Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:28 pm 

I'm not the best for reviews and nor am I an airgun expert.

I shot airguns when I was a kid, nothing serious, just cans and such. I'm not much of a super dooper group person so my groups are lacking.

I had a bunch of Benjamin and 22xx PCP' and well on GTA talking to the people and their higher end airguns. I decided to sell and get my self a quality airgun. It was a toss up between a Kral or a Cometa.

Ended coming down to the Kral had more mags for the price. Plus I wanted to try a side lever. I opted for the 177 because I don't hunt much, mainly a plinker.

Kral was 609$ + Tax, ordered a AV fitting so I hook it up to my compressor or hand pump fill whip. Raman @ CSS was great to deal with. I opted for the marine finish because I have issue with guns rusting.

Comes in a nice box with foam cut out, 2 mags, single shot tray, fill and suppose to a bipod adapter. Raman was great again getting me the missing bipod adapter. The rifle is quite large.

The wood was nice. But the finish on the air rifle. I found out is lacking. Same finish that on their shotguns, or hatsan and can be spotty. Came with blemishes. Raman again was great to deal with.

I just mounted the 3-9 I had lying around.

The 14rd mags are easy to load and the single shot tray is nice. The mags also works with long pellets like the H&N sniper magnums 14.97 grn.

Now the gun has a large 330 CC air tube. 20 CI, so It's larger than a 13 CI tank. Takes about 14mins to fill from 100 BAR back up to 200 BAR with my shoe box and about 60 pumps with the hand pump from 150 BAR to 200.

It has a power wheel which is nice, with 5 notches. Lowest it shoots around 608 FPS with 8.3 and full power 1060. Pretty much 100 FPS increase on each setting. I normally keep it in the middle which is around 800 FPS.

42 shots at 900 FPS only drops it 50 BAR down to 150. So you can get plenty more.

It slings a 14.97grn pellet at 885 FPS for 26 FPE, more than Ill ever need.

Mind you like ALL PCP's It's quite loud. Now no issues for me in the country.

I shoot from my covered front porch out a window. Little cramped but works. I sit on a stair. I cleaned up the area giving me more room. Also don't mind ma slippers, its for when she comes over.

Ive been working on the groups. Mainly group it at 20m because any further no trees and building to block the wind and its spotty. At 30m I got a bunker with spinners I tend to try and plink. Which has a mind of it own.

Pellet trap I use a Champion 22LR trap. That I put 1" target sticker on a piece of cardboard. At first I didnt group well, like 2" ( I know I know, not a bull eye shooter ) But alot of my issues was the rest.

I ended up with this.

It's much more stable. Not perfect but better. Big issue I have here is wind. Every day it is wind.

Well today the wind wasn't half bad and decided to do some shooting at 20M. I'm only using PA special 8.3grn dome grizzlys. With the odd flier both wind and me. Better pellets I would do much better. The gun is more accurate than me.

Honestly as a regular person, I'm quite happy with the purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:08 pm 

Great looking gun and nice performance as well! I have one in 25 with the synthetic stock. ;-). Enjoy shooting!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:08 am 

apitagan wrote:
Great looking gun and nice performance as well! I have one in 25 with the synthetic stock. ;-). Enjoy shooting!

They are great guns. I cannot wait to get a slightly bigger scope on it. Like to try a 30mm tube, 50mm objective. Maybe 14-16X.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:29 am 

Nice view. Good looking ag. The PA pellet variety in my town is plain awful. Horrible stuff. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:41 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Nice view. Good looking ag. The PA pellet variety in my town is plain awful. Horrible stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. Yeah I found at a gun shop 30mins away. That sells some quality pellets.

JSB, Crosman, Stoeger, RWS. The crosman 10.5grn crow magnums were only a dollar more than the cheapest place Ive found online. But I think the JSB were like 20$. PA has a sale on the 250rd count of pellets. But nothing domed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:05 am 

leadslinger wrote:
PA has a sale on the 250rd count of pellets. But nothing domed.

