcp-pump/

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:26 am 

I was able to get a deal on some of these compressor filters and have them on sale on my site for under $60 free shipping if anyone is interested.
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/high-pressu ... -pcp-pump/
Looks like in the pictures they only put the tampon on one side. I thought it was the gun side but now I see I was wrong.
Anyway, I bought these blue silica dessicant beads, I think they're $14.46 on amazon.
4 PCS Useful Silica Gel Desiccant Humidity Moisture For Absorb Box Reusable https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01K1PRCS6/ref ... aBbM19JQ73

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:34 am 

Anyone here used a PMV (pressure maintaining valve) in their fill set up? Does it go right after the output of the compressor then the golden filter comes after, then goes to the gun/tank? Or should the filter come after the compressor output then the PMV comes next then output going to the gun/tank?

Also, for the PMV say set at 1800 psi or higher (but lower than the final psi goal in a tank or gun) how would it be able to fill a guppy tank or an airgun say at 3500 psi when it is set say at only 1800 psi?

Sorry for my ignorance but I still can't get my head around it despite reading so many discussions in GTA.

Thanks for your replies.

A

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:14 pm 

Look at the top pic. It shows the placement of the PMV (back Pressure Reg).
It's sole purpose is to allow a psi build up (1800psi) inside the Gold filter before the air enters into your bottle.
If you're running a modded Gold filter with Silica Gel beads for increased water absorption.
Then it might only work on initial filling of an empty bottle. It is said you will get better water abortion from the beads at a higher psi.
Although I have one on my filling station. I'm now wondering if it is really needed beyond the first initial fill.
Once your bottle if full 4500psi. You are really only ever going to be "topping up" the bottle.
Say refilling @ 2000psi thus never needed the PMV again till you SCBA is below 1800psi.
Does that make sense?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:00 am 

HuskyDude wrote:
Look at the top pic. It shows the placement of the PMV (back Pressure Reg).
It's sole purpose is to allow a psi build up (1800psi) inside the Gold filter before the air enters into your bottle.
If you're running a modded Gold filter with Silica Gel beads for increased water absorption.
Then it might only work on initial filling of an empty bottle. It is said you will get better water abortion from the beads at a higher psi.
Although I have one on my filling station. I'm now wondering if it is really needed beyond the first initial fill.
Once your bottle if full 4500psi. You are really only ever going to be "topping up" the bottle.
Say refilling @ 2000psi thus never needed the PMV again till you SCBA is below 1800psi.
Does that make sense?

Hi Husky,

Thanks for the arrows, now it makes more sense where the PMV should go(after the gold filter based on your diagram). Still a bit confused since the PMV will keep the pressure in the gold tube at 1800 psi, while the pump is say trying to top off a scba tank from 1800 to 4500 psi. Won't this be causing undue strain to the pump since it is trying to pump air at a much higher pressure beyond the 1800 psi which the pmv is trying to maintain inside the gold tube? Or will the PMV just keep the pressure in the gold filter at 1800 psi but the excess pressure passes through it to eventually fill the scba at 4500? Sorry if I don't make any sense.

A