Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: KANDAR 6-18x50 FFP Scope
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:41 pm 

Wes was nice enough to send me one of these scopes for a review.

It's a quick simple review.

Packing came with the typical manual, lens cleaner, cardboard box. Of course Wes packed it well, and received no damage. Also quick shipping.

So its a 6-18x50mm Side Focus. 30mm Tube, this is my first ever 30mm and side focus scope. I'm coming from a 3-9 so that extra 9x will be nice.

I have to say it's very heavy but well built. Something you expect built in Poland. It weights a hefty 1lb 13oz. Comparing to a typical 4x32 CP scope you find with most crosman rifles. At 8.6oz. Scope caps are your typical cheap ones, but work. Better than the scope Bikini.

Size difference between it and a 4x32. And the current scope mounted. NS Mount master 3x9x40mm AO

The side focus goes down to below 12, Not sure if it's in Meter or Yards. Haven't really read the manual yet. But one thing I found that the dot doesn't line up with the Infinity symbol.

Side focus works pretty well as a range finder. Which is a nice feature. The dials are easy and smooth to turn. The windage and elevation knobs are cool. They're turret, BUT you need to push them in. In order for them to actually turn. If not, they just free spin. So no worrying about accidentally knocking the turrets. But you get positive crisp dial engagement.

The glass is a blue coated, very clear scope for the price. I say better than my NS mount master. This is 24m @ 18x according to the focus knob. Mind you there is some distortion because of the phone. 4 mildots per side. Just wish for a few more. It's clear in ALL power ranges 6 to 18x.

Mounted on the Kral its over a 10lb Gun. The focus knob just clears the mag.

I haven't got to shoot with it. But I think I'm going to enjoy it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 pm 

Looks good! =) Sure love that walnut stock!

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:38 am 

That's a real mahbble-cake walnut stock there :mrgreen:

I have the low profile 4-14 X coming in- should be sometime today. Worse than a kid waiting for the Simpson-Sears catalogue :P

Reticle photos from a phone? My S-6 won't do it, and it's a real chore getting the Nikon set up for it....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:14 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
Looks good! =) Sure love that walnut stock!

Thanks

Doc Sharptail wrote:
That's a real mahbble-cake walnut stock there :mrgreen:

I have the low profile 4-14 X coming in- should be sometime today. Worse than a kid waiting for the Simpson-Sears catalogue :P

Reticle photos from a phone? My S-6 won't do it, and it's a real chore getting the Nikon set up for it....

-D.S.

Thanks

Well I put it on a table and used my sand bag rests to keep the scope up right. Than took some finger placing to steady.

I do have 2 adapters that clamp on the scope to attach a phone. But I normally a smaller/lighter Galaxy Ace II.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:09 am 

Looks a little blurry/distorted on the edges but clear where it needs to be. Reticle looks good. Throw on a big side wheel and it may be a good choice for an entry PCP FT scope. Not confident it could handle a springer.

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Looks a little blurry/distorted on the edges but clear where it needs to be. Reticle looks good. Throw on a big side wheel and it may be a good choice for an entry PCP FT scope. Not confident it could handle a springer.

Thanks for sharing.

I did say was some distortion due to the phone. Its pretty hard to line up a phone perfect. But it's actually quite clear.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:27 pm 

Amazing job on the phone picture, I haven't been able to get anything close to that so far in my attempts =)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 pm 

Here a better reticle picture.

Also at 6x.

Here what I used to steady the scope.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:39 pm 

Good demonstration of how the reticle dots get smaller as you zoom out. =)
Thanks for the review!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:10 am 

Well I finally tried to shoot the rifle with the scope. Being that it's 1/8" adjustments. I'm maxed out on the elevation with still being 2 mildot hold off at 22M. I have a set of FX no limit rings coming. To give me all my adjustment back.

So I think other people will have same issues with these scope. You could try and shim the rings and get more adjustment from the scope. Other than that, I really like the scope.

But the hold off the same between 6x and 18X.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:43 am 

I think the mounts sometimes do an important job in zeroing a scope....

I have one Walter 4x32 scope which I bought before my Hawke... It's now sitting on my 1322 with a new one piece mount well. And while zeroing, I only did about 10 clicks something each.

Before that, I last time mounted it with a set of two pieces cheap rings, I maxed out the adjustment range to set it to left ( it shot more than an inch to the right in 10 yards while initially installed)... And finally I have to put a piece of thin clothes between the ring inner wall and the scope body to zero it right...

Maybe one piece mount would be easier to install correctly than two pieces ring set, but a set of equality rings / mounts will give you less trouble....

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:44 am 

YepYep wrote:
I think the mounts sometimes do an important job in zeroing a scope....

I have one Walter 4x32 scope which I bought before my Hawke... It's now sitting on my 1322 with a new one piece mount well. And while zeroing, I only did about 10 clicks something each.

Before that, I last time mounted it with a set of two pieces cheap rings, I maxed out the adjustment range to set it to left ( it shot more than an inch to the right in 10 yards while initially installed)... And finally I have to put a piece of thin clothes between the ring inner wall and the scope body to zero it right...

Maybe one piece mount would be easier to install correctly than two pieces ring set, but a set of equality rings / mounts will give you less trouble....

Sent from my LG cellphone

Cant run a one piece and scope already too high for my liking. But need high rings to clear the mag. But I ordered FX no limited rings to solve this issues.

My UTG rings were the same. I had to use the stop pin to lift and shim with my 3x9. To keep from maxing out.

But my 30mm rings dont have a stop pin. I figure a 600$ rifle I can splurg on a 80$ set of rings.

But with 1/8 inch adjustment. Your going to use alot more than 1/4". Even with shimming ill still be max on the elevation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:17 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

One of the advantages of FFP....

I like mine low to the bore as possible. It seems to save a bit of grief in the long term.

I've become a fan of Burris Zee's. Their insert system easily adds 20 m.o.a. without torqueing the tube. More adjustment than that is possible by playing with the "+" and "-" inserts between front and rear rings. It sounds more complicated than it actually is.
In your case with the height needed to clear the magazine, a compensating base would be the most straight-forward approach...

It's going to be a long week for me optics wise. Found a set of medium height 30's for the 4.5 - 14 X 44, and there will be at least 2, possibly 3 steel tube weaver's to clock around the targets :mrgreen:

More on that a bit laterer....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:42 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

One of the advantages of FFP....

I like mine low to the bore as possible. It seems to save a bit of grief in the long term.

I've become a fan of Burris Zee's. Their insert system easily adds 20 m.o.a. without torqueing the tube. More adjustment than that is possible by playing with the "+" and "-" inserts between front and rear rings. It sounds more complicated than it actually is.
In your case with the height needed to clear the magazine, a compensating base would be the most straight-forward approach...

It's going to be a long week for me optics wise. Found a set of medium height 30's for the 4.5 - 14 X 44, and there will be at least 2, possibly 3 steel tube weaver's to clock around the targets :mrgreen:

More on that a bit laterer....

-D.S.

I like low scope. Better cheek welds, And less issues.

Yeah I know about the Zee rings and how they work. I just never thought about them. I mean I could put the single shot tray in and mount the scope lower, but defeats buying a multi shot. They need to make mags reversed so the round part on the bottom, so it doesn't effect the scopes.

Oh well 118$ later a set of FX no limits coming in. Will help also when It's time to move further than 30M.

Hehehe on the scopes. Wonder if you be able to shoot thru the Objective glass? Ive tried before and ricocheted off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:06 am 

AGS is great. Placed a order on the 3rd. The rings are sitting in Halifax and will be here tomorrow :D

So not much of a down time.