I was wondering about that. Some of the holes look quite clean. Too clean for diablo. I'm not sure at what distance a flat/wadcutter pellets accuracy tails off. Furthest I've shot flat pellets is 15 meters indoors with good results. Wind must play havoc with light wadcutters.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:56 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
PA has a sale on the 250rd count of pellets. But nothing domed.

I was wondering about that. Some of the holes look quite clean. Too clean for diablo. I'm not sure at what distance a flat/wadcutter pellets accuracy tails off. Furthest I've shot flat pellets is 15 meters indoors with good results. Wind must play havoc with light wadcutters.

I was shooting the Grizzly 8.3grn domes. Seem to cut the cardboard good. I tend to replace the cardboard. That I stick the targets on alot. I just cut a flap off a box, and got a bull dog clip that clips to the pellet trap. I shoot PPC and when the target backing get shot up. Little annoying when half the center rips and you have no idea where you hit.

Only issue is they're not the best quality. A lot of bent skirts. I heard wadcutters are not really that great at higher FPS.

I though about casting pellets for it. I got a wack of lead. But only problem I have is might be too hard for pellets.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:13 am 

My FWB 150 Tyrolean launched match flat point R-10 pellets at 610fps. Benched, at 25 yards, using a 12X scope they were still good for sub 1/4", 10 shot groups.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:19 pm 

Daryl wrote:
My FWB 150 Tyrolean launched match flat point R-10 pellets at 610fps. Benched, at 25 yards, using a 12X scope they were still good for sub 1/4", 10 shot groups.

But what about 880 FPS?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:33 pm 

my tx200 shoots 7.9g flat pellets, same match r-10's as Daryl mentioned, at around ~800-850 fps. Quite a few 10 meter 5 shot groups in under .2" holes in total diameter. I do have a hp vortek spring. Should be good for +900 fps. I'll try and fit in some range time this weekend to test at 25 yards.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:06 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
my tx200 shoots 7.9g flat pellets, same match r-10's as Daryl mentioned, at around ~800-850 fps. Quite a few 10 meter 5 shot groups in under .2" holes in total diameter. I do have a hp vortek spring. Should be good for +900 fps. I'll try and fit in some range time this weekend to test at 25 yards.

Hmm only issue would be the wind. There never a day not without wind.

20M its not too bad. The buildings and trees act as a wind guard. But after that its all open field. Im normally holding 2 mildots or more over if Im shooting the spinners at 30M.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:49 pm 

interesting i am looking for another pcp in 25 cal i am going to look the gun up ..............

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:27 pm 

Nice looking wood on that one.

I can't seem to avoid the wind here, either. That don't look bad for 20M in the wind.

I usually try to zero windage indoors at 12 M. It takes a lot of guess-work out of shooting in the wind...

The JSB pellets are worth it. If you can get some of the 8.2 gr domes, they're worth trying.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:37 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Nice looking wood on that one.

I can't seem to avoid the wind here, either. That don't look bad for 20M in the wind.

I usually try to zero windage indoors at 12 M. It takes a lot of guess-work out of shooting in the wind...

The JSB pellets are worth it. If you can get some of the 8.2 gr domes, they're worth trying.

-D.S.

Thanks. Yeah most of my firearm are wood stocks. Just didn't like the cheek rest on the syn. I'm thinking of setting up some wind flags. Hard to judge the speed and the direction when the grass is blowing different than the tree branches. Something I can setup on top of my trap.

I got it pretty zeroed at 20 with mid power. But setting I have it set now ( 900 fps ) I gotta aim a mildot higher. So next calm day I might just play with the elevation so its bang on.

Yeah I'm going to check out some quality pellets. When I start getting much better.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:22 pm 

Don't wait to get better~

A consistent, quality pellet will help your shooting. I was lucky when I got serious about a/g's the 2nd time around. The old cr. competition .22 wadcutters were easily available at that time. Those were a very good pellet. I have one blister pack left from bulk buying at the end of the '90's. I did some pretty impressive off-hand shooting with them out of a bone stock 22-89, so I knew my technique was on the right track...

It's nice to know that poor shooting is sometimes the result of inconsistent pellets...

-D.S.